The Royal at Atlantis, Autograph Collection
  • Restaurant
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
6,706 results
All reviewsroyal towerswater parkwest towermeal planlazy riverdolphin cayper personmarina villagebimini roadmarine lifefamily vacationdining planleap of faithjohnny rocketsrapid riverseafire steakhouseonce in a lifetime
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Rooms are old Holiday Inn at best. Worn carpets. I had no bath mat and 1 towel in a King room. There was no toilet paper roller.-Just an extra roll on a pipe in the corner.

1-Star for the fun water park and the Starbucks coffee in my room.

Food and drinks are outrageously expensive.

I only stay here because my employer makes me while here on business.

I would never, ever bring my family here. My advice is to go on a cruise.-All inclusive. Thank me later.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
5  Thank Brian P
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If I could give this hotel zero stars, I would. This was by far my worst experience staying in a hotel, which was surprising given the price.

First off, when we arrived at the hotel and checked in it took us a good 25 minutes to find our room. The staff was unfriendly and kept redirecting us in circles. Our room was on the first floor in a "villa" deep in the garden and was off to the side of a building facing another building (we paid for a full balcony or patio with water views), it felt less safe than a high rise hotel with security and a front desk which is what we thought we were purchasing. When we opened the door it smelled of weed and staleness, like the room hasn't had fresh air in years. The room was underwhelming to say the least - there was dirt and mold in the shower and it had dated tile floors. We tried to make it work but when we returned to the room in the afternoon again it smelled like marijuana, so we went to the front desk to get our room switched.

We were moved to the 8th floor and absolute last corner of the hotel facing the loading dock. Again the room was underwhelming, outdated, and dank but better than the previous one. After spending the day at the pool (which was wrought and overrun with children, cruise ship vacationers, and day pass visitors) when we returned to our room at 6:30 pm it wasn't cleaned. We called down to the front desk and it took over an hour for someone to come up. The front desk was dismissive, when we explained our room wasn't cleaned and their immediate response was "did you have a do not disturb sign on?" No. It took repeated phone calls to the front desk/housekeeping for someone to come clean, and we ended up missing our dinner reservations that evening.

Fast forward to the following day - we returned from the pool to find a condom wrapper on the nightstand that was NOT ours. It was disgusting and a health concern. We reached out to the front desk and it was a two and a half hour ordeal of being transferred to other departments. Finally someone came and did an "investigation" followed by changing our sheets.

We ended up packing our bags and walking next door to Riu, it was the best decision we made the whole trip. We asked for a phone number to follow-up with the manager regarding the "investigation" and the front desk refused to give us any contact information or a name. Finally, they gave us the quality insurance number (888-847-3299) which at the name of this writing has not been working for the past five days. Every time we call the hotel or booking agency we are given the run around.

Big picture:
- The staff is rude, unfriendly, and not helpful
- The room is overpriced and poor quality
- Too many kids / cruise people

Do not stay here!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank djmanci
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This place is expensive. Very expensive. Read some of the other reviews. My issue was with the service and attitude of the staff.

Let’s start with when we checked in. The woman had a king room for us. She saw my wife and two kids and asked if that would work. I said no and that I paid extra to reserve a room with two queens. She looked at my paperwork and realized that they had made a mistake. She left for 5 minutes or so and came back with a 2 queen room. She even gave me a $50 credit for the inconvenience. So far, not a big deal and I did appreciate the $50. She checked the system and it showed that our room had been cleaned. So we gathered our luggage and headed up to our room for our 6 night stay at the amazing Atlantis. When we got to our room, the door was ajar due to the safety lock being in the way of the door closing. I looked in the room and immediately thought someone was still staying in there because it had not been cleaned. There was food on the TV stand and table, full coffee cups, sheets and pillows strewn across the room, and worst of all, a bloody towel was on the bathroom floor. My family (8 and 11 year old girls and wife) decided to go explore while I waited for housekeeping. 45 minutes later, Cheryl showed up to clean our room. She said that the housekeeping manager was on her way up to meet with me. She was very nice and did a great job all the while asking for the location of the housekeeping manager. 20 minutes later, the housekeeping manager showed up. She was very apologetic and said that she was sending an email to the front desk and that I should go down there and discuss compensation. So I did. I approached the front desk clerk and told her that the housekeeping manager asked me to come down and talk to them about compensation. She said “What do you mean compensation!” in a very condescending tone. I told her that the housekeeping manager whose name starts with an M said she was sending an email down and directed me to talk to them about “compensation”. She said that she did not have an email. I asked to speak to the manager and she obliged. I explained the situation to him and he said that he was going to give me a credit to my account. I did not ask for any details – it turned out to be $100 credit. I was not too worried about the money at that point, but since it was a huge inconvenience for us and took up a few hours of our vacation time, I was good with it. What I was not good with was the tone of the staff at the front desk. Rude and just gave you a feeling that they don’t care and they would rather be anywhere else.

The next day we went down to the waterpark. They did not have towels for us. I asked them how long until they had towels. I got a very rude “I don’t know, when they get here.” Thank you for being carppy. 30 minutes later, towels showed up and a huge line formed to get them. This is a water park, get some towels for crying out loud. And how about being nice when you can’t fulfill the one fundamental thing that you are there to do.

The next day, my kids went to the kids club to make Candy Sushi which consisted of Rice Krispy treats and gummy tape. Both of which have gelatin which is made from pig. My kids are vegetarian and could not eat it. That was not the problem. My kids understand that not everyplace can accommodate them all of the time. The staff asked why they were not eating their candy. My kids told them that they could not eat either thing because they had gelatin in them and gelatin is made from pigs. The staff proceeded to tell them that meat was good for them and yummy and they should try it. You have got to be kidding me. I mentioned this to the on duty manager later in the trip when we had issues in our room. He refunded our money for the candy making session. I appreciated that, but it did not make my kids feel any better.

We saw a roach in our room that night. To my surprise, my wife did not freak out and said that it was probably some tropical bug and it is to be expected in the tropics.

The next night, my kids and wife took baths - separately. No water spilled out of the tub, yet the floor by the bathroom was soaking wet. Further investigation yielded a soaking wet floor outside our room in the hallway. I immediately called the “Rapid Response Team” which is a hilarious name because nothing happens rapidly at Atlantis. I told them that we had some kind of major water leak and that our room and the hallway outside of our room were soaked. They said that someone would be up immediately. This was around 11:15 PM. My kids were tired and wanted to go to sleep. At midnight after no one showed up to help, I called again. They told me that they were on their way and would be there shortly. I called a third time around 12:45 and spoke with the manager (Qadry – probably misspelled). He was very apologetic and helpful – honestly the only person from guest services that was that way the entire trip. He told us that it would be best for us to switch rooms and that he would get it set up for an early cleaning so we could get in quickly. He told me to go to the front desk in the morning to get our new room keys. At 1:20 AM, housekeeping showed up with towels waking my kids up. We also saw a second huge roach in our room. This time it was not okay with my wife so we were happy we were switching rooms.

The next morning around 9AM, I went to the front desk and told them my situation. The man on duty told me to come back around 3PM. This was okay since we were going to the water park anyway. We had dinner reservations at 5:30 though and needed to get moved at 3 to be ready for dinner. At 3PM, I went back to the front desk as instructed to get the new keys. I was met by a rude woman who told me that the room was not ready yet and I would have to come back at 4PM. I told her that I need the room now so we could make dinner and that I was told it would be ready by 3. She said that doesn’t matter and that it is only guaranteed by 4 and that I would have to come back. I asked for the manager. I explained my situation and he huddled with the woman and then after 3 minutes said, ok, we found you a room, the bellman will meet you upstairs with your new keys and get you moved. Why did that have to be so terrible? Does anyone at this place have an understanding of what pleasant customer SERVICE is?

Once in the new room (which was the exact same but a much nicer view – we appreciated that), I called down to get a refrigerator like the one we had in our old room. She told me that it would cost an extra $16 a day. I told her that we had one in our old room and we were not charged for it. She said that we would have to pay $16 a day. I said no thank you and hung up. I called back and explained the situation to the next “Rapid Response Team” member and told her that they must have given it to us because of all o the issues we had. She said that she would get a refrigerator up to us ASAP. No fridge ever showed up for the remainder of our stay – I just gave up trying to get one at that point.

The next night, we dropped the kids at Kids club, which they enjoyed, and went to the Village Burger Shack. Our burgers (veggie burger for my wife which she drowns in dill pickles) had sweet pickles on them. They were supposed to have dill. We asked the waiter for dill. He said, “We are out of dill pickles, that is why you have sweet on your burgers.” What? They are not even close to the same. I should have asked for my money back and left. Instead we choked about half of the burgers down and left the rest.

The next morning, we had some adventures planned at Dolphin Cay. We needed to leave the room by 9:45 to get there in time. We ordered room service at 8:15 and they said that it would take 45 minutes or less. At 9:40, 40 minutes later than told, I called and canceled my order. No breakfast for us.

After the Dolphin Cay adventures, which the kids loved, my wife was going to buy pictures. The picture guy forgot his password. Then he couldn’t figure out the package options and basically told my wife that she had to buy all of the pictures for $170. What? My wife was just so exasperated at that point that she just did it. Ridiculous.

Spent the first 4 days riding rides all throughout the park without a wristband – just showed our room key. On the 5th day, the ride attendant said we needed a wristband. Ugh, okay, let me put my raft down that I lugged up all of these stairs to go down and get a wristband. Got to the towel hut and he was out of wristbands. And he was very rude about it. Seriously? So frustrating. This vacation sucks. Went back up on the ride with a second raft and when we got to the drop slide, the ride attendant was asleep. Had to bang on the channel wall to wake her up. I can’t make this stuff up.

That brings us to checkout. I asked the woman (same woman that checked us in) if I could link my Marriott Rewards number to the account because I could not figure it out when I reserved the room. She asked what my number was. I told her that I needed her to look it up because I did not have it handy – just like I have done before at other Marriott hotels with no issue. She said “No. I cannot look it up.” I said “What do you mean no?” She said “I can’t look it up.” I asked if I could link it to my number after I got back to the states? She said “Probably not.” Handed me my folio and said have a nice day.

So many other things happened that I wanted to talk to a Manager about but at that point was just so upset and disappointed that I just quit. Not to mention the spring break crowd there that was just unruly as hell. Security did nothing about them. And the wave-runner guys that were taking girls out to the small islands and assaulting them – that note in our room was a nice touch for my 8 and 11 year old girl to get a hold of before we got to it. Thanks. They were scared to go to the beach after that.

Marriott should either fix that place or sell it because it is giving them a bad reputation. I am not the only one who feels this way either. Most of the folks we talked to on that trip were also very disappointed in the accommodations and especially the service. The workers there simply don’t care about their jobs.

I sent a letter to Marriott and the response I got from Atlantis Quality Assurance was 40,000 points. This would cover one night stay somewhere. Thanks alot.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Take a day trip to the waterpark.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
15  Thank Scott H
Sydney E, Manager at The Royal at Atlantis, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Scott S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach out to the Atlantis Management Team, following your visit to The Royal. We are very disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations, and we'd love to be able to speak with you further to address the service issues you had on-property. It is very important to us that our guests have a positive experience from start to finish, so at your convenience kindly reach out to Sydney.Engel@atlantisparadise.com, who will ensure you are put in touch with the appropriate Operations Executive on-property. We'd love to be able to welcome you back again in the future, for an exciting and positive stay.

- Atlantis Management Team

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and two boys (ages 6 and 8) stayed here for 4 days on our way to Exuma over Easter. It was the first time we had gone as a family and our main motivation was to let the kids enjoy water slides and animal encounters before heading to the sleepier island of Exuma. It was overcrowded (cruise ship passengers can purchase day passes for the waterpark) and chaotic trying to keep track of my children. If you didn't camp out to get a pool chair early in the morning you might not get one at all, at least not one close to where your child is playing. I found myself standing and following them around the entire time and didn't get to relax and enjoy my vacation until after we left and went to Exuma. The staff at the water park, hotel, and animal encounters desk are less than helpful. They made me feel like they were doing me a favor for providing what I paid for. One waitress at Frankie Gone Bananas was so unpleasant and rude that we ended up using her assistant/food runner for most of our needs and he gave a knowing smile and commented that she is "always like that" when we mentioned we were sorry we kept bothering him. When we arrived for "Rise & Shine" with the Dolphins we walked into the main area where 4 women/staff were standing at computers, none of them helping other guests. After a minute to two, one finally called out "How can I help?" without so much as looking up from her screen or breaking a smile. She was less than helpful in telling us where to go and in fact told us the wrong location to meet our group. By the time we sorted it out we had already missed the first 10min of the encounter (no apology was made, no offer to repeat the beginning portion or issue us a credit for the fee). The dolphin trainer himself was quite friendly and personable and was great with the kids. He was probably the best staff member we encountered at the resort. I wish I could remember his name, but my understanding is that he is the lead trainer and he did our program with the dolphins named Tracy and Nami.

I hate to sound like a spoiled brat, but I was so underwhelmed by the resort as a whole (especially given how much everything cost), that I couldn't wait to leave and go to the next portion of our vacation. It wasn't until we reached our hotel on Exuma that I took a sigh of relief and actually felt like I was on vacation.

One last comment- the day we checked in the bathroom had no towels except for 2 hand towels. We didn't realize this until I was in the shower with my two boys washing up. When my husband called it took nearly 45 minutes for the towels to arrive, even though he explained we were in the shower, waiting and freezing... and that it wasn't that we'd already used up our towels, but that we didn't have any to begin with.

Stayed: March 2018
5  Thank UpscaleTaste

Hi UpscaleTaste,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Royal, following your visit to Atlantis, Paradise Island. We are happy to hear that you had a fantastic time with our Lead Behaviorist at Dolphin Cay and some of the on-property experiences, but are disappointed to hear about some of the service issues you had during the stay. We would love to have you get in touch with us, so that we can address this with one of The Royal's Executive Operations team members. It is important to get your perspective and feedback, so that we can continue to improve as a resort and ensure we rectify the issues. At your convenience, kindly reach out to Sydney.Engel@atlantisparadise.com, who will loop you in with our Executives.

- Atlantis Management Team

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I'm back! In March 2016, I wrote a long review about The Atlantis (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147417-d507175-r346000355-Atlantis_Royal_Towers_Autograph_Collection-Paradise_Island_New_Providence_Island_.html#REVIEWS) and my experience there. I returned again in 2017 and in March, 2018 and thought it was time for an updated review. If you have the time, you should probably read the 2016 review. It will give you some important insights and backgrounds... and much of that review still pertains to the current environment.

Anyway, once again, before heading to the Atlantis, we checked out some recent reviews so that we'd know what to expect. As before, several reviews had negative things to say (including "staff wasn't friendly" and, for the first time, there were comments about personal items being taken from the pool areas, in the water park). Of course, we were concerned about both.

We returned home on Monday, March 26, 2018... here's a review of our 4-day stay: A couple of "disclaimers": Once again, we were invited to the Atlantis as part of a casino promotion. Because of that, we decided to treat ourselves to a Suite Upgrade in the Royal Towers. Also, unlike previous stays, this visit had absolutely weather (full sun and 80 degrees all 4 days).

OK, here goes: Our arrival to the property was terrific. When our transport arrived at the Royal Towers, we were immediately greeted and our bags were carried to the check-in (we were able to check in at the Sun Lounge... which is separate from the main check-in). Our room was ready and we were checked in very quickly. On previous visits, Our bags went from the transport to a bell man to someone who brought them up to our room. That's not our preference. Our bags are pretty small and on wheels and there's no need to wait in the room for them to be brought up (and, yet another tip). This time, we were asked if we wanted to bring the bags up by ourselves... I liked that. We were changed and swimming within a few minutes after we arrived.

Our room (Suite) was in good shape. I had read that the rooms were getting old and things weren't functioning. That was certainly NOT the case in our room. Everything worked properly. It wasn't especially hot, but the air conditioner kept the room cool and comfortable the entire time. There was some "clunking" each time the compressor kicked in, but it wasn't too loud and didn't impact our ability to sleep. The room was serviced very well, throughout our stay. I found the bed to be quite comfortable, but my wife said it made her a little achy, when she woke up. The wireless internet is just "ok"... you won't break any speed records, but it was functional. Our room offered a wired connection (I always bring an Ethernet cord when I travel), and that was significantly better. I was concerned, being on a high floor, that there would be long waits for the elevator. That was not the case. At no point did we wait a long time to go down and there was ALWAYS an elevator waiting at the lobby to go up.

The Food: Once again, I want to remind you that this isn't a good place to go on a small food budget. Food in the Bahamas is expensive... and, even more so, at the Atlantis. I'll try to give you some averages: There are really 4 price tiers for food. The higher-priced venues (Bahamian Club, Casa D'Angelo, Cafe Martinique, Olives and Seafire Steakhouse) are going cause some "sticker shock." We typically split a bottle of wine at dinner, so we expect to spend ~$210 for two people, PLUS tax and tip (VAT Sales Tax is 7.5% and a 15% Gratuity is automatically added to all meals... we added some extra gratuities when we received exceptional service). That brings the dinner cost, for two people, to $250 - $270. The meals were good and the service was excellent, but that's pretty steep. I saw many families with kids (ages 10-15). I didn't see a children's menu, so their checks must have been very high. Something to think about: The main course entrees were always quite large. If you aren't a big eater, you might consider splitting an entree (the Veal Parmigiana at Casa D'Angelo and the larger Filet at Bahamian Club could easily satisfy two adults). That would dramatically reduce the total check amount. The next tier is still expensive, but more reasonable (Carmine's Italian, Virgil's BBQ, Poseidon Buffet). Virgil's and Carmine's serve "family style" dishes, meant to be split with everyone at the table. The food is very good and upscale, but less expensive than the top tier venues. The next tier is Murray's Deli, Frankie Gone Bananas and others. They offer truly casual fare at a fair price (but still more expensive than what you'd expect at comparable restaurants in the U.S. - no 2 for $20 like you could get at Chili's or Applebee's). The lowest price tier is a great choice for lunches and simple dinners (outdoor venues at the water park offer combo meals for $9-$12... very good value). There's Marina Pizza and Village Burger Shack. You'll find the food good and the portions very good... and it won't break the bank.

This trip, we noticed that the staff went out of their way to greet us every time we passed one of them. That's the way it was, when the Atlantis first opened, but that service level seemed gone in recent years. It was great to see it return (we guessed that Baha Mar's competition is forcing the Atlantis to "up its game").

So, if it sounds like everything was perfect, that's not the case. There were some issues: On 2 of the 4 days we were there, they ran out of towels at the waterpark. That shouldn't happen. Yes, the occupancy was pretty high the weekend we were there, but they have to improve on that... it was tough to get out of the water without a towel.

The worst part of our trip was the Front Desk experience caused by the fact that, every night, our key cards would fail to open the doors (for both my wife and I). On my last night, I went up to the room, long after my wife was asleep. Sure enough, the card didn't work for the 4th consecutive night (i found out later that my wife's card didn't work that night either). Each time we went to the front desk to get new cards, we told the front desk staff that it was a recurring problem. Nobody did anything about it throughout our stay. On the last night, they made two new keys, BUT those didn't work either. At my second trip to the front desk, they made another key, BUT also told Security to meet me up there, to open the room. I specifically asked the clerks, what I should do if this newest key actually worked. How will Security know that I got into the room? They told me that if I got in and wasn't there when Security arrived, they'd know I got in. Well, the key worked. I double-locked the door and illuminated the "Do Not Disturb" light and prepared for bed. 10 minutes after I got into the room, our phone rang AT 2:45am, from Security asking where I was. The call awakened my wife from a sound sleep (who heard that it was Security and thought something had happened to me), before I could get out of the bathroom to pick up the phone and tell them I was already in the room (and tell my wife that I was fine). What was the point of the call? If I were still locked out, I couldn't have answered the phone and if I were inside, the issue was solved. I was very angry. I called the operator to voice my complaint to the front desk but she said she could only call the back office of the front desk and that nobody was answering the call. Overall, for a first class resort, the way this was handled, for our entire stay, was very low class. It definitely put a damper on our last night.

Also, the Casino was disappointing. We spend a lot of time playing there, each night. Our favorite game is "video poker" and the Atlantis is terrible for video poker. They don't have enough machines and almost none of the game variations we like to play. I don't expect high paybacks in the Bahamas, but I want to play the games I like (if they had a better casino experience, we'd go back several times a year).

Finally, check out was fast and easy. I always warn people to check their bills carefully when checking out... there were always errors. NOT THIS TIME. Our bill was perfect. What a relief! I even asked them to charge my bill to a different credit card than the one I used at check-in and they made the change very quickly, without issue.

Overall, this was a very good stay. I hope this very long and detailed review will be helpful to you.

Room Tip: If you can get your room choice in the East Tower, that's better. The West Tower isn't connected to the main lobby/casino/Marina Village.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple