“Worth a visit, but could do better”
Review of Q-Min

Q-Min
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2017

Wanting to try something different we ventured to Dowlais, as we’d been previously unimpressed by the Indian Restaurants in Merthyr Town Centre. The restaurant itself is stylish, warm and inviting. We received a warm welcome, and were asked to wait a few moments while a window table was prepared. Drinks are reasonably priced, and the chutney tray was very good -freshly chopped onion salad and actual bits of mango in the chutney! As I’m vegetarian and my partner is vegan, we went for a vegetarian thali and a ‘samba’ to share. The breads were excellent -fluffy, delicious naan and a perfectly-done chaphati. The other curry dishes themselves were the weak point -some good flavours, but marred by use of frozen/ tinned vegetables. These become especially apparent when there is no meat in the dish to be the ‘star’ ingredient. Service was courteous and efficient, but the tables were extremely sticky - meaning lifting a glass/ dish off the table required careful negotiation to avoid a face-full of beer/ curry. The bill was just under £34 for two of us, which included one large Kingfisher and two large glasses of wine. So, a decent option with nearby parking if you want to try somewhere different, but be aware that the food is likely to be mediocre (with the exception of the breads).

joanneandisabella, Front Office Manager at Q-Min, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2017

Hi Stephen thank you for visiting our restaurant and taking the time to leave a review. I am disappointed to hear you did not enjoy the vegetarian dishes that you had I will pass these comments on to our chef who will review the dishes. I will also pass on your lovely comments to our tandoori chef regarding his Nan breads who will be pleased that you enjoyed them. Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed September 9, 2017 via mobile

I've been to Qmin a few times now for takeaway and absolutely love it! I especially like the thalis as there are lots of little different things to try if you find it difficult choosing one dish. The new menu doesn't have the thalis on there but I've been told if you ask they'll still do them. Tonight I went for the lamb pasanda which was just as delicious as always. The lemon rice was cooked to perfection and my friend enjoyed her chicken tikka masala and chips. I'm still waiting to get a chance to eat in here but the takeaways cannot be beaten in Merthyr.

joanneandisabella, Front Office Manager at Q-Min, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2017

Hi Jemma thank you for the lovely review :) hope to see you again soon :)

Reviewed September 7, 2017

I was in the area so I tried a take away from this restaurant there was plenty of food at a reasonable price, i cant wait to try it again.

1  Thank davel2359
joanneandisabella, Front Office Manager at Q-Min, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2017

Thank you for the lovely review. Hope to see you again

Reviewed August 28, 2017 via mobile

I had initially requested a dish on the basis of it being vegetarian, and had returned it given I had noticed meat within, however after persistently asking several times and stating I was vegetarian, the same dish was provided to me. This, in my view, is not an accident, but grossly negligent- I've taken this to the food standards as it is unacceptable.

Service was terrible, forgot about one of the dishes, very slow. Drinks orders were wrong, and after we paid the full bill we were accused of not paying.

One star is by far an over exaggeration of what this place deserves. Will not return even if I was paid to!!!!!!

1  Thank Emma1590
joanneandisabella, Front Office Manager at Q-Min, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2017

Hi emma im deeply sorry that on this occasion you did not enjoy your visit to qmin. I have been away for a few days so unsure exactly what happened please give the restaurant a call where i will be happy to discuss this further and try to rectify it for you. Thank you and kind regards joanne

Reviewed August 9, 2017 via mobile

Had dinner here with family after a positive review from a friend. Service was quick but the food was nothing amazing - dont get me wrong, it was ok just nothing special.