New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection

Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Arlington, Virginia
“Atlantis 2nd time there”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Atlantis is an amazing property! The buildings are large and the art that has been created to greet visitors and top buildings is often nautical in theme and always beautiful. Our room in the Royal Towers was nice, not awesome but very good and the view was cool from the 8th floor, I know the higher you go the better the view of the pool areas, fish aquariums, and beach. The casino is really nice, it's a good addition to the resort. In the casino area are a couple bars and a club. You get comped drinks in the casino but not at the video poker in the bar. Food and drink at Atlantis are pretty expensive no matter what you get but I have to say the food is good for the most part so that is good. There are various levels of price for restaurants but none are really inexpensive - maybe Quiznos in the marina area. If you have money to spend there are lots of high end clothing and jewelry stores and some local crafts and Bahamas related gifts. My husband and I decided to splurge on the restaurant Seafire for dinner, I was not overly impressed. I would call it good but not excellent, I wanted excellent for 2 people for dinner at $200 total. I hate to say it since you can get it in the US but Carmine's Italian restaurant was very good. The breakfast sandwiches at Platos are good, egg, cheese, ham on a croissant. Basically all the fruity and frozen drinks are yummy. The water slides, pools, rivers are awesome. We spent some time in the rapids river, which was just fast enough and fun. In March it is about low to mid 80s so you are not sweating which is good but you are not hot which would make you want to be the water more. The beach is nice and there is a little inlet area that is good for families. There are tons of kids but some pools shave less kids than others. Some pools have dj's which are entertaining. There are servers for the pool which rocks since who doesn't want a frozen drinks delivered to their beach chair?! Service is very good at Atlantis everyone I came in contact with was professional, pleasant, friendly, and prompt which is great since sometimes the Caribbean gets a bad rap for slower customer
service. Note that servers get 15% gratuity automatically so tip more if you want but just a heads up. The aquariums are so incredible, if you like fish and wildlife you will love this. The aquariums are floor to ceiling with manta rays, all types of fish, eels, jelly fish, sharks, etc. It is awe inspiring. If you what you can have encounters with dolphins, sea lions, sharks, or rays. It also is great that Atlantis/Bahamas is a short flight from the East Coast, gotta love that. There is golf too for people who like to golf. I definitely recommend Atlantis! Lastly we did go to the fish fry in town, we went with a group around the dinner hour, we didn't eat since we ate earlier but everyone I talked to liked their food. It is a strip of local restaurant/bars. I am not sure if I'd spend the night out here but good for dinner in my opinion. Last thing I hear if you have the money stay at the Cove and that the Reef is good for families because they have a kitchen.

Room Tip: Definitely get beach front room and get one on a higher floor so you can see the vast property. I h...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank laterskater

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,343)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

A stunning hotel and environment but the food is average, the service poor and the prices well above insult levels

4 Thank Investor2311
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

where to begin? this place is spectacular. no other word for it. the royal towers are absolutely beautiful. as you walk around, pay attention to the details, they did. everything is first class: fresh flowers everywhere, small architectural details everywhere, nothing was missed. the facilites are clean and well maintained.
the personnel were friendly and helpful. i've read reviews about the staff not being attentive. they certainly were to us! we had one year old and three year boys with us, absolutely every employee made a big fuss over them. they made us feel like the kids were they cutest ever to come to the resort, (which of course they probably are!) the definition of good customer service is making you feel special- even when you're not! they achieved this.
no matter who we approached to ask a question or for directions, they were always helpful, often walking you all the way to your destination, not just pointing. And very pleasant about it, making small talk along the way.
the marine life displays are incredible. it took us days just to see most of them.
the beaches are beautiful, they are clean,there are lots of beach chairs, many of the chairs have shade covers on them, but you do need to get there early to get these. the waves were a little rough for the babes, so we spent some of our time at the protected lagoon. it is perfect for kids. not only are there no waves, but it has a large sandy area to play, although there is not much shade- you really have to work to find some. lots of sunscreen and hats for the kids! there are tons of fish in the water for the kids to see, especially over near the rocky area.we brough snorkeling equipment, but you don't need it to see these fish! while we were there, an employee came out with french fries for the kids to feed the fish- what a blast! the kids all had a ball, another unexpected attention to detail. we did not try the rental boats- but lots of people were and it looked like fun. these are located on the opposite side of the lagoon from the swimming area.
the gourmet restaurants we visited were excellent: cafe martinique, mesa grill and casa d'angelo. expensive, but excellent. we used a hotel babysitter for the one night, she was a little late- bahamas time?- but was wonderful with the kids. one night we decided to try something different and went to seagrapes for the buffet dinner. not the best, there are lots of other casual dining places, i might try instead. the buffet breakfast at marketplace is terrific. we ate there every day.
the pools and slides close early- 6 PM while we were there- and we were concerned about activities for the kids in the evening. the marina village is the happening place! lots of activity: musicians playing, people dancing in the streets (yeah- literally), informal shopping, ice cream places. great place to go. and the dig/ruins are lighted at night, so you can visit them then also, and save your daytime hours for aquaventure.
we stayed at the imperial club in the royal towers. we found it to be worthwhile. the convenience of private elevators centrally located is great. and since so few people are using them not a lot of stops before hitting your floor. however, the snacks in the lounge are the worst of all the concierge level resorts where i have stayed. as we bought the dining plan, we never went up for breakfast although i hear it is adequate as a meal. the afternoon snacks were peanuts and cheese, and not much more. and the evening "sweets" were a few cupcakes and cookies. BUT- full bar available all the time, and full no charge cocktail service (not just wine and beer) from 5-7 included. we made full use of this for keeping sippie cups filled with apple or orange juice and bottles filled with milk. very convenient to just stop by the lounge on the way in at bedtime rather than having to stop and buy milk somewhere.
some tips-
- do get to the pools or beach early to get a chair- if not, ask an employee, they'll always manage to find some for you- of course, it'll cost you a couple dollars for a tip, but worth it.
- do get to the pools when they open as they are only open from 9-6 everyday and the slides/splashers only open from 1-6
- do take an underwater camera- you don't want to get your good one wet or sandy on the beach, and you are going to want those shots
- do be prepared to turn down all the salespeople on the beach- they are relentless, but if you want some inexpensive souvenirs, they seem ok, there is also a little hut on the beach that sells this stuff. we bought there.
- do go to the guy on the beach and watch him crack open a coconut for you and then fill it with an "adult beverage", but only if you have someone to watch the kids- they are VERY strong.
- don't believe all the posts about how expensive this place is. yes, it is expensive. but have you ever been to disney world? i really didn't find any of the fast food or casual restaurants any more expensive than disney. i was pleasantly surprised when i got there and found the prices after reading these posts, i expected to go broke! i only went half-broke :-)
- don't believe the atlantis website, a lot of their info is inaccurate- two examples for us. yes, they provide water at meals for free, not just bottled water. and yes, you can take lap-riders/babies/toddlers on the lazy river. that made a big difference for us, the kids loved it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY IF YOU HAVE KIDS- FERGIE'S TAXI SERVICE WILL PROVIDE CAR SEATS FOR YOU TO GET TO THE ATLANTIS. we emailed her at sexysany@hotmail.com and arranged for pickup at the airport and return trip for 5 people, with 2 car seats needed (with the proper weight rating for each kid), 7 suitcases and one very large double stroller. her son came who was very pleasant and helpful, in a car large enough to fit all of this stuff and only charged $45 dollars each way. knowing this was all arranged before leaving home made it so much less stressful. i had read that they are reliable and i whole heartedly agree.

Room Tip: we went with the harbour view to save a few dollars, the view at night is spectacular. all the ligh...
11 Thank docdebbi
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Just finished a program a the resort. Small group with less than 20 rooms per night. It would be easy to get lost in such a large resort but the staff at the Sun Lounge and our Convention Services Manager made all the difference in the world. The Manager of the Sun Lounge, Dustin Morton was courteous professional and worked very hard to make sure that our entire group was comfortable. There were 2 Concierges who tried very hard to make sure that our rooms were ready and their stay was great. Thank you Antonio and Darren. And most importantly, my CSM was really special, Samantha Hunter was patient, detail oriented, made sure that every detail and request was completed. Our welcome dinner was delicious, the service was good. All of the rooms were ready eventhough the hotel was sold out the night before. Yes, it was a great trip from a convention point of view.

Room Tip: I loved my high floor corner room. Couldn't ask for anything more.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My extented family of 4 generations consisting of 31 people ranging in age from mid 80's to less than one year just returned from a 5 day stay. Everyone enjoyed themselves and there was plenty for all age levels.
The food was outstanding and I suggest the Atlantis meal plan which allowed us to chose breakfast and dinner at any location. The price for the plan may seem high but it gave us lots of very nice fine dining choices and with advance planning we all ate together and we ate very well.
The water activities were so varied from dolphin interaction, snorkeling with giant manta rays,wading in an oversized kiddie pool to beach and bay sunning.
Our oldest member remained a part of everything by renting a motorized scooter allowing her the independence of younger days. All the water activities, fine dinning, casino and shopping were in walking distance.
Most evening after dinner was visiting time with each other but the casino was always available and the shopping was excellent. Truly something for everyone of all ages.

Room Tip: Get a water view and enjoy the show.
5 Thank str8edge3
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Well, not sure where to start but I ask you to please read this review before booking.
We are a family of 4 from Chicago and by the time we booked our fly, vacation, dinner plan we had $6,000 into the trip but at the time it was not a big deal...it was Bahamas and Atlantis....WOW we couldn't wait...
Airport arrival, I'm sorry to say it and I'm sure they are not like that but 80% Bahamians we met were rude and not friendly.
Made it to the hotel...WOW impressive it really is BUT people very rude checking in, room smells and hair dryer almost got my kid electrocuted...
Pools are good and rides are awesome BUT once again, staff is not friendly and don't care about the turists....
ONLY 1 day I screwed up and left my wallet out of the safe and I got wiped out...I mean totally wiped out....over $300 in cash and left me with $1 I guess for decency
Of course I filed the complaint BUT staff told me....well, you shouldn't leave money out of the safe...WOW I was in shock that you get answer like that in an upscale hotel like that.
Last issue I had, we purchased some souvenir that had to be frozen and unfortunately there is no refrigitator in the room (well, there is but you cannot used because is loaded with their stuff and sensors that if you lift it...they charge it to your credit card even if you don't consume it....) anyways, I gave my souvenir to the restaurant manager who gave it to the chef and was going to keep it for me until my departure...well, guess what...that day came, I went to pick up my package and all gone...nobody knew anything...again, I got an oh well from the staff,

Dolphin Cay was really cool, we pay over $500 for 4 of us and is a neat experience BUT no cameras allow and of course they sell you their photo package for $469 :(

My best advise....spend half of the money and you'll have a blast in Cancun or Punta Cana in Dominican Republic.

Oh I forgot to mention....you go to the Gym, you pay, you go to sneeze you pay, you flush the toilet you pay....almost like that.

9 Thank Erica O
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Beautiful water and beach at this HUGE resort. I had the opportunity to visit during a work conference and, although my husband and I prefer smaller intimate properties, we did enjoy our stay here. The pools are lovely, the beach and water are beautiful, and the service on site as well as in Nassau is great - super friendly locals. We really enjoyed walking along the docks admiring the yachts. The only complaint I have of our Royal Tower room is that it did not have a real balcony. It had a breathtaking view and sliding glass doors with a railing but the railing was right up against the windows so we could only fit the front two legs of ONE chair "outside." It would've been great to be able to sit outside with morning coffee and take in the breeze. Loved seeing the cruise ships depart at night. Straw Market tip - go on a day that is not a "big cruise ship" day. We went when all the big ships were in and it was very crowded while the next day was fine because the ships were gone. The best meal we had was right over the bridge in Nassau at McKensey's, one of the little outdoor vedors right by the water. We sat on picnic tables with the locals and had fabulous Conch & Rice and the freshest most delicicious Conch Salad known to man.

Room Tip: Great views facing the port area where the cruise ships dock. Ask for a room with a REAL balcony tha...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
0.4 km away
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
0.0 km away
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,495 reviews
0.2 km away
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
7.9 km away
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to Atlantis, Royal Towers, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!