All reviewsgarden suitecommon roomfrench toastoutdoor showerbird feederseach morningthree roomssalt pondpina coladahonor barother guestsfrank bayopen airgracious hostshome cooked breakfastb bsst john
Reviewed January 29, 2017

Garden by the Sea has everything you’ll need for the perfect St. John vacation: beautiful accommodations and lush grounds; excellent, home-made breakfasts; quiet location within walking distance of the center of Cruz Bay; gorgeous sunset views; attentive owners, Nancy and John; and welcoming and knowledgeable on-site hosts, Dave and Lyndell. This was our 10th visit to St John (3rd time staying at GBTS) – and this is our favorite place to stay on the island.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2017 via mobile

We had the pleasure of spending 5 terrific nights in the Wild Ginger room over the holidays and could not have been more pleased with our selection. We enjoyed getting to know Dave and Lyndell, who treated us like long lost friends. Breakfast was exactly right and served on the deck each morning. We are looking forward to our next visit.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2017

This bed and breakfast is nestled in a private niche between a bird sanctuary and Cruz Bay, the main town on St. John. Beautiful, this b and b has a secluded, private feeling while being a 10 min walk into town on a good path. There are only three rooms in the B and B, so the breakfasts were a fun affair with great food and conversation. The breakfasts were held on a wonderful wrap around porch with view of the bird sanctuary and ocean. We also made a habit of a watching beautiful sunsets with a drink on the porch daily. The B and B itself is very beautiful with white wood ceilings and fans that are a hallmark of Caribbean architecture. The hosts are great with wonderful suggestions, and are willing to help you with everything from ferry times, restaurant reservations, to the nearest pharmacy. This is one of my best experiences in a B and B and everything from the wonderful room, breakfasts, to the terrific hosts helped this visit to St. John become one of the best vacations we have ever had. Thanks!!

Room Tip: I love the garden suite!! When we return I will be reserving it again!
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2017 via mobile

This was our 4th trip to St John over the last 20 years and our 1st stay at Garden by the Sea. I wish we'd found this gem earlier! Tucked away in a tropical garden with its resident iguanas and hummingbirds, walking distance to town, the best breakfasts you could ask for, beach chairs and coolers available for use, a wrap around deck with views of the ocean past the salt pond, and the coolest private "outdoor" shower. We stayed in the spacious Garden Suite, next time we might try the Terrace room I think, my husband would like to try out that private balcony one floor up. We communicated with the owners Nancy and John via email and they were extraordinarily helpful. But what made the visit extra special were our hosts Dave and Lyndell. Their tips on restaurants and snorkeling spots, and their instinctive hospitality made the trip. My husband and I are not big on Bed and Breakfasts in general, as I am not a morning person and socialization with strangers before coffee typically gives me a headache. But I could stay here forever. Plenty of room for all!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2017

We spent 5 fun and relaxing nights in the Ginger room and could not have asked for more! The room was incredibly clean, spacious, great decor, well equipped and comfortable. The bathroom and the "outdoor" shower were such a nice bonus despite having to be very conservative with water usage. The property itself is as island life as it gets and a short walk to town. Colorful, beautiful natural surroundings, tons of unique artwork, great music, maps & tourist info and more. We especially loved having snorkel equipment, backpack beach chairs, coolers, beach bags, sunscreen and bug spray available. The breakfast on the deck each morning was delicious and a true highlight! Our stay was made even better by our incredible hosts Lyndell and Dave who together with their little buddy Max provided top class hospitality, great company, and the perfect mix of availability and privacy and they even brought us into town to catch our boats when we had extra baggage. While we were there we shared the b&b with another fantastic and friendly couple who were on their 5th trip to GBTS. Communication with Nancy was fast and helpful. Thank you so much to Lyndell and Dave for everything and to Nancy and John for all the work you've put into this gem. I work at a 4* hotel in Amsterdam and noticed every detail- bravo!!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple