All reviews tucked away rainbow beach nature sounds off the beaten path cell phone explore the island ginger butler villa deck rainforest miles beaches leap property sunset croix
Reviewed May 1, 2015 via mobile

Our first time to St.Croix was amazing. Northside Valley is nestled in with the island flora and fauna. Beautiful views, birds, geckos, and fruit trees! We stayed at Shepherds Hut, very private, romantic, spacious, clean, and relaxing. We are Canadians (early 30s) that appreciate getting away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Ginger is an amazing host and we plan on going back next year!

Stayed: February 2015
Reviewed April 26, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here with five friends for a week. Our group split up between the Little Brittany and Nita's Fancy villas. Nita's Fancy had a spacious living room where we could all hang out, eat meals, and play games. The two bedrooms in NF each had two twin beds (that my wife and I pushed together) and a shared adjoining bathroom. There are outdoor showers in both villas, and many of us used those exclusively. It was quite the experience. The windows are all screens and the weather was warm and humid at all times; thank goodness for the ceiling fan while sleeping. The kitchen was large enough for a couple people to work in there and stocked with most cookware and dining ware. However, it was very hard to keep clean; in the mornings we saw tons of small, dead ants that found any spills or crumbs that we missed the night before.

Speaking of bugs, we discovered cockroaches a couple times (most were sighted on the first day). They didn't bother me too much and were easy enough to sweep out the door, but I decided to wait until returning home to tell my wife I woke up with one on my arm. We also found a 7" centipede on a wall that I removed. I later found out they sting like bees, so be careful of those. I don't mention these to scare you, because we didn't think it was a big deal. I just want you to not be shocked if you see them. I should also say that Ginger tries hard to keep the bugs away with roach poison, so you likely won't find many (if any).

The villas are located a couple miles north of Frederiksted, up in the woods. I recommend renting a car if staying here. It's a beautiful location with views of the Caribbean from the patios/decks. A fire pit is available as well as a large covered, furnished area that could fit a large group of people. From the villas you can walk to a nice beach to the south or walk north along the shore to find the Monk's Bath.

Ginger was great! She let us use her landline and even offered our friends the shoes right off her feet when we went walking. She also gave good advice on the best things to do and see on the island. She cut a banana bunch off a tree that she let us pick from as much as we wanted. She was easy to find when we needed things and was incredibly friendly.

If you don't mind a little rustic living, this is a great place to stay on your visit. We would definitely return. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank John M
Reviewed April 22, 2015 via mobile

My family and I do our best to visit northside valley each winter. We have been 3 times in the last 4 years, usually staying 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

We have stayed at Nita's Fancy which is just above the "big house". The living room is very spacious and there is typically a wonderful breeze that flows through the place, especially in the afternoon, evening, and early night. Ceiling fans help cool it the rest of the time.

There is no tv, but there is Internet access available over wifi. You may have to leave the comfort of the house to access it, but that is what I love most about northside. It's a place to escape the busy day to day life, spend time with your family, relax, and get in touch with nature. The millipedes, or gungalos, as they are called, do like to crawl in under the doors some. My kids love scooping them up with paper or cards and throwing them out back. Some years are better than others on how many, and some years the breezes are better.

It's fun being apart of the wildlife there. Hermit crabs scatter in the night when you walk around shining your flashlight. Fish are plentiful to see when snorkeling at butler bay, a quick walk away. At the bottom of the hill, there is another great snorkeling spot too. Papaya trees, mango trees, sour orange trees, lemon trees, and coconut trees are abundant. Ginger, the property manager, always looks out for us and tries to make sure we can try some fresh fruit while we are there.

She keeps the property like a jungle and it is an adventure each time we visit. Our kids love it and have so much fun just walking the property. Rainbow beach is gorgeous and about a mile away. We go there every day we visit. Frekereksted is just a few miles further and has a great place for Sunday brunch (called sandcastles I think).

There are a lot of wild animal noises at night and insect noises. This is for those who want to escape from the mainstream of life, enjoy wild nature, and be treated like family by Ginger.

Great job Ginger. We love Northside and will see you this winter!

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2015

I've stayed at Northside a number of times and I'm sorry it's taken this long to write a review. I can only chalk that up to: too busy that I need to go back there and live the way life is meant to be lived. At Northside, tucked away in a valley that's part of the Rain Forest and just up the long dirt driveway from the Caribbean Sea, really is the best place in the world (and I've been around the world a bit). It's very Private, comfortable and Beautiful.
I stayed in the Nita's Fancy, one of the eco-villas, two different times. It was perfect for me, my two little grandkids, daughter and her husband. There was plenty of room. We had lovely dinner parties in the big living room/dining room area and the front Lanai and back patio (with fab. view) were great for the kids (3 & 2) to play on. We all loved exploring the property (picking fruit, looking at flowers, humming birds) and walking down to the coral beaches . The snorkeling down front is one of the best places on the Island to snorkel, so is the Pier in Frederiksted which is only 3 mi. away. Sandy Point (the most beautiful beach), where the big turles hang out, is not that much further. The best beaches are close by on that side of the Island (Rainbow Beach, Sprat Hall, Sand Castle). Even when it rains, we go to the beach. It feels fabulous to swim in the rain and it usually passes quickly. In Jan.2014, we saw so many rainbows. One day we saw a double rainbow and later when we were walking on the F'sted Pier a rainbow stretched from a gorgeous lush mountain in the distance over the sea practically to our feet. AMAZING.
The first day I get there can be a bit of a cultural shock, but after a day or two, I never want to leave. I always lose weight while I'm there, and get in better shape with swimming and snorkeling, and just walking up and down the property. It feels sooooo good to be in the open air houses with the lovely breezes. Soooo relaxing! This is CLEAN, FEEL GOOD LIVING. I love it! We are going again next winter for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Just talk to Ginger.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Leah B
Reviewed March 10, 2015

This February I spent 2 magical weeks at Northside Valley eco-villa's on the west end of St. Croix, USVI. There are several cottages, up a long dirt driveway, situated in the rain forest, surrounded by lush gardens. Each villa is actually a small house. The three I toured were all clean, with open floor plans and ocean views. We stayed in the Shepard's Hut,a private, large stone house with a magnificent great room, huge porch and patio with an ocean view. There are no windows, only screens, so the delightful blend of surf/frogs/insects/birds created a nightly symphony. I miss laying in the very comfortable bed there and looking out at flowers and hummingbirds.Our really sweet gardener picked us a papaya from the tree next to our porch.The night sky is fantastic.

Ginger Vanderveer, the owner of Northside Valley is friendly and wonderful. She went beyond the
call of duty to make us feel welcome and to help us plan our activities, I made a new friend who I look forward to seeing again soon! I would recommend these villas to anyone who loves nature. It's best to rent a car, but there is a lovely beach ( with good snorkeling) less than a 5 min walk away, as well as some great hikes in the rain forest ( an easy walk from Northside).

My vacation there was such a welcome break from this long winter in the north east. I will definitely return & highly recommend!!

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends