7,233 results
All reviews royal towers water slides west tower meal plan lazy river dolphin cay per person family vacation marina village bimini road marine life dining plan rapid river leap of faith a lot of fun seafire steakhouse bahamian club
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Rooms are old Holiday Inn at best. Worn carpets. I had no bath mat and 1 towel in a King room. There was no toilet paper roller.-Just an extra roll on a pipe in the corner.

1-Star for the fun water park and the Starbucks coffee in my room.

Food and drinks are outrageously expensive.

I only stay here because my employer makes me while here on business.

I would never, ever bring my family here. My advice is to go on a cruise.-All inclusive. Thank me later.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
6  Thank Brian P
Reviewed April 4, 2018

If I could give this hotel zero stars, I would. This was by far my worst experience staying in a hotel, which was surprising given the price.

First off, when we arrived at the hotel and checked in it took us a good 25 minutes to find our room. The staff was unfriendly and kept redirecting us in circles. Our room was on the first floor in a "villa" deep in the garden and was off to the side of a building facing another building (we paid for a full balcony or patio with water views), it felt less safe than a high rise hotel with security and a front desk which is what we thought we were purchasing. When we opened the door it smelled of weed and staleness, like the room hasn't had fresh air in years. The room was underwhelming to say the least - there was dirt and mold in the shower and it had dated tile floors. We tried to make it work but when we returned to the room in the afternoon again it smelled like marijuana, so we went to the front desk to get our room switched.

We were moved to the 8th floor and absolute last corner of the hotel facing the loading dock. Again the room was underwhelming, outdated, and dank but better than the previous one. After spending the day at the pool (which was wrought and overrun with children, cruise ship vacationers, and day pass visitors) when we returned to our room at 6:30 pm it wasn't cleaned. We called down to the front desk and it took over an hour for someone to come up. The front desk was dismissive, when we explained our room wasn't cleaned and their immediate response was "did you have a do not disturb sign on?" No. It took repeated phone calls to the front desk/housekeeping for someone to come clean, and we ended up missing our dinner reservations that evening.

Fast forward to the following day - we returned from the pool to find a condom wrapper on the nightstand that was NOT ours. It was disgusting and a health concern. We reached out to the front desk and it was a two and a half hour ordeal of being transferred to other departments. Finally someone came and did an "investigation" followed by changing our sheets.

We ended up packing our bags and walking next door to Riu, it was the best decision we made the whole trip. We asked for a phone number to follow-up with the manager regarding the "investigation" and the front desk refused to give us any contact information or a name. Finally, they gave us the quality insurance number (888-847-3299) which at the name of this writing has not been working for the past five days. Every time we call the hotel or booking agency we are given the run around.

Big picture:
- The staff is rude, unfriendly, and not helpful
- The room is overpriced and poor quality
- Too many kids / cruise people

Do not stay here!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank 814daniellem
Reviewed April 3, 2018

My husband and two boys (ages 6 and 8) stayed here for 4 days on our way to Exuma over Easter. It was the first time we had gone as a family and our main motivation was to let the kids enjoy water slides and animal encounters before heading to the sleepier island of Exuma. It was overcrowded (cruise ship passengers can purchase day passes for the waterpark) and chaotic trying to keep track of my children. If you didn't camp out to get a pool chair early in the morning you might not get one at all, at least not one close to where your child is playing. I found myself standing and following them around the entire time and didn't get to relax and enjoy my vacation until after we left and went to Exuma. The staff at the water park, hotel, and animal encounters desk are less than helpful. They made me feel like they were doing me a favor for providing what I paid for. One waitress at Frankie Gone Bananas was so unpleasant and rude that we ended up using her assistant/food runner for most of our needs and he gave a knowing smile and commented that she is "always like that" when we mentioned we were sorry we kept bothering him. When we arrived for "Rise & Shine" with the Dolphins we walked into the main area where 4 women/staff were standing at computers, none of them helping other guests. After a minute to two, one finally called out "How can I help?" without so much as looking up from her screen or breaking a smile. She was less than helpful in telling us where to go and in fact told us the wrong location to meet our group. By the time we sorted it out we had already missed the first 10min of the encounter (no apology was made, no offer to repeat the beginning portion or issue us a credit for the fee). The dolphin trainer himself was quite friendly and personable and was great with the kids. He was probably the best staff member we encountered at the resort. I wish I could remember his name, but my understanding is that he is the lead trainer and he did our program with the dolphins named Tracy and Nami.

I hate to sound like a spoiled brat, but I was so underwhelmed by the resort as a whole (especially given how much everything cost), that I couldn't wait to leave and go to the next portion of our vacation. It wasn't until we reached our hotel on Exuma that I took a sigh of relief and actually felt like I was on vacation.

One last comment- the day we checked in the bathroom had no towels except for 2 hand towels. We didn't realize this until I was in the shower with my two boys washing up. When my husband called it took nearly 45 minutes for the towels to arrive, even though he explained we were in the shower, waiting and freezing... and that it wasn't that we'd already used up our towels, but that we didn't have any to begin with.

6  Thank UpscaleTaste
Sydney E, Manager at The Royal at Atlantis, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2018

Hi UpscaleTaste,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Royal, following your visit to Atlantis, Paradise Island. We are happy to hear that you had a fantastic time with our Lead Behaviorist at Dolphin Cay and some of the on-property experiences, but are disappointed to hear about some of the service issues you had during the stay. We would love to have you get in touch with us, so that we can address this with one of The Royal's Executive Operations team members. It is important to get your perspective and feedback, so that we can continue to improve as a resort and ensure we rectify the issues. At your convenience, kindly reach out to Sydney.Engel@atlantisparadise.com, who will loop you in with our Executives.

- Atlantis Management Team

Reviewed April 2, 2018

I'm back! In March 2016, I wrote a long review about The Atlantis (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147417-d507175-r346000355-Atlantis_Royal_Towers_Autograph_Collection-Paradise_Island_New_Providence_Island_.html#REVIEWS) and my experience there. I returned again in 2017 and in March, 2018 and thought it was time for an updated review. If you have the time, you should probably read the 2016 review. It will give you some important insights and backgrounds... and much of that review still pertains to the current environment.

Anyway, once again, before heading to the Atlantis, we checked out some recent reviews so that we'd know what to expect. As before, several reviews had negative things to say (including "staff wasn't friendly" and, for the first time, there were comments about personal items being taken from the pool areas, in the water park). Of course, we were concerned about both.

We returned home on Monday, March 26, 2018... here's a review of our 4-day stay: A couple of "disclaimers": Once again, we were invited to the Atlantis as part of a casino promotion. Because of that, we decided to treat ourselves to a Suite Upgrade in the Royal Towers. Also, unlike previous stays, this visit had absolutely weather (full sun and 80 degrees all 4 days).

OK, here goes: Our arrival to the property was terrific. When our transport arrived at the Royal Towers, we were immediately greeted and our bags were carried to the check-in (we were able to check in at the Sun Lounge... which is separate from the main check-in). Our room was ready and we were checked in very quickly. On previous visits, Our bags went from the transport to a bell man to someone who brought them up to our room. That's not our preference. Our bags are pretty small and on wheels and there's no need to wait in the room for them to be brought up (and, yet another tip). This time, we were asked if we wanted to bring the bags up by ourselves... I liked that. We were changed and swimming within a few minutes after we arrived.

Our room (Suite) was in good shape. I had read that the rooms were getting old and things weren't functioning. That was certainly NOT the case in our room. Everything worked properly. It wasn't especially hot, but the air conditioner kept the room cool and comfortable the entire time. There was some "clunking" each time the compressor kicked in, but it wasn't too loud and didn't impact our ability to sleep. The room was serviced very well, throughout our stay. I found the bed to be quite comfortable, but my wife said it made her a little achy, when she woke up. The wireless internet is just "ok"... you won't break any speed records, but it was functional. Our room offered a wired connection (I always bring an Ethernet cord when I travel), and that was significantly better. I was concerned, being on a high floor, that there would be long waits for the elevator. That was not the case. At no point did we wait a long time to go down and there was ALWAYS an elevator waiting at the lobby to go up.

The Food: Once again, I want to remind you that this isn't a good place to go on a small food budget. Food in the Bahamas is expensive... and, even more so, at the Atlantis. I'll try to give you some averages: There are really 4 price tiers for food. The higher-priced venues (Bahamian Club, Casa D'Angelo, Cafe Martinique, Olives and Seafire Steakhouse) are going cause some "sticker shock." We typically split a bottle of wine at dinner, so we expect to spend ~$210 for two people, PLUS tax and tip (VAT Sales Tax is 7.5% and a 15% Gratuity is automatically added to all meals... we added some extra gratuities when we received exceptional service). That brings the dinner cost, for two people, to $250 - $270. The meals were good and the service was excellent, but that's pretty steep. I saw many families with kids (ages 10-15). I didn't see a children's menu, so their checks must have been very high. Something to think about: The main course entrees were always quite large. If you aren't a big eater, you might consider splitting an entree (the Veal Parmigiana at Casa D'Angelo and the larger Filet at Bahamian Club could easily satisfy two adults). That would dramatically reduce the total check amount. The next tier is still expensive, but more reasonable (Carmine's Italian, Virgil's BBQ, Poseidon Buffet). Virgil's and Carmine's serve "family style" dishes, meant to be split with everyone at the table. The food is very good and upscale, but less expensive than the top tier venues. The next tier is Murray's Deli, Frankie Gone Bananas and others. They offer truly casual fare at a fair price (but still more expensive than what you'd expect at comparable restaurants in the U.S. - no 2 for $20 like you could get at Chili's or Applebee's). The lowest price tier is a great choice for lunches and simple dinners (outdoor venues at the water park offer combo meals for $9-$12... very good value). There's Marina Pizza and Village Burger Shack. You'll find the food good and the portions very good... and it won't break the bank.

This trip, we noticed that the staff went out of their way to greet us every time we passed one of them. That's the way it was, when the Atlantis first opened, but that service level seemed gone in recent years. It was great to see it return (we guessed that Baha Mar's competition is forcing the Atlantis to "up its game").

So, if it sounds like everything was perfect, that's not the case. There were some issues: On 2 of the 4 days we were there, they ran out of towels at the waterpark. That shouldn't happen. Yes, the occupancy was pretty high the weekend we were there, but they have to improve on that... it was tough to get out of the water without a towel.

The worst part of our trip was the Front Desk experience caused by the fact that, every night, our key cards would fail to open the doors (for both my wife and I). On my last night, I went up to the room, long after my wife was asleep. Sure enough, the card didn't work for the 4th consecutive night (i found out later that my wife's card didn't work that night either). Each time we went to the front desk to get new cards, we told the front desk staff that it was a recurring problem. Nobody did anything about it throughout our stay. On the last night, they made two new keys, BUT those didn't work either. At my second trip to the front desk, they made another key, BUT also told Security to meet me up there, to open the room. I specifically asked the clerks, what I should do if this newest key actually worked. How will Security know that I got into the room? They told me that if I got in and wasn't there when Security arrived, they'd know I got in. Well, the key worked. I double-locked the door and illuminated the "Do Not Disturb" light and prepared for bed. 10 minutes after I got into the room, our phone rang AT 2:45am, from Security asking where I was. The call awakened my wife from a sound sleep (who heard that it was Security and thought something had happened to me), before I could get out of the bathroom to pick up the phone and tell them I was already in the room (and tell my wife that I was fine). What was the point of the call? If I were still locked out, I couldn't have answered the phone and if I were inside, the issue was solved. I was very angry. I called the operator to voice my complaint to the front desk but she said she could only call the back office of the front desk and that nobody was answering the call. Overall, for a first class resort, the way this was handled, for our entire stay, was very low class. It definitely put a damper on our last night.

Also, the Casino was disappointing. We spend a lot of time playing there, each night. Our favorite game is "video poker" and the Atlantis is terrible for video poker. They don't have enough machines and almost none of the game variations we like to play. I don't expect high paybacks in the Bahamas, but I want to play the games I like (if they had a better casino experience, we'd go back several times a year).

Finally, check out was fast and easy. I always warn people to check their bills carefully when checking out... there were always errors. NOT THIS TIME. Our bill was perfect. What a relief! I even asked them to charge my bill to a different credit card than the one I used at check-in and they made the change very quickly, without issue.

Overall, this was a very good stay. I hope this very long and detailed review will be helpful to you.

Room tip: If you can get your room choice in the East Tower, that's better. The West Tower isn't connected to the main lobby/casino/Marina Village.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Philip S
Reviewed April 2, 2018

Overall my family of four (two adults, 2.5 year old and 9 month old) had a great time. We would definitely go back, but probably when my kids are both over 3 since that was the minimum age for most kids activities. I would even stay at the Royal again, though would consider the Cove next time depending on cost.

Hotel: As other travelers have noted, the Royal is a bit tired and could use a facelift. The room was a good size, and my biggest complaint was the cleanliness. I noticed that the top sheets were not changed every day, and the bathroom was never cleaned very well. They also only gave me three towels every day even though there were four of us staying in the room. A couple things weren't working well the first day we were there, but guest services promptly sent someone to fix them. The Royal is at the center of the resort, so it's a great base location and very family friendly.

Service: Generally friendly, but any time I had a question or something went wrong, I got a lot of attitude. The expectation seemed to be that I was at fault or doing something wrong rather than the other way around. For instance, I booked the Shallow Water Dolphin Experience for my family since it was one of the few activities you can do with kids under 3 (see below for details). When we arrived at our scheduled time, the person at the registration desk gave me a lot of flack for having 2 instead of 4 people on my reservation (the kids go free with a paid adult). I had booked it over the phone a couple weeks before our visit and specifically had told the person booking the reservation that I would have the kids with me. She told me I was told we were set for four of us, so I had no idea whether or not the reservation reflected two paid people or four. How was I to know what they needed on their end? The girl made me reschedule for another time. It actually worked out better for us schedule-wise, but her attitude was very off-putting.

Food: We're picky eaters so we didn't bother with the meal plan. As expected, the quality was not good and the prices were outrageous. For instance, a cup of black coffee was nearly $4. Unfortunately I did not learn until the last morning we were there that there is a Dunkin Donuts across the street from the resort where I could get better coffee for less than half the price. The restaurants in Marina Village were better. I recommend the pizza place and the Village Burger Bar in that area.

Photos: Atlantis needs to get some tips from Disney on how to make the photo experience seamless. Not only were photo prices extortionate, the technology is very outdated in the era of the smartphone. Since I wanted our pictures with the Easter Bunny and with the dolphins for the memories, I paid over $100 for digital files of 11 pictures. When I got home I could only access 3 of them. Resolution is still pending as of this review. The Dolphin pictures were especially annoying.

Taxi: Sandra's Taxi Service was excellent, and I would highly recommend this company. I prearranged my transportation from the airport in advance ($55 each way), and I was able to get two car seats, a baby seat and a bucket seat at no extra charge. The drivers were very friendly, and they even accommodated a last minute change in my return flight that required shifting my pick up time from 9am to 4am(!).

• Trip type: Travelled with family