“Ruins of an old sugar mill”

Annaberg Sugar Plantation
Book In Advance
More Info
US$89.00*
and up
St John Island and Trunk Bay Beach Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: The most accessible and best preserved of its type, this once-working sugar plantation (circa 1870) was the site of boiling molasses and hardworking slaves harvesting sugarcane, and which now offers visitors regular tours and living-history demonstrations.
Reviewed 6 November 2017

We visited the sugar mill as part of our day trip from our cruise ship. The driver was extremely beautiful and by the time we arrived at the mill we were ready for some walking time. Without a guide it would be difficult to say what each ruin is and how it worked. I makes me appreciate just how well we have it today. I would not recommend this to anyone with walking disabilities as there is very little flat ground. The views from the upper ground is breathtaking. I think that you would like to visit if you like history.

All reviews
in 26 reviews
"nice place to visit"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

We actually went snorkeling at Waterlemon but took a quick walk around the ruins. So nice overlooks to the bay and the ruins were very interesting.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

If you have a jeep and have the time then this a great place to visit. Not a lot there but if your a history buff like me you will enjoy walking through the ruins that are there. It's a hike from the parking lot to the actual plantation so if you have someone that struggles with walking this probably isn't for them. The view of the water is beautiful and there are plaques to tell you what each place was used for. Total time to see it all is probably 30 minutes at most.

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

First, I'm not a parent who gets alarmed easily, nor am I a parent who says that but doesn't mean it. My family was completely swarmed by bees right at the beginning of the sugar mill site. It was terrifying. Totally unprovoked as we were walking across the culdesac-like area after the wooden stairs. My daughter took at least five stings. Dozens of bees all over all of my kids. We worry that a family with a child with severe allergies could have a life-threatening problem up there.
Please be careful.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 August 2017

St John has a very rich and diverse past. At one time there were over one hundred sugar mills on the island. Where did they fit them all is a mystery to me, but there are ruins at every corner if you know where to look. Annaberg has quite a bit of ruins still standing, and you can catch a glance of how the life must have been when cane sugar was a bustling business. As a result, there are very few trees in St John that are older than one hundred years.