“Best Place in the world”
Review of Northside Valley

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frederiksted
Northside Valley
Reviewed 19 April 2015

I've stayed at Northside a number of times and I'm sorry it's taken this long to write a review. I can only chalk that up to: too busy that I need to go back there and live the way life is meant to be lived. At Northside, tucked away in a valley that's part of the Rain Forest and just up the long dirt driveway from the Caribbean Sea, really is the best place in the world (and I've been around the world a bit). It's very Private, comfortable and Beautiful.
I stayed in the Nita's Fancy, one of the eco-villas, two different times. It was perfect for me, my two little grandkids, daughter and her husband. There was plenty of room. We had lovely dinner parties in the big living room/dining room area and the front Lanai and back patio (with fab. view) were great for the kids (3 & 2) to play on. We all loved exploring the property (picking fruit, looking at flowers, humming birds) and walking down to the coral beaches . The snorkeling down front is one of the best places on the Island to snorkel, so is the Pier in Frederiksted which is only 3 mi. away. Sandy Point (the most beautiful beach), where the big turles hang out, is not that much further. The best beaches are close by on that side of the Island (Rainbow Beach, Sprat Hall, Sand Castle). Even when it rains, we go to the beach. It feels fabulous to swim in the rain and it usually passes quickly. In Jan.2014, we saw so many rainbows. One day we saw a double rainbow and later when we were walking on the F'sted Pier a rainbow stretched from a gorgeous lush mountain in the distance over the sea practically to our feet. AMAZING.
The first day I get there can be a bit of a cultural shock, but after a day or two, I never want to leave. I always lose weight while I'm there, and get in better shape with swimming and snorkeling, and just walking up and down the property. It feels sooooo good to be in the open air houses with the lovely breezes. Soooo relaxing! This is CLEAN, FEEL GOOD LIVING. I love it! We are going again next winter for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Just talk to Ginger.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Leah B

Reviewed 10 March 2015

This February I spent 2 magical weeks at Northside Valley eco-villa's on the west end of St. Croix, USVI. There are several cottages, up a long dirt driveway, situated in the rain forest, surrounded by lush gardens. Each villa is actually a small house. The three I toured were all clean, with open floor plans and ocean views. We stayed in the Shepard's Hut,a private, large stone house with a magnificent great room, huge porch and patio with an ocean view. There are no windows, only screens, so the delightful blend of surf/frogs/insects/birds created a nightly symphony. I miss laying in the very comfortable bed there and looking out at flowers and hummingbirds.Our really sweet gardener picked us a papaya from the tree next to our porch.The night sky is fantastic.

Ginger Vanderveer, the owner of Northside Valley is friendly and wonderful. She went beyond the
call of duty to make us feel welcome and to help us plan our activities, I made a new friend who I look forward to seeing again soon! I would recommend these villas to anyone who loves nature. It's best to rent a car, but there is a lovely beach ( with good snorkeling) less than a 5 min walk away, as well as some great hikes in the rain forest ( an easy walk from Northside).

My vacation there was such a welcome break from this long winter in the north east. I will definitely return & highly recommend!!

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Teresa C
Reviewed 27 February 2015

AMAZING FABULOUS EXPERIENCE!!!! CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!!! We stayed at Leah's Leap, GREAT views over the tops of the palms trees with the Carribean in the background.
FABULOUS SANDY BEACHES IN SHORT WALKING DISTANCE. You can walk down the hill through beautiful, rainforest vegetation to your own private beach where there is some OF THE BEST SNORKELLING on the island. ( NOT A CROWDED BEACH like St. Thomas etc.) COMFORTABLE MATTRESSES!!! These wonderful "Polynesian style" cottages ALL WITH GRAND DECKS are spacious and nestled into several acres on a hillside over looking the sea. Our house was quite private, AND TROPICAL birds would perch on our drinks while we were sunbathing on the deck. The cool island breezes were spectacular and the house screened in so it felt like OUTDOOR LIVING and was nicely appointed and VERY COMFORTABLE ALL AROUND, EVEN THE OUTDOOR FURNITURE. (We are sixty and very picky about comfort.) Large kitchens and living rooms. This whole section of the island is the least developed and near Frederickstead which has great restaurants and many more lovely, less crowded beaches to choose from. Just a mile or so from the cottage there were really great restaurant/bars situated on the beach where you could get great fish and salad and drinks steps from the sea. The staff at northside was delightful and went above and beyond our expectations. I can't wait to go back. In fact, I really missed waking up to the sounds of the rainforest and the views and breezes. Laying in bed looking out at the vista from all directions is GREAT.

Room Tip: wI fI WAS on the deck at the main house where the proprietor lives. All the Cottages seemed to have...
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank sidney j
Reviewed 24 February 2015

Staying at Northside Valley was an amazing way to be at one with the island. We (mom & two daughters) stayed for a week in the Ginger Thomas villa. There is a great view of the ocean and sunsets from the large porch and the villa is surrounded by rainforest vegetation, giving us plenty of privacy. (The outdoor shower is wonderful after days at the beach!) The villa is spacious with large bedrooms and a full kitchen which we used often for cooking dinner. The screened windows give lots of air flow and keep the house from being stuffy without an AC. We had plenty of hot water for showers, comfortable beds, and extra towels. The beach across the street is beautiful but rocky, so most days we drove a short way down the street to Rainbow Beach, an amazing stretch of beach for swimming, snorkeling and walking (and never crowded). We also highly recommend Estate Mt Washington, a gorgeous plantation ruin just around the corner & up the hill from Northside.

We cannot say enough about how wonderful Ginger (the owner) was during our stay! She lent us beach towels and snorkel gear so that we did not have to purchase any, and gave us fresh sour oranges from her trees (which made the best orange-aid!) She was always eager to give out recommendations for things to do & see, and provided us with anything we needed to be happy and comfortable.

The villas are a great way to experience nature and feel like glorified camping. Being in the midst of the rainforest, you are apt to have a symphony of tree frogs at night (a few on your windowsill) and some sudden morning downpours. The insects were a bit larger than the ones we were used to in New England, but the bug-sparys used in the villas keeps their presence down to a manageable amount. Lizards and hummingbirds are some of the more friendly visitors you will see often. As long as you are a friend to nature, you will love your stay at Northside.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Judy B
Reviewed 10 February 2015

We had a wonderful stay here at the Eco-village. I think this property is most suited to those who love nature and have done some light camping since it combines many comforts with a somewhat campy natural feel. We stayed in Shepherds Hut and it was so spacious it seemed like the size of the main floor of a ranch house. It had two porches! The kitchen with stove and frig and utensils and wine opener was a huge plus. Ginger is the absolutely perfect host and goes out of her way to deliver! The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is because of its location at the far west end of the island which is of no fault to the property itself. Since it takes some skill navigating back to the villa with a rental car we made an effort to be back by sundown, which in Feb was about 6 pm-ish, which some of you may not mind. I got to a level of relaxation and casualness that I haven't felt in a very long time. USVI tourism is trying to address the poorly marked (unmarked) road signs and potholed roads. The 4 laner from the airport is great, though. Funfilled days of endless beautiful turquoise beaches, Cruzan rum tour ($8 includes lots of drinks), food, visiting fancy hotels such as the Buccaneer for lunch and sunbathing on the public beach there. Wifi at the owner's "Internet cafe" on her deck. She even made me some tea.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2014

This is the second time we've stayed with Ginger and the 3rd time on the island. She was so accommodating with our 12+ person group and 3 Villa rentals. Everything we needed, even my many emails (and multiple changes) beforehand were taken care of. Ginger always goes above and beyond and we love supporting the locals. The property is beautiful as you will read in other reviews. Ginger set up a Turtle Watch tour for us, included us in the goings on around the property, took us on a hike up to Hamm's Bluff and had her intern take us out snorkeling! Can it get much better? If you are look for a local natural setting that feels like a home away from home instead of the more commercial resort, you've found your place! Make sure to check out Villa Morales, Rowdy Joes and Domino Club!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mallory L
Reviewed 15 September 2014

I stayed at Northside Valley for a week and a half during a work trip to St. Croix. The property is tucked away in a rainforest near the town of Frederiksted so that you get the feeling of remoteness but also have the convenience of town. The villas are wonderfully maintained and clean and give you the feeling of staying in a large, screened in, tree house! There are a series of wonderful beaches nearby for swimming and snorkeling and some great hiking spots nearby. The owner, Ginger, is incredibly welcoming and a great hostess! She is very knowledgable about the island and knows a lot about the history of the place, as well as great spots to visit. Overall, I had a wonderful time and Northside and would definitely recommend it for anyone who is visiting St. Croix and loves being in nature!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business