“Moved to the Ritz”

GreenLeadersGold level
Indiana
“Moved to the Ritz”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

The Marriott needs some serious help. Check in took over 30 minutes. I had pre-emailed about our stay with a request for an upgrade (my husband and I are both Platinum). We paid and used points for this stay but the Ritz would have been less expensive (and a far better experience, here now), with all of the associated fees at the Marriott. We clearly told them we had 3 in our party and were put in a regular room with one bed. After complaining, they brought in a cot (my son's back hurt after sleeping on it) and offered comped breakfasts--and of course, yes the breakfasts showed up on our check--even after a desk manager called the night before and I let her know we were offered this. They did remove the charges and there were 2 others dining charges on our bill we did not put there--but they were removed. I would carefully read your bill before check out.

Other....

We had a surly server at Coco Joe's, slow, non helpful and slow. We selected to dine out most nights and had great meals at Oceana and Thirteen--both exceptional. The one positive at the Marriott was the seafood buffet--amazing lobster, but at $60pp++ should have been!

Iguanas everywhere--they must clear them at the Ritz as we have seen none here but there were dozens at the Marriott and one even jumped in the pool. Many screaming children.

Lastly, some pockets where they are trying...but odd, sequestered feeling at this hotel. Will not plan to return. Again, 2 more nights at the Ritz and so glad we changed our plans to move to this hotel.

If you have mobility issues, do NOT stay here. Also, there was significant mold around the tub--none here at the Ritz.

Room Tip: Depending on the view you'd like--if you'd like to overlook the shopping area, cruise ships...
5 Thank dibotu
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for staying with us and providing some details of your recent experience. From what I understand after reading your review, your main disappointments were caused by feeling there was a failure of communications at the resort level. For that, I apologize and would like to invite you to contact me at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com
so I may can work directly with you. On your next visit, we would love to have the opportunity to create an experience that exceeds your expectations! On a positive note, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our famous seafood buffet! Regarding your observation about our resident iguanas, they are a natural part of the island ecosystem. As protected wildlife, we do manage their numbers through our local "Department of Planning and Natural Resources" with relocation assistance. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,567)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here in early April 2012 and though it was a little slow checking in everything went great after that. We stay at Marriotts often enough and Frenchman's Reef compares well. We were automatically upgraded to their beach front Morning Star Resort. Great views from the room. And what a great staff, everyone was so friendly. Q Dee, the concierge, was full of jokes and laughter and helped us out with all our questions and much more. After a walk on the beach, we had dinner, and our waitress, Heather was charming and what charisma. It's wonderful be around such friendly people so happy to help.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank PK W
Thank you for your outstanding review. We are happy to hear you and your wife enjoyed Morning Star and felt taken care of by Dee, Heather and the rest of our team! We sincerely appreciate the recommendation and hope to have you visit the island again soon!
MD
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We are at Frenchman's right now. We will be here two more days. We have been to several other Marriott resorts due to my husband's platinum status. We stayed at the Casa Magna Marriott in Cancun twice and last year we were at Marco Island, FL. It is true that the upkeep of this hotel does not match the others. The grounds are cleaned in the am and then gradually disintegrate all day, it's not like Mexico where a crew is constantly cleaning and polishing. However, almost every employee we have interacted with has been pleasant and welcoming. I think some of the other posters that complain about the staff should perhaps step back, and examine their own attitudes. On check in day, I stood in line to check in and watched with mouth open as one after another middle class, middle aged white person would shamelessly ignore the line and sidle right up to the desk and jump in front. As a middle aged, middle class white person myself, it was really kind of depressing. The rooms are fine. Originally we were given a 5th floor resort view without even a full length door, pretty depressing. When I asked for a change, they moved us up two floors so at least we can lean out the door and see the water. No balcony, bummer - esp with our status but oh well.
So here's what you need to know - the Morning Star beach is nice, plenty big enough, free floats and padde boats and kayaks for guests. The pools here are ok. pretty, but small. however, here's the thing - you don't have to camp at the hotel. Get a car, for God's sake, and go explore the island. Go to Coki Beach - do it! the snorkeling is perfect for families with kids, since you can start right off the beach. You can bring your own gear. Go yourself, don't pay for a tour. Go to Magen's Bay, it's lovely.Be nice to the people working at the hotel, it's really not so hard.
Here's our one gripe - we haven't had a decent meal yet. We haven't really tried the hotel restaurants, we really wanted to find some local restaurant with fresh seafood, but every place we've tried so far, based on recommendations we've received from staff here, has been crappy tourist junk. Surely somewhere on this island is some wonderful, casual cheap food - where locals and ex-pats eat - we want fish tacos, or just fresh fish period. there's fish all over the place, why can't we find any to eat? if management sees this and wants to guide us, we're in room 1753. thanks.

3 Thank LJEDRACHY
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you for writing! I have left a message in your room and hope to connect and give you some great restaurant suggestions for the island. I also appreciate your comments, tips and astute observations of the resort as a whole and welcome any further discussion regarding your experience. Thank you again for the excellent satisfaction rating and I look forward to speaking with you.
Morgantown wv
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a September vacation and we were in off season. The pool was being renovated and half was shut down but it wasn't a big deal because there weren't that many people there and we ran into some NFL players from WV that were just released, which was kinda cool for us...not them. The location is a bit out of the way without a vehicle, which I highly recommend. The driving isn't bad and younget used to being on the lest side of the road quickly. We enjoyed watching the cruse ships come in and planes land on the water in the bay off the hotel balcony. Our first room was next to a huge AC unit and after we asked to move we were promptly moved to a GREAT room with a balcony and better view. Great place to stay and rent a car

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your excellent review! It must have been very exciting running into some professional athletes from your home state! We hope that you and your husband will visit the island again this year! Since the time of your September stay, we have completed a $48 million renovation of Frenchman’s Reef including room updates, new pools and spa and new lounge areas. We also updated most restaurants and common areas. This spring and summer, look for some great special offers here on Tripadvisor. Thank you again for posting!
hilton head island
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I loved staying at Marriott's Morning Star but mostly just because the beach was gorgeous. I have to be honest and let you know we are frequent Marriott customer's and are Platinum Marriott members which is the highest status in their loyalty program, that being said, our service was okay. Certainly not at the level we receive in the states. BUT, realizing it is the Caribbean, we learn to adjust those standards. (sad but true). We had a awesome room about 10 steps to the water down on the beach, and I have to tell you that was great! The room was on the small side, but it was very clean. The bed didn't feel like the usual super comfy Marriot mattress, but it was okay, not horrible. The beach chairs are a bit shabby, and weren't that comfortable. There wasn't any beach service, you had to walk up the beach bar and order for yourself, which was a bit of walk. The four star review is based on the location. If we weren't in this location, it would probably be a 2. We went over to Frenchmen's Reef (the views were awesome over the harbor) but it was very musty and smelled like wet carpet, it was very tired and worn. Seemed to be fairly clean but still the smell wasn't great.

Room Tip: Stay in the Morning Star section, NOT Frenchmen's Reef.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bugtussle85
Thank you for your compliments, suggestions and generous review rating. The photos you posted are beautiful! I am glad to hear your Morning Star room was sparkling clean and you enjoyed the location and close proximity to the beach. We are always seeking ways to improve our products and service, so I am discussing your maintenance comments with our management team. We’re grateful to have loyal members like yourselves stay with us and would like to earn your continued loyalty by resolving any issues as they present themselves. That is why these positive reviews with suggestions are so helpful. Thank you again and we hope that your next vacation brings you back to St. Thomas and to Frenchman’s Reef!
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We had a great time at Frenchmans Reef. Good food,great weather, sunny beachs, and RUM. Overall the property was nice. Everyone was really helpful. Definitly talk to Clint if you can. He helped us alot with dinner suggestions everynight and unique places to go during the day that were off the beaten path. it was a very fun 5 days. looking forward to coming back this fall. I fully recommend the hotel to anyone. If I had one suggestion its be patient, your own island time!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking a moment to post! We certainly do appreciate the compliment for our concierge team member Clint and will be sure to personally recognize him for this continued service excellence. We look forward to your next visit to show you the same or even greater level of satisfaction and fun!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My family has come to this hotel for many years. Just got back from a 7 day stay and found that the mid-management men behind the reception desk just could not be bothered to help out guests. If a female receptionist were present, I could request beach towels etc.at the front desk. If one of the male managers were present, they made me walk down to the pool area which was far from my room.
The worst was when I requested a one hour extension on our check out time. Now, after having spent thousands of dollars at this hotel, and I am an elite member with Marriott, I was repeatedly refused! The man in charge said that Marriott hotels have the option of honoring elite members with this perk and that my room would be cleaned as soon as I checked out at 11AM.
Well, since my flight did not leave until 3PM, I went back to my room at 12:30 PM and the maids had not cleaned it and he could have easily extended my checkout untill 12:00.
He just did not want to be bothered.
When I pay this much money, I expect to get the perks that I pay for by being an elite Marriott member.
Nice hotel...Lazy management.

3 Thank kayak4822
Thank you for your feedback. It sounds like you had a very mixed experience on your most recent visit and I’d like to extend a personal apology for the inconveniences you mention here. One thing we strive for is consistency, so I appreciate you bringing the front desk issue to my attention to be resolved. Regarding your late check-out request, the decision process for granting a late check-out is the same as granting an early check-in and, like most hotels, is based primarily upon occupancy levels. We do our utmost to grant our members all the benefits of their Marriott status. In your case it sounds like we were unable to and again, I apologize. On a positive note, I am glad to hear you enjoyed the resort as a whole. We hope you will be so kind as to continue to choose Frenchman’s Reef as your hotel of choice in the future as we work towards resolving these issues. Thank you again for your comments and if you have any questions or would like to discuss this in more detail, feel free to reach out to me personally at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,196 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!