“Not quite there”

Sandals Royal Bahamian Spa Resort & Offshore Island
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Nassau
Reviewed 9 April 2012

First visit to a Sandals resort and a little disappointed.
We expected everything to be top notch, but sadly not the case. Pool, beach, private island all excellent and kept spotlessly clean. Always plenty of room on the beach, but beds around the pool seemed to be reserved for the 'butler' guests.
Food quality was good, but what let it down was the service. There was always plenty of staff around, but seemed totally disorganised and left people waiting for tables whilst vacated tables remained uncleared.
Our garden villa room was very comfortable and kept clean. The bar was a nice added bonus and was reguraly topped up with water, fruit juices, wine, etc. Bathroom quite small and would have preferred a separate shower rather than over the bath.
Off shore island was lovely and the food at Cafe Goombay on an evening was one of the best.
Enjoyed the holiday, but expected better for a Sandals resort.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

The all-inclusive at Sandals is a true all-inclusive. They've thought of everything and make sure you get it. The service is outstanding, the atmosphere is romantic, we didn't want to leave. Make sure your dinner reservations are made for the week, and make them at the beginning of your stay. Otherwise, you can wait an hour or more for dinner, or get there early. There's always entertainment in the evening.

Room Tip: Villas are private with a nice private garden patio for a room-service breakfast. A private smaller...
5  Thank CapeTraveler22
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My wife and I went away to Nassau for a week of vacation. This is our short report. I hope it helps.

The resort itself is very nice. Clean and well maintained. The room was clean and housekeeping did a great job of keeping the room for us.

The staff for the most part was very friendly, courteous, and helpful. I will say the bar staff at the Windsor pool was less than efficient. Waiting for a drink with three bartenders working should not be an issue, but it was. The drinks were watered down (it seemed that way at other locations on site too).

The food was probably the biggest disappointment. The best meal we had was breakfast at the Baccarat. The other restaurants were nothing to write home about. We ventured out and had some great meals at local spots that were very good.

Finding a chair around the pool was a challenge (unless you had a butler which we did not). Towels were often hard to come by as well.

There are fire pits (gas) set up for folks to sit around in the evening. There was entertainment which was good. Good relaxing music.

We were hoping for more shows, but were disappointed. There was a talent show advertised for one evening and billed as the highlight of the week. It was to begin at 10 PM. When we arrived, there was a lady giving salsa lessons on the stage. We knew this was happening prior to the scheduled show. There were couples on the stage participating and a good crowd in the audience watching. It was obvious that the lesson had been going on for awhile and it was nearly 20 minutes past the time the talent show was to begin. The salsa lesson was still going full steam. We left.

The organized events were disappointing. There was beach volleyball each day. This was fun. The activities around the pool were boring and embarrassing. Beer pong? Best man contest? Really? I didn't think I was staying at a fraternity house which is exactly what the games were like.

The private island was cute, but nothing wonderful.

11  Thank seanm647
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My fiance and I just returned from a 7 day vacation to SRB. It was our first time to the Bahamas and our first time to SRB. Prior to our trip, I did a lot of research and this resort looked awesome. We stayed in booked a Gardenview Zen Room and were updated to an Oceanview room. The room was nice and view was pretty. We met many people and the guests were all very friendly. I guess the complaint that we have about the resort is the service from the staff. The bartenders in the pools bars are so miserable and unfriendly. The resort was not full and the it wasn't like there were so many guests that the staff had to keep up with them. I stood at the pool bar for 10 minutes one day before one of the four bartenders even turned around to acknowledge I was there. Service is the same in the restaurants. Baccarat was unbelievably good. Best restaurant there. Do no eat at Crystal Room. We waited for 2 hours almost to get a four course meal and the restaurant was empty. I guess if you dont mind waiting and being overlooked this will not bother you. The pizza bar is great and the Royal Cafe is good as well. We were just a bit disappointed as we paid a lot of money for this trip and were expecting the luxury service that Sandals is supposed to be known for.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I don’t usually write reviews, but because of the incredible difference in good and bad reviews, I thought I would help clarify things.

I had an amazing time at this Sandals resort. The property is extremely clean. It’s designed and planned for couples to have a romantic vacation. The food is excellent for a Caribbean resort. I was actually surprised at the “American” aspect of the food. Eggs Benedict, smoked salmon, caviar, bagels & cream cheese, pizza, steak, veal & lobster, all exquisite! Buffets are nothing compared to cheap buffets found in other “all inclusive” resorts. Yes, some things were better than others, but nothing bad enough to write about.

One pool is cooler than the other, but it’s not that bad (mind you I’m from QC, Canada). The service at the bars is sometimes a little slow and a few bartenders and waitresses look like they would rather be somewhere else. But in their defense, they are hard at work, serving a bunch of people on vacation that desperately need a drink or they might die in the next 5 minutes... I did see a lot of people complain about service because they waited more than 5 minutes for a drink or had to wait for a table for dinner, but it didn’t bother us.

One important note, for restaurants that do not require a reservations, you need to get there 30 minutes ahead of your preferred dining time because there is a wait. But seriously, do you know of any good restaurant in town where you don’t have to wait if you don’t have a reservation?? We were totally OK with this and just worked around it. It was a frustration on the day we arrived, because we didn’t know and were starving, but we found our way to the Cricket’s Pub for a fast “fried” meal without waiting.

All I can say to other reviewers is take a chill pill. I was so worried about going after reading certain reviews, I almost cancelled my trip.

For entertainment, we enjoyed the Crickets pub and sign along at the piano bar.
Best restaurants, Baccarat, Crystal and Gordon’s on the Pier (but cancel if it’s windy because it ruins it). For lunch, we didn’t really like Royal Café burgers, but loved the wraps and curly fries at the Island Café Goombay. The pizza was absolutely great, quite surprising actually.

If you have a chance, you must check out the Atlantis. You can go for the day or half day.

I’m already looking into my next Sandals vacation!!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms in the Balmorial tower. It's the renovated building and it's quite nice! Co...
5  Thank carole m
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This has to be the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Customer service, food, drinks and even the views were perfect! Don't think twice about traveling to this resort! I long to return an also to visit other Sandals resorts.

Mark & Tracy Shambley

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Tracys9602
Reviewed 5 April 2012

we booked an oceanview concierge room in the new balmoral tower-absolutely gorgeous!!! the concierge made all our reservations for us- baccarat, gordon's on the pier, kimonos. all the restaurants there are amazing!! definitely do baccarat- it is 5 star!! casanovas was yummy also. i can't say enough about the friendliness of the staff. we are already planning to go back for our 20th wedding anniversary. what a beautiful peaceful place. we had a fully stocked bar in our room (all complimentary!) and we had champagne on the balcony every night!! go, go, go- don't hesitate! absolutely wonderful resort!! oh, did i mention the beautiful fire pits that are lit at night that you can lay around and relax?? like i said- go!!

Room Tip: definitely do oceanview concierge room in the balmoral tower
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adam P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nassau
9.9 km away