We just returned from our third visit to St. John and Garden by the Sea. Once again, the atmosphere is laid back and welcoming. The grounds are perfect if you want a place away from the large hotel scene, but with lush tropical plants, birds, and iguana sightings. Breakfast is a hot dish each day served along with fruit, coffee, juice - and well-prepared by our hosts. They went out of their way to help me deal with gluten and lactose issues and always with a smile. Our hosts this time were Dave and Lyndell, who were just as professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable as owners Nancy and John, and former hosts Frank and Mickey.
GBTS is well-positioned in Cruz Bay in a quiet area with an easy walk to downtown's restaurants and shops. You can easily grab a taxi in town that is heading to one of the beaches. We have rented a Jeep each year so that we can be on our own schedule and head out to Coral Bay for the day and/or make stops at various beaches or shops that are further out of town. Beaches are great - our favorite is Maho Bay where you can snorkel along the rocks and see fabulous fish or head to the center of the bay and see large sea turtles in the grasses.
We have stayed in all three rooms at GBTS. The Garden Suite and Wild Ginger rooms have great bathrooms - the shower area is filled with tropical foliage and shells and open to the sky (but screened from critters). The Terrace View room is up a flight of stairs, has its own little balcony, and offers great views of the nearby Audubon pond and the bay. But the views are always great from the common room and the veranda, where breakfast is served. So there's not a bad room in the place! All rooms get a refrigerator shelf, use of the microwave, kettle, and sink, and access to the honor bar in the common room.
Check out the hand tiled floors with scenes of ocean life, the four poster beds with mosquito netting, and tiny lizards that visit the veranda. Altogether a relaxing and renewing experience!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Garden by the Sea B&B is a quaint colorful Caribbean home with gingerbread trim nestled in lush gardens with coconut and banana trees; nesting birds, iguanas, and peacocks. We are located in Estate Contant and Enighed – a neighborhood just a short walk to Cruz Bay and 1 block from Frank Bay Beach. We offer three private rooms ,each with its own personality , all with individual air-conditioning and bathrooms . Our beautiful outdoor living room is for all to enjoy whether reading a book, listening to music or just relaxing with a sunset cocktail. Every morning, wake up to a full hot homemade breakfast served on our tropical Terrace, surrounded by nature . Once your belly is full, head off for a day full of adventure. We lend beach bags, chairs , snorkel equipment and towels along with coolers and Metal water bottles for your convenience. After a long day of sun and fun, enjoy a good nights sleep in our cozy beds and make Garden by the Sea your carribean home away from home! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Garden By The Sea Hotel Cruz Bay
- Garden By The Sea Bed And Breakfast
- Garden By The Sea B&B St. John/Cruz Bay