“Great place to experience the tropical rainforest”
Review of Northside Valley

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frederiksted
Northside Valley
Reviewed 6 April 2016

This is a wonderful place to stay to have a real tropical experience if you enjoy peace and quiet and the cooing of the morning doves, frogs and other birds. The villas each have comfortable beds and at least one bath. They are equipped with all the basics you need to cook great meals with friends. Ginger and John, the owners, are very accommodating and will take care of anything you may need. Staying in an eco village you will learn about water conservation and how to use and reuse every drop! This is a no frills way to see and experience the island on the quiet west side of St Croix. Sunset at the beach is a great way to end each day.

Room Tip: The villas on the right side are more secluded . The three or four at the top are great if you are...
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 March 2016

Our party of 5 were thrilled with our stay at Leah's Leap as we slept to the sounds of nature without the annoying resort background noise. Mornings were spent on the deck overlooking the ocean. Ginger and John will be sure to make your stay is comfortable and memorable. If you enjoy hiking, be sure to hike to the old lighthouse. This is a great place to unwind!

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2016

North Valley "Shepherds Hut"
We can very much recommend this place if you want beautiful nature - silence and great hospitality.
North Valley is placed 10 minutes walking from a fine little beach with lovely water.
Shepherds Hut is a house with a lot of space both inside and outside, and the furniture is great.
An other great advantage is that there are shower and toilet facilities both inside and outside.
It was a great holiday !

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2015

We loved staying on the west side of the island, and the Shepard's Hut was great. It was spacious and the view of the ocean was great. We loved being able to sit on the patio at night and gaze at the stars without light pollution. It's close to several beautiful beaches and you also have easy access to the rainforest. We especially liked that we were tucked away from most any traffic. Ginger is great to work with, and she gives lots of wonderful suggestions on things to do and information about the island.

Be aware this is very much an eco-villa. There is no air conditioning and you are asked to compost, recycle, and conserve water. If those things bother you, then this is not the place you should stay. However, if you want to experience a quieter, slower way of life with easy access to fresh growing fruit and quiet beaches, then definitely check this out.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2015 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for a few restful nights over Christmas before heading to the other side of the island. I loved the location, the peace and quiet, hospitality and rustic comfort of Lucienda. We would definitely return. Thank you to Ginger for a lovely stay.

Stayed: December 2014
Reviewed 1 May 2015 via mobile

Our first time to St.Croix was amazing. Northside Valley is nestled in with the island flora and fauna. Beautiful views, birds, geckos, and fruit trees! We stayed at Shepherds Hut, very private, romantic, spacious, clean, and relaxing. We are Canadians (early 30s) that appreciate getting away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Ginger is an amazing host and we plan on going back next year!

Stayed: February 2015
Reviewed 26 April 2015 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here with five friends for a week. Our group split up between the Little Brittany and Nita's Fancy villas. Nita's Fancy had a spacious living room where we could all hang out, eat meals, and play games. The two bedrooms in NF each had two twin beds (that my wife and I pushed together) and a shared adjoining bathroom. There are outdoor showers in both villas, and many of us used those exclusively. It was quite the experience. The windows are all screens and the weather was warm and humid at all times; thank goodness for the ceiling fan while sleeping. The kitchen was large enough for a couple people to work in there and stocked with most cookware and dining ware. However, it was very hard to keep clean; in the mornings we saw tons of small, dead ants that found any spills or crumbs that we missed the night before.

Speaking of bugs, we discovered cockroaches a couple times (most were sighted on the first day). They didn't bother me too much and were easy enough to sweep out the door, but I decided to wait until returning home to tell my wife I woke up with one on my arm. We also found a 7" centipede on a wall that I removed. I later found out they sting like bees, so be careful of those. I don't mention these to scare you, because we didn't think it was a big deal. I just want you to not be shocked if you see them. I should also say that Ginger tries hard to keep the bugs away with roach poison, so you likely won't find many (if any).

The villas are located a couple miles north of Frederiksted, up in the woods. I recommend renting a car if staying here. It's a beautiful location with views of the Caribbean from the patios/decks. A fire pit is available as well as a large covered, furnished area that could fit a large group of people. From the villas you can walk to a nice beach to the south or walk north along the shore to find the Monk's Bath.

Ginger was great! She let us use her landline and even offered our friends the shoes right off her feet when we went walking. She also gave good advice on the best things to do and see on the island. She cut a banana bunch off a tree that she let us pick from as much as we wanted. She was easy to find when we needed things and was incredibly friendly.

If you don't mind a little rustic living, this is a great place to stay on your visit. We would definitely return. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends