The Fred(Frederiksted)
US$156
US$225
Holger Danske Hotel(Christiansted)
Hotels.com
Hotel Caravelle on St. Croix(Christiansted)(Great Value!)
US$149
Club Comanche(Christiansted)
US$122
US$119
  • Breakfast included
Hotel on the Cay(Christiansted)(Great Value!)
US$135
  • Pool
The Buccaneer St Croix(Christiansted)
US$299
US$179
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Cottages By The Sea(Frederiksted)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewstucked awayrainbow beachnature soundsoff the beaten pathcell phoneexplore the islandgingerbutlervilladeckrainforestmilesbeachesleappropertysunsetcroix
Reviewed November 12, 2015

We loved staying on the west side of the island, and the Shepard's Hut was great. It was spacious and the view of the ocean was great. We loved being able to sit on the patio at night and gaze at the stars without light pollution. It's close to several beautiful beaches and you also have easy access to the rainforest. We especially liked that we were tucked away from most any traffic. Ginger is great to work with, and she gives lots of wonderful suggestions on things to do and information about the island.

Be aware this is very much an eco-villa. There is no air conditioning and you are asked to compost, recycle, and conserve water. If those things bother you, then this is not the place you should stay. However, if you want to experience a quieter, slower way of life with easy access to fresh growing fruit and quiet beaches, then definitely check this out.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2015 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for a few restful nights over Christmas before heading to the other side of the island. I loved the location, the peace and quiet, hospitality and rustic comfort of Lucienda. We would definitely return. Thank you to Ginger for a lovely stay.

Stayed: December 2014
Reviewed May 1, 2015 via mobile

Our first time to St.Croix was amazing. Northside Valley is nestled in with the island flora and fauna. Beautiful views, birds, geckos, and fruit trees! We stayed at Shepherds Hut, very private, romantic, spacious, clean, and relaxing. We are Canadians (early 30s) that appreciate getting away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Ginger is an amazing host and we plan on going back next year!

Stayed: February 2015
Reviewed April 26, 2015 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here with five friends for a week. Our group split up between the Little Brittany and Nita's Fancy villas. Nita's Fancy had a spacious living room where we could all hang out, eat meals, and play games. The two bedrooms in NF each had two twin beds (that my wife and I pushed together) and a shared adjoining bathroom. There are outdoor showers in both villas, and many of us used those exclusively. It was quite the experience. The windows are all screens and the weather was warm and humid at all times; thank goodness for the ceiling fan while sleeping. The kitchen was large enough for a couple people to work in there and stocked with most cookware and dining ware. However, it was very hard to keep clean; in the mornings we saw tons of small, dead ants that found any spills or crumbs that we missed the night before.

Speaking of bugs, we discovered cockroaches a couple times (most were sighted on the first day). They didn't bother me too much and were easy enough to sweep out the door, but I decided to wait until returning home to tell my wife I woke up with one on my arm. We also found a 7" centipede on a wall that I removed. I later found out they sting like bees, so be careful of those. I don't mention these to scare you, because we didn't think it was a big deal. I just want you to not be shocked if you see them. I should also say that Ginger tries hard to keep the bugs away with roach poison, so you likely won't find many (if any).

The villas are located a couple miles north of Frederiksted, up in the woods. I recommend renting a car if staying here. It's a beautiful location with views of the Caribbean from the patios/decks. A fire pit is available as well as a large covered, furnished area that could fit a large group of people. From the villas you can walk to a nice beach to the south or walk north along the shore to find the Monk's Bath.

Ginger was great! She let us use her landline and even offered our friends the shoes right off her feet when we went walking. She also gave good advice on the best things to do and see on the island. She cut a banana bunch off a tree that she let us pick from as much as we wanted. She was easy to find when we needed things and was incredibly friendly.

If you don't mind a little rustic living, this is a great place to stay on your visit. We would definitely return. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank John M
Reviewed April 22, 2015 via mobile

My family and I do our best to visit northside valley each winter. We have been 3 times in the last 4 years, usually staying 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

We have stayed at Nita's Fancy which is just above the "big house". The living room is very spacious and there is typically a wonderful breeze that flows through the place, especially in the afternoon, evening, and early night. Ceiling fans help cool it the rest of the time.

There is no tv, but there is Internet access available over wifi. You may have to leave the comfort of the house to access it, but that is what I love most about northside. It's a place to escape the busy day to day life, spend time with your family, relax, and get in touch with nature. The millipedes, or gungalos, as they are called, do like to crawl in under the doors some. My kids love scooping them up with paper or cards and throwing them out back. Some years are better than others on how many, and some years the breezes are better.

It's fun being apart of the wildlife there. Hermit crabs scatter in the night when you walk around shining your flashlight. Fish are plentiful to see when snorkeling at butler bay, a quick walk away. At the bottom of the hill, there is another great snorkeling spot too. Papaya trees, mango trees, sour orange trees, lemon trees, and coconut trees are abundant. Ginger, the property manager, always looks out for us and tries to make sure we can try some fresh fruit while we are there.

She keeps the property like a jungle and it is an adventure each time we visit. Our kids love it and have so much fun just walking the property. Rainbow beach is gorgeous and about a mile away. We go there every day we visit. Frekereksted is just a few miles further and has a great place for Sunday brunch (called sandcastles I think).

There are a lot of wild animal noises at night and insect noises. This is for those who want to escape from the mainstream of life, enjoy wild nature, and be treated like family by Ginger.

Great job Ginger. We love Northside and will see you this winter!

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family