“One of the best vacations we've ever had.”

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of the best vacations we've ever had.”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My husband and I enjoyed an exceptional vacation at Sandals Royal Bahamian. We stayed for a week and were celebrating our 10 anniversary. The resort location is perfect. No more than a 20 minute ride from the airport. I loved Sandals Cay (the offshore island). Both properties were well maintained. The service from the general staff was great. The concierge service more than met our expectations. When Gina--one of the concierge staff--learned that we were there celebrating our anniversary, she arranged to have a surprise sent to our room along with the turn down service. It was one of the true high points of our stay. Thank you Gina! Then the next night the concierge arranged dinner reservations for us at Baccarat, one of the resorts nicest venues. Thank you Chuck! These are just two examples of how helpful everyone was during our stay. Our room was clean and also well maintained. The view from our room looked just like the photo out on the resort to the ocean. Some aging in the bathroom, not a big deal. What did I like least: the mattress. It was all right but not the best mattress I've slept on. I wouldn't go back in March. My husband and I usually go to the Caribbean in March but this was our first trip to the Bahamas and it was cooler than we expected. But keep in mind that everyone is different. Also, special thanks to Amaeleo, Shavon, Jason, Marvin, Tiko and Shawn, the photo crew. They made it hard to whitte down 91 photos to 25. My husband and I had a great time. Bottom line, I can't wait to return. Best vacation ever.

Room Tip: Ocean view.
4 Thank Idella C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,970)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2012

This resort has everything to offer for a romantic get away!! It is definitely worth every penny and is a 5 star plus vacation. The resort is beautiful and with 2 huge pools and numerous private pools/hot tubs plus a private island (a short 5 min boat ride leaving every hour) plus 3 beaches (2 on island and one at main resort) it was never crowded and no line ups ever!! Everyone was treated like royalty which brings me to talk about the incredible staff there. They blew me away with their friendliness and sense of humor. Although the night life was a bit quiet it is what you make of it. The two bartenders at the piano bar were so fun and are famous on this website. Ha Ha Here's to Sherman and Trisdale - YOU GUYS ROCK BABY! Ask for the butterynipple shooter from Sherman (and yes he looks like Mike Tyson but much hotter) Your smile is worth a million bucks. The piano guy plays the funniest island song ever called family and scandels. Speaking of friendly people - Here's to Tanya our night time maid who always had a smile and funny comments and suggestions for us!! We asked for an upgraded room which was cheerfully given (our wish was granted - beautiful ocean view from the 6th floor) and Christopher was sent to move our bags. He was so polite and cheerful. Thanks Christopher for your suggestions of where to go and what to see. Last but not least I need to thank Calvin for the poker tournament for charity (which was won by me) and don't think I didn't notice the ace at the bottom of the deck ha ha. Hope you are feeling better. We also met some amazing people from US and Canada who we will keep in touch with. We couldn't stop smiling and saying how can we top this. We booked already for next year to stay at Sandals in Jamacia because we are now so spoiled we can't stay anywhere else. Thanks to all the staff at the Royal Bahamian - we love you guys and we will be back!! From Dave and Janice - Calgary Alberta Canada

Room Tip: 5th or 6th floors left side of Windsor building for partial ocean views.
9 Thank David L
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We went to Sandals for our honeymoon 3/12/12-3/18/12. The property, people, beach, drinks, room and private island are all top notch but, and this is big when paying close to $4k for a week of all inclusive, the food is awful! Everything has obviously been sitting in warming trays for god knows how long and we had terrible stomach issues from our second day there on. Kimonos and the pizza shack were the only two meals that were cooked to order. It was so bad by our fourth day that we resorted to buying chips and Gatorade from the gift shop for dinner. When we asked bartenders and other employees if they ate at any of the restaurants on the property they gave us a grin and said no, no,no. They then told us to go to the fish fry in downtown Nassau, which we did and wouldn't you know it, no more stomach issues.
On our last day we went on a catamaran ran by flying cloud, which I highly recommend. While onboard another passenger informed us that he and his wife have been going to Nassau every year for the last 20 years and that they stopped going to Sandals 10 years ago because they had the same type of experience as us. He said they now go to another all inclusive resort that is thousands less than Sandals and the food, he says, is much better.
My wife and I are not foodies or picky eaters by any means and I know that when going to an all inclusive the food isn't going to be gourmet but for the money we paid I feel like I need to warn others who are thinking about going to this particular Sandals.

1 Thank Ed H
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My husband and I stayed for 8 days here. It was our first trip to a Sandals resort and we had a great time but the resort really didn't live up to it's "Luxury Included" title. We paid for a Concierge room and our room was nice; however, we found the concierge staff to be a bit snobby. I read other reviews before we left and other people were saying the staff wasn't friendly, but we only found that problem with the concierge staff and I don't know if it's because they are trying to look classy or professional but they did come across as unfriendly. The rest of the staff around the resort were friendly and greeted us or would stop and talk with us.

We went on the resort scuba diving excursion which was a great experience. It was both our first time to try scuba diving and my husband was a natural, I was nervous and had a bit of trouble getting down, but the diving instructor was amazing, he stayed with me and took me around for an extra 15 minutes so I could at least experience it. They have an underwater photographer that goes with the group and takes pictures, these pictures are expensive but definitely worth buying.

We found the food at the restaurants really good, I'm vegetarian so for me the choices were pretty limited. If we went to a restaurant more than once I was stuck eating the same thing again but it was good food. They make awesome pizzas at the pizzeria.
We had no problem getting into restaurants or getting lounge chairs but we went while the resort was still under renovations so one building was shut down. I can't imagine what it would be like if both buildings were open, I wouldn't think there was enough room for everyone there.

The resort seemed pretty quiet and tame, it almost seemed more of a seniors resort. We went to the nightly entertainment show in the Theatre and it was really disappointing. They definitely need to work on the quality of their performances.

Although we had a great trip we wouldn't come back to this resort and are wary about trying another Sandals location. We spent a lot of money on this vacation ($6,200cdn) and to compare we spent half that ($3,000) last year on our trip to Cancun. I understand Mexico is a cheaper destination but to get the value of your money I would definitely go somewhere else. We had a fantastic time in Cancun and I guess our expectations were too high when we came to Sandals.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MrsH352
Lake Zurich, Illinois
Reviewed 21 March 2012

While I was staying at this resort one of the staff, Gabriella Marcelino, impressed my wife and I so much that I have to post a comment about her. She seams to me a cut above the norm, anywhere. I believe she is from South Africa. In the 5 to 15 seconds a hostess has to meet, greet, and sit you, she has a special quality to connect with a guest and make you feel welcome.
I met her in different areas of the resort where she had duties to answer the concerns of the guests. Conversation with her was easy and I always felt she was really listening to my concerns.

That said, my wife and I spent the week of March 5th, 2012 at this resort. My wife got violently ill and I had to get an ambulance to take her to the emergency room at the local hospital. Not a pleasant experience. So I will not review this resort because of the terrible experience my wife had there.

However, I still feel that this one staff member, Gabriella Marcelino, was a standout. I also would like to thank the housecleaning staff who had to clean the room after my wife's illness. They did their jobs professionally and considering the mess from my wife's illness, I thank them all for helping my wife feel more comfortable. I only wish I can remember their names.

Ed Wong

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ed W
Oxford, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My wife and I just spent our honeymoon here March 2012. This resort was everything we dreamed of for our honeymoon. We were treated like royalty as everyone had a smile on their face and was so respectful. We stayed in the Windsor building and enjoyed all the restaurants on the resort. The private island was an awesome touch as you got to have a more private beach experience with Cabana's, swings, couples massage, pool, restaurant, etc. The water and views from the resort were absolutely amazing. You have to go to the Bahamian cooking class - Jamal was so funny and made the who`le experience worthwhile. Also, if you take photos - ask for Jason - he took some amazing pictures and was very enthusiastic. We did go to Atlantis one day and got on the #10 bus that runs every ten minutes by the resort. The bus was only $1.25 per person, but some of the drivers are crazy and will scare you. Once you get downtown and want to go to Atlantis you can get on the ferry thats behind the straw market. The ferry was $4 a piece each way. One tip while going on the beach would be to get your towels early or bring your own beach towels because they go fast if you like to sleep in and are not replenished as frequently as we would like. Overall, we would recommend this resort and we can definitely see us coming back in the future.

1 Thank JDance31012
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I spent 6 nights here for our honeymoon. It was exactly what we were looking for- a relaxing resort with little to worry about!

We stayed in the Windsor building and had concierge service as part of our package.

We had no issues with our airport transportation and were transferred via limo with another couple and 1 other guy going to a different resort.

Check in was smooth, complete with champagne and a guided tour on the way to our room.

Staff was extremely hard working and super friendly! So so so nice (Kdoy at Baccarat was superb)

Our favorite aspect of the property was the private island- totally worth the entire experience. If you're expecting to walk through beach landscapes before you get to the water, this is not the place to go. The hotel beach front is comparable to something you'd see on the Gulf Coast- sandy beaches steps away from the pool area, with plenty of lounge chairs, umbrellas, etc. However, the island experience is different! We would recommend spending as much time on the island as possible. Beach loungers are not as plentiful, and the hot tub was lukewarm at best during our stay on the island, but you can get in a hot tub anywhere- enjoy the gorgeous beach and crystal blue waters!

The island also has clean restrooms, a cafe, and pool with swim up bar.

We did get in a hot tub on the main property on a whim one night- turned out to be super chlorinated, frying the ends of my hair and bleaching out our swimsuits. There was no indication that we shouldn't have been utilizing it, we were kind of upset with this incident after the fact.

We enjoyed Baccarat, Kimonos, and Casanova for dinner the best. Spices and Casanova's breakfasts were very good as well. Overall, food is ok, desserts leave a lot to be desired.

Towels were scarce most of the trip- had to wake up early, grab towels, and go back to sleep (we like to sleep in) most days. Make sure you get them, once they're gone, they didn't seem to refill them often. Also, grab them prior to heading to the island.

Sundries and such are pricey in the gift shop ($26 for sunscreen), so pack plenty if you don't want to pay such prices.

We decided to take a taxi to Paradise Island and the downtown wharf area when the weather was rainy one day. Taxi was approx. $15 to downtown, an additional $5 to Paradise Island. Buses are only $1.25 but we preferred the taxi.

P.S. Paradise Island traffic is insane from about 4 pm to 6 pm, try to avoid entering or exiting the island at this time.

Overall, we had a great experience! It's basically a cruise ship on land- kind of cheesy, but fun! If you want an experience with little worries and lots of relaxation, Sandals Royal Bahamian will suffice!

Room Tip: Our room did not face the water or the pool area and we didn't hear any noises at night from com...
8 Thank budgetgirl85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
8.9 km away