All reviews nice guy pool bar aqua marine grocery store lime tree rental car energy surcharge wyndham owners studio loft charlotte amalie small resort beautiful beach plenty of beach chairs mini kitchen beach hut on site restaurant pull out couch
Reviewed March 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed at BBBC in early December, and overall we had a very good vacation. Check in was terribly slow (it took over three hours), they had one person working and two people watching, that was a bit frustrating. By the time we got to our room all we wanted was dinner and a little relaxation. In trying to get settled into our room we discovered that the sliding door to the patio did not lock, because it took so long to check in the maintenance person had already left for the day so it would not be fixed till morning. This meant I would not be getting a good nights sleep, I have read way to may stories about break ins in the Caribbean.

We ate at the restaurant on site twice dinner our first night and breakfast the following day. The food was fine, a tiny bit over priced, but the taste and quality was fine. We did not rent a car so we were prepared for the expense of taxis, we took the shuttle that BBBC provided to the grocery store and bought breakfast food, snacks and some basics for the week. This saved us a lot money, I would recommend everyone make the trip to the market even if you only go for water and drinks.

I thought the activities orientation was a waste of time, I found better excursions on my own, that I thought were at a much better price. We took an island tour, went to St. John, coral world, and shopping in town so we were not stranded at the resort at all.

BBBC is out of the way, but is on a small but lovely beach and pool area was quiet but nice. We are not very picky and I did not go in expecting the Ritz Carlton or the Four Season so I BBBC lived up to our exceptions. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Feliciab625
Reviewed March 13, 2009

Stayed 5 nights in a studio unit which we got through a timeshare exchange. The resort is on the smallish side, which we liked, and the beach was great (you would have to keep a close eye on children though as there is a bit of a current). The grounds could be better tended and the maintenance both inside and outside the units seems a bit lacking.
Our unit was spacious, had a lovely patio with a view, all you need in an efficiency kitchen, comfy bed and lots of hot water.
The downside to the property was that you needed to taxi everywhere and that can get pretty expensive when it averages $8 a head to go anywhere...one way! For the 2 of us for the 5 days it was still less expensive to use taxis then to rent a car but we would have seen more of the island with our own wheels. It cost us $20 each roundtrip to go over to Magen's Bay for the day by safari taxi.
We made good use of the fitness room....well equipped for such a small place. We never used the pool but it did look clean and had a swimup bar.
Overall we had a good experience and as long as you aren't expecting luxury or the amenities of a large resort, you will probably enjoy the laid back atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank rudycan
Reviewed February 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed at BBBC week of January 17, 2009 using our Wyndham points. We were concerned based on the negative reviews it received. I don't know where the negative people stayed but we didn't have any problems during the whole week. We stayed in a Studio Plus (bedroom area in the loft). As far as the steps down into the kitchen-just be careful and don't slip. Leave the bathroom light on at night so if you have to get up you can see where you are going. No bed bugs! and no kitchen bugs! The kitchenette was adequate for a week on the beach. You are right on the beach so how much time do you want to spend in the kitchen! It was up three flights from the beach so you take what you want in the morning and stay down for the day. Taxi driver, Mr. Nice Guy, picked us up at our room so we didn't have to walk down each time. He gives the guests a discount. We wanted a relaxing week on the beach and that's just what we got. Staff was great. Just say (enthusiastically) hello in the morning and be pleasant to them and you'll get great service. Something we need to do all the time! As far as the beach bugs-don't step on the ant hills. I learned the hard way. After that I was careful to stay on the pathways to the sand area. Use bug spray. The "no see ums" might get you but they also will get you on any beach in Florida-nothing to do with the Beach Club just sand fleas like sand. Our unit was clean and the view from the 3rd floor was wonderful each day. Weather was great. We are definitely planning on making this an annual trip if we can get in. There is a handicap unit. You need to be somewhat fit if you are on the second or third floor to do the stairs. While the studio plus says it can sleep 4, I found it comfortable for 2 and privacy would have been a problem with 4. There were familes staying at the resort with small children and seemed to be enjoying themselves. Wear water sandals or shoes in the water as the gravel and rocks will hurt your feet until you get past them on the sand. Rocks on either side are home to some pretty fish. Yes-we'll go back!!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank tdlovestotravel
Reviewed January 25, 2009

Bluebeards Beach Club

Pros: Location
Cons: Location.

After reading so many negative reviews about BBBC, I wanted to weigh in on what a nice place it really is. While nothing is perfect, this is a beautiful place with a view of the ocean that I could stare at all day. The worst thing about it is that it is hard to find if you are driving, as the sign for Bluebeard’s off the main road (30) is kind of small and hard to see at night. If you hire a taxi, even that isn’t an issue.

This is our millionth trip to the Caribbean and to St Thomas, but our 1st stay at BBBC. This is a nice little timeshare community on the closest thing to a private beach that you’re likely to find on St Thomas, where by law, all beaches are public. The water was blue and warm. The beach was full of beach recliners and beach chairs so that there were always some open places to lie out. The beach itself is a bit rocky, so people need to watch their step, but once you figure out where to walk, it’s really not an issue. The room was clean and well equipped with most everything that we wanted for a week-long stay. The shower had about the best water pressure that I have ever had in St Thomas, where there is no “city water” or well water, but the water comes from a water storage cistern with a pump. As this is mostly rainwater, water here can be a problem if there is a dry spell. For some reason, this is not a problem at BBBC where I actually saw a lawn sprinkler running to water the grass.

The studio we stayed in had a nice little kitchen, with a two-burner stove and mini-fridge. They provided paper towels, coffee filters, a sponge, dish soap, glasses, plates, utensils etc. On other trips, we had to make a trip to the store to pick up many of these, as they were not in our rental. There was also a toaster, blender, and coffee maker. There is a common charcoal grill down by the beach where one can cook out. We did not use it, but we heard of some of the other guests say that it was not well lit after dark. You must provide the charcoal as well.

I would point out that this is a time-share. It is not a hotel. There are many very nice hotels on the island, and if you want a hotel with the room made up each day and the like, this may not be for you. BTW, for a charge, they will make up your room each day, including washing your dishes. We don’t want that, as we think that cleaning up after ourselves keeps us grounded.

The staff was helpful and friendly. When I inquired about the broken ice machine in our building, a maintenance worker showed up and drove me to the next building in his golf cart to the closest working ice machine. Completely above and beyond, as I could (and did) walk in less then a minute.

The negatives are few. Some of the formerly advertised features do not seem to be offered, like the free shuttle to the other Fairfield Resorts. There is a taxi that services the resort, but we did not use him. We also did not eat at the restaurant or the bar, so we have no comments on those. We would have liked it if the windows opened and had screens, so that we could enjoy the sea air. While there is some novelty to running the AC in January, fresh air would have been better.

Overall, the pros far outweigh any cons, and we would stay here again any time.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank Mandahl
Reviewed December 31, 2008

booked through our timeshare. I now know why they don't post pictures of the rooms on their website. We had the honor of staying in "c" Building i would say that these rooms have not been touches since they were built. Upon arrival into our room i nearly gaged. The room had a very foul smell , was not clean , and very small. The so called crab habitat is disgusting tried to have a bbq at the area provided but it was to rancite. The staff was helpful but very short when you asked them anything. This place is very private and the beach is ok. As far as being able to snorkel off the beach you can you just won't see anything. I think this resort has good potential if they could clean it up and bring it into the 21st century. I understand that there is timeshare issues going on in this resort i just don't understand why that becomes my problem. The bar at the pool was also robbed at gunpoint two weeks before we got there.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family