“Anniversary Trip”

Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Anniversary Trip”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at The British Colonial Hilton, Nassau the week of March 26, 2012. I had been in contact with Tristan Moss who I believe is Asst. Mgr. of Concierge. He is absolutely the BEST!!!! He arranged for a special dinner on the beach for our anniversary and a limo from the airport with the best limo service ever (Beaver)! I had been in contact with Mr. Moss via email and sent him my requests. Not only did he arrange everything, but it was all so much more than I expected.
The staff at the hotel, restaurant and bar were absolutely outstanding! My husband and I both were so pleased. Everyone was so friendly (except maybe the giftshop employees) and so accommodating. We absolutely will go back. I

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank searcy b
NassauHiltonManager, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to hear such positive feedback regarding your stay. I guarantee that Tristan Moss will be delighted to hear your comments. We strive to go above and beyond to exceed your expectations and I'm glad to know we succeeded.
Thank you very much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you once again to our property in the near future.
Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Just spent 2 nights at the Hilton with my family. Overall, a great getaway centrally located about 1 block from downtown next to cruise port and Senor Frogs. The staff were always very friendly. One exception, was the outdoor pool bar--the service seemed to lack on both days. The rooms are decent, I was upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite. My Diamond status gave me executive lounge (breakfast on sat/sun is in restaurant) access. They had food/beverage (free alcohol 5p-7p) throughout the day with nice views (top floor with balconies). The private beach area was pretty big with chairs and unbrellas. You can watch the cruise ships come in and out from the beach. This is an older hotel but seems to be kept in pretty good shape.

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanview room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
NassauHiltonManager, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property.
We are always pleased to have the feedback of our Diamond members and we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
While your comments related to the service at the pool bar are atypical of the area, we will monitor and correct where necessary.
Thank you once again and we trust that your next family stay would be for a longer period.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We were in the Bahamas just for the day on a Royal Carribean Cruise. The British Colonial Hilton was an exquisite place to relax. For only $55 per person we had the pool, private beach, towels and ammenities. Included also was $30 per person food voucher! The staff was profession and very courteous. I would definately recommend this establishment!

4 Thank RobinM216
Cleveland
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We (myself, my wife and our 9-year old boy) just returned from a vacation in Bahamas and we had stayed at the British Colonial Hilton for 4 nights. We had selected this hotel based on the reviews on Trip Advisor (and because it was a Hilton) and we were not disappointed! I had picked a harbor-view room during the reservation and also followed up with a call requesting any upgrade I might be eligible for as a basic Hilton Honors member. Upon checking-in, we were allotted a spacious, corner room on 5th floor with two Queen-beds and a great view of the water & the harbor, though the room overlooked the parking lot below rather than the courtyard and the beach. The bathroom, too, was spacious though I wish they had a privacy screen/curtain on the shower stall so one person could use the sink while the other is in the shower, when trying to save time in the morning!
We were so tired (and hungry!) by the time we got to the room so we decided to order room service, and made coffee with tap water while waiting for the food. The room service person who brought the food told us not to use tap water for drinking and use bottled water only. We wish the front desk had warned us about this, or there were some form of notice posted in the room. The tap water, indeed, had a strange odor/flavor to it. Anyway, during our stay in the Bahamas we were careful only to drink bottled water.
Every morning we got to see the giant cruise ships coming into the harbor, from our room! It was a nice experience! We also spent some time at the private beach, which was actually bigger than I had imagined, with plenty of cabanas/chairs, towels etc. We spent the days sight-seeing (Atlantis Water Park, Dolphin encounters/swim at Blue Lagoon, snorkeling through Stewart Coves, zoo etc.). The concierge desk had fantastic staff who helped us with all the reservations and inquiries! They really went out of their way to help us plan these excursions, especially the snorkeling and dolphin experiences.
I would say the best thing we liked about the hotel was the breakfast! The selection was just amazing, that included pretty much anything one would ever want in the morning, such as omelets made to order, toast with choice of whole-wheat bread, an assortment of fruits, steel-cut oats with a variety of topping options, pancakes, etc. etc. all laid –out perfectly and beautifully! We were so glad we selected the package that included breakfast, though there are some quick options across from the hotel (Dunkin Donuts, for e.g.) as well.
The only surprise (of the unpleasant kind) I had was when I was told bluntly “sorry, no, we are too busy” when I called to request a late check-out (1:00 pm instead of 12:00) since our return flight was only in the evening. However busy the hotel might have been, I found this unreasonable since their check-in time is only 3:00 pm which meant giving us an extra hour could not really have affected their schedule. I called back asking to speak to a manager, but I didn’t have to – I was told I could check out at 1:00. I don’t think it should require a threat of wanting to speak to the manager to get a late check-out permission. Anyway, we were grateful we had a little extra time since we spent the morning visiting the Straw Market.

1 Thank MPfromCleveland
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property.
We are pleased that you were not disappointed that you selected out hotel for your family trip. We are proud of our culinary team and we know that Chef Lockhart and his team will be delighted to read your comments.
There are times when the operation does not allow us to offer late check-out but we are happy that we were able to provide you a little extra time to visit the straw market.
Thank you once again. We look forward to your return.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I always have family stay at the Hilton. There are shuttles to take you to the attractions nearby. This way you get a taste of the Bahamas and are in walking distance to various restaurants. The Hilton is traditional and the pool is lovely with a wonderful view of the ocean.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a better view of the ocean. Lower rooms have a better view of the pool.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lisann326
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property and although it is a brief review, I am sure that readers will find it helpful.
Thank you once again and we look forward to your return.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed here over our kids' spring break and we were very pleased. We think it is a little overpriced but maybe we shouldn't have paid so far in advance. Everything about the hotel was great. We had 2 rooms and we paid for the view of the town but we were upgraded to ocean view! The rooms are a little small but they are beautiful as is the beach and the pool area and the gardens. It is so close to town that it we could go out for a little shopping and then come back and cool off around the pool. The staff were all so friendly and especially Juan at the concierge desk. We would definitely stay here again!

CT
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We visited Nassau with several other couples and elected to stay in the Hilton based upon reviews posted on Tripadvisor. It was a great choice and I would highly recommend it to anyone planning a vacation to the Bahamas. The hotel is a $27 cab ride away from the airport but is located in downtown, so you can walk to most restaurants and even Atlantis if you desire. The hotel staff is very friendly and accommodating. WiFi is free in the lobby of the hotel and the password changes daily. There are also 3 computers in the business center that you can check emails on. Verizon suggested I leave my phone on "Airplane Mode" the entire time so I wouldn't get charged for data, and simply use the WiFi mode to collect emails.
Based on other reviews, we booked a room facing the bay and although it was a bit small, it was clean and had a beautiful view. The only negatives were that the area rug under the bed was deeply stained and the water pressure in the shower was weak. The room safe is located on a top shelf in the closet, so it was difficult to make certain that I had retrieved all of my jewelry.
The beach and pool area were well maintained although there was a bit of trash (styrofoam containers from takeout) strewn about the shoreline. There are plenty of chairs, cushions, and shade areas so you don't feel like you have to get up at 7am to save a chair. You have to sign-out for towels so that ensures that guests don't leave them around all day. There are many lounging couches and beds around the pool and they are available for no extra charge - something I have never seen at a resort. There is food service around the pool and beach and is reasonably priced for the islands.
We walked to Starbucks in the am for coffee and dined at the Bahamian Cafe for lunch and Graycliff Manor for dinner. The hotel is adjacent to Sr. Frogs restaurant and just down from the Straw Market. The cruise ships dock just to the right of the hotel and you get a nice view of them entering and leaving port.
If you book the hotel, I would suggest you double-back and check that the room rate doesn't go down before you arrive. I would not recommend pre-paying for the room. My AAA rate on-line was lower than what my travel agent could get, so I ended up booking directly through the Hilton website.
The Bahamian people are so nice and friendly. There is no one trying to get you on a tour, sell you something you don't want, or asking for money. The airport is still under construction but the departure area is updated and very nice. They tell you to come 3 hours before your flight leaves, but 2 is plenty.
It was a great trip and I look forward to visiting again soon.

Room Tip: Request water view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank 2DogsatHome
NassauHiltonManager, Manager at British Colonial Hilton Nassau, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are sure that many readers will find such a detailed review to be helpful.

We are pleased to know that you will recommend our hotel and plan return but we are especially delighted that you experienced the spirit of hospitality of the Bahamian people.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your return.

Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
2.8 km away
5.3 km away
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
Grand Hyatt Baha Mar
#2 of 37 in Nassau

Been to British Colonial Hilton Nassau? Share your experiences!