All reviewstucked awayrainbow beachnature soundsoff the beaten pathcell phoneexplore the islandgingerbutlervilladeckrainforestmilesbeachesleappropertysunsetcroix
Reviewed April 22, 2015 via mobile

My family and I do our best to visit northside valley each winter. We have been 3 times in the last 4 years, usually staying 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

We have stayed at Nita's Fancy which is just above the "big house". The living room is very spacious and there is typically a wonderful breeze that flows through the place, especially in the afternoon, evening, and early night. Ceiling fans help cool it the rest of the time.

There is no tv, but there is Internet access available over wifi. You may have to leave the comfort of the house to access it, but that is what I love most about northside. It's a place to escape the busy day to day life, spend time with your family, relax, and get in touch with nature. The millipedes, or gungalos, as they are called, do like to crawl in under the doors some. My kids love scooping them up with paper or cards and throwing them out back. Some years are better than others on how many, and some years the breezes are better.

It's fun being apart of the wildlife there. Hermit crabs scatter in the night when you walk around shining your flashlight. Fish are plentiful to see when snorkeling at butler bay, a quick walk away. At the bottom of the hill, there is another great snorkeling spot too. Papaya trees, mango trees, sour orange trees, lemon trees, and coconut trees are abundant. Ginger, the property manager, always looks out for us and tries to make sure we can try some fresh fruit while we are there.

She keeps the property like a jungle and it is an adventure each time we visit. Our kids love it and have so much fun just walking the property. Rainbow beach is gorgeous and about a mile away. We go there every day we visit. Frekereksted is just a few miles further and has a great place for Sunday brunch (called sandcastles I think).

There are a lot of wild animal noises at night and insect noises. This is for those who want to escape from the mainstream of life, enjoy wild nature, and be treated like family by Ginger.

Great job Ginger. We love Northside and will see you this winter!

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2015

I've stayed at Northside a number of times and I'm sorry it's taken this long to write a review. I can only chalk that up to: too busy that I need to go back there and live the way life is meant to be lived. At Northside, tucked away in a valley that's part of the Rain Forest and just up the long dirt driveway from the Caribbean Sea, really is the best place in the world (and I've been around the world a bit). It's very Private, comfortable and Beautiful.
I stayed in the Nita's Fancy, one of the eco-villas, two different times. It was perfect for me, my two little grandkids, daughter and her husband. There was plenty of room. We had lovely dinner parties in the big living room/dining room area and the front Lanai and back patio (with fab. view) were great for the kids (3 & 2) to play on. We all loved exploring the property (picking fruit, looking at flowers, humming birds) and walking down to the coral beaches . The snorkeling down front is one of the best places on the Island to snorkel, so is the Pier in Frederiksted which is only 3 mi. away. Sandy Point (the most beautiful beach), where the big turles hang out, is not that much further. The best beaches are close by on that side of the Island (Rainbow Beach, Sprat Hall, Sand Castle). Even when it rains, we go to the beach. It feels fabulous to swim in the rain and it usually passes quickly. In Jan.2014, we saw so many rainbows. One day we saw a double rainbow and later when we were walking on the F'sted Pier a rainbow stretched from a gorgeous lush mountain in the distance over the sea practically to our feet. AMAZING.
The first day I get there can be a bit of a cultural shock, but after a day or two, I never want to leave. I always lose weight while I'm there, and get in better shape with swimming and snorkeling, and just walking up and down the property. It feels sooooo good to be in the open air houses with the lovely breezes. Soooo relaxing! This is CLEAN, FEEL GOOD LIVING. I love it! We are going again next winter for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Just talk to Ginger.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Leah B
Reviewed March 10, 2015

This February I spent 2 magical weeks at Northside Valley eco-villa's on the west end of St. Croix, USVI. There are several cottages, up a long dirt driveway, situated in the rain forest, surrounded by lush gardens. Each villa is actually a small house. The three I toured were all clean, with open floor plans and ocean views. We stayed in the Shepard's Hut,a private, large stone house with a magnificent great room, huge porch and patio with an ocean view. There are no windows, only screens, so the delightful blend of surf/frogs/insects/birds created a nightly symphony. I miss laying in the very comfortable bed there and looking out at flowers and hummingbirds.Our really sweet gardener picked us a papaya from the tree next to our porch.The night sky is fantastic.

Ginger Vanderveer, the owner of Northside Valley is friendly and wonderful. She went beyond the
call of duty to make us feel welcome and to help us plan our activities, I made a new friend who I look forward to seeing again soon! I would recommend these villas to anyone who loves nature. It's best to rent a car, but there is a lovely beach ( with good snorkeling) less than a 5 min walk away, as well as some great hikes in the rain forest ( an easy walk from Northside).

My vacation there was such a welcome break from this long winter in the north east. I will definitely return & highly recommend!!

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Teresa C
Reviewed February 27, 2015

AMAZING FABULOUS EXPERIENCE!!!! CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!!! We stayed at Leah's Leap, GREAT views over the tops of the palms trees with the Carribean in the background.
FABULOUS SANDY BEACHES IN SHORT WALKING DISTANCE. You can walk down the hill through beautiful, rainforest vegetation to your own private beach where there is some OF THE BEST SNORKELLING on the island. ( NOT A CROWDED BEACH like St. Thomas etc.) COMFORTABLE MATTRESSES!!! These wonderful "Polynesian style" cottages ALL WITH GRAND DECKS are spacious and nestled into several acres on a hillside over looking the sea. Our house was quite private, AND TROPICAL birds would perch on our drinks while we were sunbathing on the deck. The cool island breezes were spectacular and the house screened in so it felt like OUTDOOR LIVING and was nicely appointed and VERY COMFORTABLE ALL AROUND, EVEN THE OUTDOOR FURNITURE. (We are sixty and very picky about comfort.) Large kitchens and living rooms. This whole section of the island is the least developed and near Frederickstead which has great restaurants and many more lovely, less crowded beaches to choose from. Just a mile or so from the cottage there were really great restaurant/bars situated on the beach where you could get great fish and salad and drinks steps from the sea. The staff at northside was delightful and went above and beyond our expectations. I can't wait to go back. In fact, I really missed waking up to the sounds of the rainforest and the views and breezes. Laying in bed looking out at the vista from all directions is GREAT.

Room Tip: wI fI WAS on the deck at the main house where the proprietor lives. All the Cottages seemed to have good views and were spacious.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank sidney j
Reviewed February 24, 2015

Staying at Northside Valley was an amazing way to be at one with the island. We (mom & two daughters) stayed for a week in the Ginger Thomas villa. There is a great view of the ocean and sunsets from the large porch and the villa is surrounded by rainforest vegetation, giving us plenty of privacy. (The outdoor shower is wonderful after days at the beach!) The villa is spacious with large bedrooms and a full kitchen which we used often for cooking dinner. The screened windows give lots of air flow and keep the house from being stuffy without an AC. We had plenty of hot water for showers, comfortable beds, and extra towels. The beach across the street is beautiful but rocky, so most days we drove a short way down the street to Rainbow Beach, an amazing stretch of beach for swimming, snorkeling and walking (and never crowded). We also highly recommend Estate Mt Washington, a gorgeous plantation ruin just around the corner & up the hill from Northside.

We cannot say enough about how wonderful Ginger (the owner) was during our stay! She lent us beach towels and snorkel gear so that we did not have to purchase any, and gave us fresh sour oranges from her trees (which made the best orange-aid!) She was always eager to give out recommendations for things to do & see, and provided us with anything we needed to be happy and comfortable.

The villas are a great way to experience nature and feel like glorified camping. Being in the midst of the rainforest, you are apt to have a symphony of tree frogs at night (a few on your windowsill) and some sudden morning downpours. The insects were a bit larger than the ones we were used to in New England, but the bug-sparys used in the villas keeps their presence down to a manageable amount. Lizards and hummingbirds are some of the more friendly visitors you will see often. As long as you are a friend to nature, you will love your stay at Northside.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family