TripAdvisor
All reviewsnant ddu lodgeevening mealpool arealambsuperior roombrecon beaconssteam roombirthday treatfood was lovelyan overnight stayprawn cocktailcontinental breakfastpen y fanboth nightslick of paintfull body massageenjoyable stay
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We had an overnight stay in room 8, which is near the front of the property, facing the main road. The room is quite small and the bathroom even smaller (and in need of a facelift). The bathroom also emanated a smell of urine I'm disappointed to say. The windows aren't double glazed so it's possible to hear the traffic from the road and this woke us early the next morning with the hotel being on the way to the popular Pen-Y-Fan. That said, from looking at other traveller's photos, there do appear to be nicer rooms available and I'm sure the ones facing the back of the property are very quiet.

In general we felt the hotel interior needs a facelift. The carpets are dated and dirty, the fire doors are scuffed and it all seems a bit of a mishmash decor-wise. The spa was decent enough although I'd say the same about it needing a facelift, particularly the changing rooms, and the headrests in the jacuzzi.

The best part for us was the evening meal. We opted for a steak which was succulent and tender and pork steak with a sausage cassoulet (possibly with a tin of baked beans thrown in, but hey, I like baked beans!)

Overall I think it's good to keep in mind that this is a 3 star hotel after all and perhaps expectations shouldn't be set too high. A decent enough stop over if you want to explore the Brecon Beacons.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the property
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Simon D, General Manager at Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

Thank you for your comprehensive review. We are just about to start a program of investment and refurbishment at the hotel. I hope you will return when it is finished. Simon Daniel - General Manager

Reviewed April 3, 2018

Lovely relaxing atmosphere and really good food....suitable for walkers as you don’t need to get dressed up to go in like some restaurants. ....although I think they do have other rooms where you can go if you want to wear your best ...we ate in the bar....menu was good ...sadly I really wanted fish and chips which I had seen online but when we got there it was after 6 pm and the menu had changed but nevertheless I ordered the slow braised lamb which was delicious and my husband had the pork chop which he thoroughly enjoyed too

Room Tip: We didn’t stay only ate a meal there
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Simon D, General Manager at Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2018

Thank you for your great review. We have two menus every day, one from 12 until 6.00 pm and the other from 6.00 pm until 9.30 pm. I hope you are able to return earlier for your fish & chips very soon. Simon Daniel - General Manager

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

On a trip to Penderyn distillery with some French friends and colleagues of mine I was set with the task of finding a traditional Welsh restaurant that served traditional Welsh food. There are a number to choose from but being at short notice and on Easter Sunday everywhere was booked. Fortunately I telephoned the Nant Ddu Lodge and they were extremely helpful explaining that even though their restaurant was fully booked they served the same lunchtime menu in the lounge bar, just to make sure we arrived early as these tables fill up fast too.

Upon arrival we were greeted by helpful and friendly staff. We ordered the Welsh Lamb Shoulder from the set Sunday menu, there was an option for starter which we decided against as we fancied the desert option and didn't want to be full by then. The wait for the food was not overly long and we were able to chat in the relaxed ambience. The main course came and we tucked in. The over all response from my friends was that it was exquisite and every mouthful was savoured. We then ordered dessert where my friends went for the sticky toffee pudding, I myself opted for the morello cherry bakewell, all of which went down with the same approval as the main course.

Thank you all at Nant Ddu Lodge for making my task a successful one and for helping to make such a memorable day for my friends where, incidentally, they totally fell in love with Wales.

We are coming back with a larger group soon for the distillery master class and Sunday lunch at the Nant Ddu Lodge, we will book well in advance this time, as we were so impressed.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Simon D, General Manager at Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2018

WOW! Thank you for the brilliant review of your recent visit. Simon Daniel - General Manager

Reviewed April 1, 2018

The lodge is nestled in the valley below Storey Arms, next to the stream that flows from the reservoirs. With the hotel (& spa) reception tucked away round the back, together with 'overnight parking' makes you feel like the hotel is a bit secondary and the main business is the spa, and the bars/restaurants.
We were in room 1, which of course, is about as far away from reception as possible, so, ignoring the parking signs, I moved the car round the front and took the bags in through the main bar door, which is right next to the stairs to room 1! - it would have been helpful if we were told this first rather than having to explore first.
The room was comfy enough - mattresses and pillows were good, but the wifi was a bit on/off, requiring you to sit by the bedroom door to get a stable signal.
The en suite could best be described as poky - yes it has a full length bath, but the toilet is then cramped into about 18" along side. No shelf by the sink meant most things stayed in the bedroom.....
Dinner was tasty - I had the Welsh fillet steak - very tasty, but the service was poor (the place was packed but the staff seemed a bit chaotic). Breakfast was a bit of a let down - the cold selection was good, but the cooked breakfast wasn't high on the list of those I've had.
Overall, it fitted the bill for being close to Storey Arms and early access to a snowy Corn-du and 'Fan, but it could have been better

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your valued feedback with we will use to improve our service. Simon Daniel - General Manager

Reviewed March 30, 2018

The first thing that struck me on entering this hotel was that it was lovely and warm, which made it very welcoming (as it was very cold out!). The second thing was that it smelled really nice. Not sure what it was but liked it. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, couldn't fault them at all with their lovely Welsh accents! We went with friends but our rooms to start with were nowhere near each other. As ours was up a steep flight of stairs, we asked if we could change it, and receptionist was very obliging, no bother at all. So we all ended up with 'River View' rooms ( although we couldn't actually see the river, but you could from the car park). There is no lift in this hotel, worth bearing in mind if you struggle with stairs. Hotel was clean and tidy, lots of nice little touches. We had superior rooms which were quite nice, though ours was a bit lacking in storage space and the curtains needed renewing, they were very tired looking and tiebacks had long gone.Our friends room though had lovely curtains and plenty of storage space, and a walk in shower, that was room 23. Our room (25) had the shower in the bath which was quite awkward to get into for old souls like us! Bed was comfy.The swimming pool was lovely, not warm but not freezing cold either, decent size for swimming. (Even had a 'lane'!l.) Jacuzzi was wondeful, really warm, and working ! THere was also a steam room and sauna.The restaurant was good, divine food and excellent service. Not cheap, but good value. Breakfast was good too, although would have been improved by some nice fresh bread or rolls to go with the cooked breakfast. There were crumpets, bagels (yuk!) and croissants, and fruit loaf but only sliced bread otherwise. And some nice pastries. No ketchup or brown sauce surprisingly, I thinkthey were waiting for delivery. Cooked breakfast was delicious, and you could have more fancy dishes for extra charge like eggs Florentine, smoked salmon, eggs Benedict etc.
We had thought we might eat elsewhere a couple of nights, but really there was nowhere close by so we were happy to stay put. All in all an enjoyable stay and we would definitely go there again if we were in the area.

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank ChristinEJohnson11
Simon D, General Manager at Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2018

Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. Simon Daniel - General manager