“Good value place to stay, but noisy. Some attention to detail needed.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas

Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good value place to stay, but noisy. Some attention to detail needed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

The resort is definitely worth the money. The staff is friendly and hard working. The building is constantly being cleaned. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The noise level in the room (7th floor) was very quiet. The food was very good and the service excellent. Keep in mind that this report is written about an off-season (late April) time so the resort was not crowded. The island itself seems safe and the people are friendly and helpful. You can ride the number 10 bus into Nassau for some shopping on Bay Street. There's also a ferry to Paradise Island if you want to check out Atlantis ($40 per person for the Aquarium.) Cab ride to Atlantis is $20.00 American.

The worst part of our experience was the music decibel level in the common areas and the pool area. There is constant music being played, and it's too loud. In the evening in the main room, the entertainers seem to be having a contest to see who can perform the loudest. This may be fine for young people who are used to deafening music everywhere they go, and who have significant hearing loss, but we found it very intrusive. If you have sensitive hearing, bring earplugs for the evening entertainment. The entertainment is not bad, just too loud.

The are two restaurants, Garden of Eden and Mariano's. Garden of Eden is a very nice dining experience. Be sure to eat at an outside table. It is very pleasant dining. Mariano's has an Itanian flair, also with good food. No, this is not high-end gourmet dining with great wines. In fact the house wines (free) are not very good at all. However there is a nice little champaign available at the bar on the second floor. The Berringer mentioned on the website is extra cost - not included in the "all inclusive" price. There is very limited seating. You must call for a reservation between 9 and 11 the DAY BEFORE you want to eat at the restaurant. If you don't go to the restaurants, the buffet is fine and there is lots of good food, but it's a big room, not a restaurant. It's the only breakfast option. There's also a cabana by the pool that serves lunch - basically burgers and fries and a few other things. All the food was good.

A couple other minuses. The resort misses the mark in a few details. Example: There are 4 pool tables. Every one of these had areas where the cue was blocked by being too close to a wall. This was obviously arranged by an intereior designer, not a pool player. A simple re-arrangement of the tables would solve this problem. The fitness center needs some attention. Several pieces of exercise equipment were broken. This includes the one exercise bike and the cross-country ski machine. The electronic consoles on both were unresponsive and probably brain-dead. Finally, the building leaks when it rains heavily. We had some water on their floor during the 3 days of heavy rain. (hint to the management - it's coming in below the sliding doors on the balconies.)

There is plenty to do. Catamarans and plastic kayaks and paddle boats are available. The staff seems safery conscious - life jackets are required to be worn. The equipment is in fairly good shape. The beach is nice as long as you can tolerate some seaweed in the water. There is a climbing wall and even trtapeze lessons if you find you always wanted to run off and join the circus. But don't quit your day job quite yet.

The resort sends several e-mail reminders of what to bring just before your stay. It advises you to bring a laptop computer for Internet access. We did that, and found that there is no Wi-Fi access. The only Internet access is through three house computers at an extra cost. It's about $7.50 for 15 minutes access.

Other minor common-sense precautions: As with any location where you don't know the pedigree of the local water, use bottled water to brush your teeth. We had no problem, but why take a chance? Don't go barefoot in the hallways. Not the hotel's fault, but some people insist on bringing glass beverage containers to their room. The resort floors are all tile. A dropped glass means a difficult cleanup, and they can't get everything. This writer got a small cut on the bottom of his foot this way. Yes, there is a nurse on call most of the time, but the first aid supplies I pack served well. CVS sells some wonderful bandages with a silver-based antibiotic that stay on even when swimming.

Overall, a great vacation was great, in spite of two rainy days at the end of the week. Plenty to do indoors. Bring a book if you like to read - the selection in the gift shop is limited.

Room Tip: Ocean view is nice. It's on the north wall far from the noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank HealthPhysicist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,555)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed at the Breezes resort from the 20th-27th of April. I, obviously, read all the reviews prior, and was slightly concerned, however, I have seen many good resorts get slammed on this site, and Breezes was no exception. Here are my thoughts:

Check In: Check in was quick & fast. We arrived around noon, but knowing I wouldn’t get a room until around 3, I had packed a change of clothes in my purse. We were greeted in the lobby with a refreshing punch, and told to come back in a bit to check on our room. I think we got our room around 2:30. The gentleman checking us in was friendly. We were getting married on the 24th, and he told us our appointment with our wedding planner was on the 23rd at 9:30pm. Luckily, a lady behind him corrected him and informed us the appointment was at 9:30 am. Everything else about check in was great though.

Room: Our room was great. We loved it. It was definitely out dated with furniture, but I don’t go down south for the fung shui. The bathroom was updated & rather modern. There are multiple reviews that discuss the bathroom floor getting wet when showering, this is true, however there is a very easy and obvious solution! Turn the shower head facing in towards the shower, instead of towards the door. Problem solved. The only compliant to the room was there is no mini fridge. It’s the first resort I’ve ever been to that didn’t have a mini fridge. My husband and I are big fans of having a drink in the room, and we couldn’t do this unless we went down to the bar to get it. The bigger issue with no having a fridge in the room is a lack of available cold water. We both had meds to take & always had to remember to bring water to our room to do so. Also, I woke up once in the middle of the night with a terrible headache, and didn’t have the ability to take a Advil with cold water. The tap water is not enjoyable; I couldn’t even choke it back to take a pill. Please Breezes, put in the mini fridge!!!! If 3 star resorts in Cuba can afford it – so can you! Also, we were lucky, our room was quiet (it faced AWAY from the pool, but people on certain sections that we had made friends with, said that the kids were super loud, screaming and running around. The room next to ours played really, really loud music one night, and a quick call to security & the problem was solved. The TV is great for the afternoon nap. Lots of movie channels, though they tend to repeat the movie a lot.

Beach : Beach was amazing! A little more seaweed then I would have liked, but I loved the beach. We spent most of our time there.

Entertainment: Everyone raved about the entertainment, but we didn’t go, most nights to be honest. The lobby is really loud, so loud that we couldn’t even talk. We tried to play a board game one night, and both our voices were horse from screaming at the top of our lungs over the music. But, the entertainment that we did see was good! Just be prepared for a really loud room.

Food: Both Garden of Eden & Martino’s were amazing. It was not difficult to get reservations. You do have to make them between 9-11am the day before, but we had no trouble getting them. We called even at like 11:30am one day, and were able to get in. The breakfast and lunch buffet were pretty good, but supper was a little lacking. I found a lot of the information in the reviews to be exaggerated, but the consistent that was true is the following: the food is COLD! Legit. Cold. They really need to keep their buffet food warmer. I saw someone write that the bread was stale, and the meat dried out – this was not true. Bread was great. My husband got sick from the tacos, so be careful. He did not register as a sickness with the nurse, just rode it out. His illness lasted from about 10pm that same night to around 3pm the next day. Pool grill was awesome. We usually did the following if we had no reservations to the restaurant, we’d have breakfast and lunch at the buffet, and around 6ish, grab buggers and whatnot from the pool. It was much better than the supper buffet. We didn’t eat at either of the snack attack bars.

Pool: The pool is where the party is at. Lots of people drinking, eating and having fun! We liked the beach, but spent maybe an hour or so a day at the pool. It was fun. If you complain about the pool being loud, just go to the beach! It’s much quieter there. I think the kids, for the most part, stayed at the pool. Those 25+ tended to be at the beach. Though the hot tub looked legit a little gray. I also saw a chicken bone in the pool (people shouldn't eat in there!! but sometimes they do, and apparently instead of being respectful and throwing their garbage out, they throw it in the pool....) (I also saw a dead lizzard in the pool. It scared the ..... out of me. It was at the end of the day when I saw it, and the next day it was gone. Otherwise the pool was clean. I saw them clean it in the morning...)

Wedding: Our wedding was great. It was organized, the planner(s) were great. We loved everything about it. The photographer (Ingrid) was amazing too. There is nothing about it we would change. For $80.00, I had someone come to the resort to do my hair. I didn’t love it … to be honest. It was slicked back VERY tight. But everything else was grade A.

Staff: The staff is great. Anyone that complains about them, is lying, or is rude to them to garner that response. Anytime you pass someone in the hall, they say hello. If you are in the washroom, washing your hands, and a staffer is there, they say hi & ask how your stay is. They remember you by name (and sometimes drink, but I varied my drinks so I made it hard for them…), really, really great. The only exception was the lady on the tours desk…. She was ALWAYS on the phone, and whenever we had a question, she would just pick up the corresponding brochure & hand it to us, not breaking her phone conversation. Because of her we didn’t book a tour with her, and just went straight to Atlantis to book! (Atlantis is amazing, definitely do it!! Also, Breezes charges the same amount as Atlantis directly, so you can book it there for the same cost.)

Drinks: Premium booze. Great drinks. No drink lists anywhere, I just copied the cute 18 year old girls! They always know what’s good.

All in all, we liked breezes. A few parts we didn’t love, but eh, that’s a resort. There are nicer, much more expensive resorts IN Bahamas! Go there if you are picky, but I think you’d still have a few complaints! Bahamas was great, we loved it. 1.25 to go into the city, do it! We had so much fun. We didn’t wait for longer than 5 minutes for a bus. I would recommend Breezes to a friend, but probably would not return, as we like to see different places. We made a few phone calls with a phone card (bought for 20 bucks in the store, totally worth it!), and it cost us $14 (2 bucks per call), which I felt was fair. The hotel pre-charged my credit card 100 bucks, and dropped it within 2 days, so again, fair. We were satisfied all in all.

Room Tip: Away from pool if you want quiet!
7 Thank Siobhan1983
resortgmNassau, General Manager at Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for having selected Breezes Bahamas for your wedding.It is good to note that in the main your vacation met with expectations and was enjoyable in nature.Your observation in respect to the staff member at our tour desk has been shared with the relevant departmental
head and given the attention it requires.We have also addressed the isssue as it relates to food temperature and continue to monitor same.We are grateful for your positive responses
and constructive observations.
Again, thank you for the feedback and we look to hosting you on your first anniversary.
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

This resort is excellent! The people that work there are fantastic - especially Marvin and Navaro!! The entertainment is great during the day and the evening shows. Its only 20 minutes from the airport. The food is excellent with many choices for every meal. The beach is clean and doesn't have many vendors. The only downside is the rooms need updating, but they are remodeling this fall. I can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: First floor rooms have a hammock on their patio.
3 Thank MomaDChicago
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.We are pleased to note that you enjoyed the various facets of
SuperClubs Breezes Bahamas and that your vacation met with expectations.
Looking forward to hosting you again.
Leuven, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed here for 9 days from april 17-26.

The hotel for sure needs a renovation, so I would say today it's only a 3*, but besides that there's not much to complain about: staff ware friendly, the room was clean and the food was good.

We arrived during the last days of spring break, so there still were a lof of schoolkids, who made terrible noise and had way too many drinks, but you can't blame the hotel for this off course.

One downside: the staff wasn't able to keep the pool clean during the day.

Spa was ok, we didn't care for the entertainment, which was a bit loud.

I did 10 dives with Stuart Cove's, perfect organisation. We made a tour in Nassau, which was fun.

I had higher expectations for this hotel, but value was still ok.

2 Thank Erik_BE
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

My 18 yr old dau and I stayed at Breezes April 9-15th, which was the last week of Spring break. I had been reading the reviews since late January so knew what to expect. Transportation from the airport to the resort was quick and smooth. We were first in line to check-in. I had booked the trip with Apple Vacation so I was surprised when the gal behind the desk asked me if I had something in writing showing we had a reservation for that date. I pulled out the Apple itinerary and the gal took off with it coming back a few minutes later with copy in hand. Then she dropped the bad news about not having an oceanfront room available but I'd be refunded $50 for the difference (turned out to be $35) and would need a letter from them at check-out to give the travel agent as the refund would come from Apple. It took 45 mins of standing at the front desk the day we checked out to get the letter. Our reserved oceanfront room would be available the next morning and a bellboy would be at our door at 9:00 to move us. Since I'd read the reviews and had seen this was a frequent occurrence I wasn't surprised and took it in stride but I think management needs to know how disappointing it is to have an oceanfront room reserved and dream about your vacation for months only to arrive and be told the room you reserved isn't available. We were given an oceanview room on the 3rd floor of the West tower. Colyn carried our bags and when we got to our room neither key card worked so he ran downstairs to get new key cards and came back with two maint guys. The new key cards didn't work either but thanks to Colyn's foresight the maint guys were able remedy the situation in short order. The gal at the front desk forgot to give me a lock for the safe and I didn't know to ask so had to carry our valuables around until we got in our new room the next day. The next morning when 9:00 rolled around we were sitting in our room, bags packed ready to be moved. At 9:15 I decided to go down to the front desk and see what the delay was. The guy behind the front desk knew nothing about changing our room. He did find 3 oceanfront rooms available but we needed to wait for them to be cleaned. I decided I better ask if the rooms had 2 beds. None of the 3 did. He had to get the manager involved and she found an oceanfront room with 2 beds but it wouldn't be available until 1:30. At 1:30 I checked back and the room was ready on the 6th floor of the East tower and I also got a lock for the safe. We moved ourselves as no one was available and we wanted to get settled in right away so we could get on with our vacation. Both rooms were sparse but I didn't have a problem with it. The TV reception wasn't good but we didn't come to the Bahamas to watch TV. The 2nd day in the oceanfront room the bed spreads disappeared but were brought back later and they'd been freshly laundered and were still warm. Our maid for our 6th floor room was very friendly and I wish I'd gotten her name so I could mention it here. We wished we'd brought our own shampoo & conditioner as what was provided, Breck brand combined shampoo/conditioner, left our hair feeling dry. The last night we were there the hair dryer in our bathroom went bad and started smoking. I reported it to the front desk and it was repaired/replaced before 10:00 the next morning. My only real complaint about both rooms is the beds. In many of the reviews it had been mentioned how hard and uncomfortable the beds were and let me tell you they were not exaggerating! I've never had such a hard, uncomfortable bed in a hotel/resort in my life and I'm 55 yrs old. My dau and I both had to see a chiropractor when we returned and I can honestly say I will NEVER return to this resort until the mattresses are replaced.

Regarding the food. The reviews are correct about the breakfast buffet being the best food of the day and the dinner buffet being the least. I have to admit to being a picky eater but I was always able to find something to eat even if it was the salad bar. That said this is my first vacation ever that I didn't gain a single pound. My dau is an even more picky eater and she did have a problem finding food to eat. She ate a lot of fries from the pool grill and I think she actually lost weight. We didn't make it to the Garden of Eden because I didn't think my dau would find anything on the menu to eat. We did go to Martino's twice. I didn't care for the chicken parmesan but the filet & shrimp was good. My dau got the beef lasagna both times. We didn't have a reservation either time. We showed up 10 min after the seating time and since there were tables available both times we were seated. I think it also helped that we were nicely dressed and not wearing t-shirts and cut off's. Our server the first night was James, and he was terrific. The gal we had the second night was good, too, but I can't remember her name.

The staff was gracious and friendly. Our room and the resort were clean. The beach was beautiful. The drinks were plentiful and tasty. We enjoyed the nightly entertainment especially the Junkanoo parade the last night we were there. I'd say half the people at the resort were teenage Spring breakers but I had no problem with them. The other half were people ranging in age from 30-80. We heard people speaking in German, Spanish and Chinese and there were at least 2 wedding while we were there. We enjoyed looking at the diamond jewelry (they had black & chocolate diamonds) in one gift shop and the items made by local artists in the other gift shop. We brought our own beach towels so didn't have to deal with signing out beach towels at the pool.

We took the bus ($1.25 person/each way) to the zoo, which was $16 per person and they take Visa. We saw the marching flamingos, parrots, black swans and lots of peacocks. We arrive just as they were doing the bird feeding where you go into this big caged area and hold out slices of apple. The birds fly to you and sit on your hand to eat the apple. Another day my dau went snorkeling with another guest, Nancy from NJ, in the roped off area in front of the resort and they found 7 starfish. They brought them up to the shore for us to see but then put them back. We took the bus downtown to the straw market and went into the McDonalds there to get free wifi. But the highlight of our trip was swimming with the dolphins through Dolphin Encounters, which I booked and paid for online before we left. My dau said it was the highlight of her life and we did it together.

So in a nutshell we had a great time and if a hard bed doesn't bother you and you aren't a picky eater then this is the place to go.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank H0garth
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review Of Superclubs Breezes Bahamas.Please accept our profuse apologies for the initial challenges.We can confirm that we have an on-going program for the
the replacement of bedding on an as needed basis.Please be assured that your constructive
observations will be shared with the entire team and we will be effecting changes as are
required.
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I would have happily supply the photos,exept my camera was stolen from the hotels recreation room area within the first hour of our stay along with my american passport and the set of keys.Without getting into two many details,the service at the hotel was awful.The most horrifying is the hotel,s emplyees attitude,both arrogant and incompetent,The happy exception was the hotel's assitant manager Ms.Minns,lovely and willing to help. I wish the rest of the personnel would follow suit.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank hermesburg
resortgmNassau, General Manager at Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Guest,
In futherance of fairness of reporting we would wish to highlght the following:
1.The camera and passport to which reference is made was removed from a public area
after having been left unattended by the owner thereof.As with valuables in any public domain
it is suggested that due care and caution are taken with such items.
2.The resort rendered asssistance that included assigning a manager to walk the reporting
process through with both the local authorities and American embassy officials for the
replacement of the passport that was left unattennded.
It is unfortunate that after not having paid due care with personal effects our valued customer is attributing such shortcoming to Breezes Bahamas.
Regards,
Jackson Weech

Travellers are raving about these Nassau hotels

Baltimore, Md
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Just back yesterday from a wonderful week in Nassau with my 2 girlfriends! We are all seasoned travelers, and as a flight attendant I feel that I can be considered somewhat of an expert on rating hotels :)

The Facility: A bit dated and warn, Breezes is reminiscent of a cruise ship circa 1985. With a huge new complex being built as of this writing, I'm sure there are no big plans to update in the near future. With that being said, the appearance of the resort is nothing fancy or spectacular, but the staff make sure to work round the clock to be sure that it is well maintained. The pool area and beaches are clean, with plenty of chairs for relaxing. The pool itself was clean and free of debris. The rooms have plenty of space to spread out, but the beds/pillows and decor leave a lot to be desired. I'm sure when they open their new facility they will update bedding. This didn't concern my girlfriends and I at all, as we only went to our rooms to sleep! The room was clean, free of bugs, had a great bathroom, and the odor that is mentioned in other reviews is typical of Caribbean resorts and although detectable, not bothersome.

The Food: Okay...now...this is not a 5 star restaurant. This is an all inclusive buffet style resort. The food was MORE THAN ADEQUATE! The whiners in the previous reviews must just be downright miserable people, because if you go hungry here, that's on YOU, not Breezes. The sheer amount of choices was fantastic! At each breakfast you had the standard made to order egg station, cereals, oatmeal, grits, breakfast meats, potatoes, fresh fruit, yogurt, fish, muffins, and some local Bahamian dishes. Lunch at the Grill included conch fritters, fries, Hot dogs, hamburgers, and your choice of Jerk Chicken, Caesar, or Crab Salads. The dinner buffet offered a HUGE salad bar, cheese bar, a pasta bar, many steamed vegetable choices, side dishes, and your choice of meat ranging from Lamb, pork, chicken, ham or fish, all prepared in a variety of ways with Bahamian flare. Everything we tried was freshly prepared, tasty, and if we came across something we didn't particularly care for, we simply went back and got something else! We had dinner in the Italian restaurant one evening and found the service to be outstanding, and the food just okay. We actually rather preferred the buffet!

The Staff: WE CAN NOT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THE STAFF!!! from Angela at the Pool Bar, Edwin at the Trapeze, and Ashton in the restaurant and everyone in between, they were all so friendly and accommodating! Fun loving and warm, you will be greeted with a smile and a hello from every staff member you encounter! They made the trip very memorable. Once again, the whiners in the other reviews probably don't like themselves, let alone anyone else, and if they could find something bad to say about the staff in general, SKIP THEIR REVIEW.

The Clientele: EXTREMELY DIVERSE! Ages ranged from 70's down to 20 somethings and every age in between. The atmosphere was always lively and fun. There were folks there from all over Europe, South America, The US, and everywhere else you can imagine. Everyone we encountered seemed to be enjoying themselves!

The atmosphere was high energy, with activities starting at 1100 and running right until the disco closes at 0400! No way you can be bored at Breezes.

If you are looking for a fun time for a group of friends, couples, or families with children older than 14 you'll find it here and won't be disappointed. If you're looking for high end accommodations, or If you want peace, quiet and romance, this is not the place you want to book.

We'll be back again, same time next year!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank CaribbeanJunkee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
7.2 km away
1.9 km away
Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
4.6 km away
British Colonial Hilton Nassau

Been to Breezes Resort & Spa Bahamas? Share your experiences!