New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice, but $$$$$”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We just returned from 5 nights at the Reef, Atlantis. Overall we had a great time and our 10 year old son LOVED it and all the adventures of the water park.
This was our second trip to Atlantis...the first one being 4 years ago and we stayed at the Cove. I think if I hadn't stayed at the Cove before, I would have liked the Reef better than I did. The Cove is Atlantis' flagship property with the highest prices and nicest rooms. The Reef is second but really not comparable in terms of quality of room. Don't get me wrong, the Reef is nice, very nice, just in comparison a bit of a disappointment. We had a few issues upon check in (fridge was not working, room not seemingly cleaned properly) so things started a bit roughly. The management ended up changing our room and giving us a small credit and some nice amenities. After that things turned around significantly and I felt as though the hotel was very accommodating to our needs. As everyone else on here states, the entire resort is expensive beyond belief! We knew that going, and that was one of the main reasons for choosing the Reef. We had a studio room with a fridge, microwave, small cooktop, dishwasher etc. We weren't planning on cooking elaborate meals but packed breakfast items and snacks and had breakfast every morning in the room, saving on the cost of going out. We didn't visit any of the very expensive restaurants (we tried but couldn't get a reservation) so overall our food expenditure was very low for a place like this. We had the taxi stop at a grocery store on the way from the airport and purchased milk and 2 cases of bottled water...a must if you want to drink bottled water. We also stopped at a liquor store for some beer and wine. The beach and pools at the reef are gorgeous. I loved walking on the beach every morning while my husband and son were waterparking-it. Although the Royal Towers is much more convenient to the waterpark, casino etc. I would not want to stay there, as it is much more of a Las Vegas type atmosphere. The Reef is much more quiet and peaceful. The staff everywhere (from the front desk to the men cleaning the seaweed off the beach) are amazingly nice and friendly and chatty. I was very pleased to see that, as that is not always the case. I think Atlantis is a great place to visit with children...if we were traveling without our son, this is not where I'd go, but it is worth a visit, knowing that you will overpay for everything. I tried not to think about that aspect of it and just enjoy the experience, which I did.

Room Tip: choose ocean view on high floor
9 Thank sueytraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
atl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Just got back from 4 days at the Reef in Atlantis with just my wife. This was a work sponsored trip so we were not paying which was nice because Atlantis is the most expensive place I think I have ever been…it is also one of the nicest so you feel like the prices are about right for the amazingness of the resort and setting.
Other than price the next things that jump out are how big the resort is and how much there is to do. We for the most part stayed around the Reef and at the adult only pool at the Cove but there are things for just about anyone at this resort which I think would make it great for Singles, Couples without kids, Couples with older kids and extended families with some of everything. I think would think twice about going with just small kids, 4 and younger because the size of the resort can be a bit daunting and they can’t do most of the things that separate Atlantis from some of the smaller Caribbean resorts.
If you are adults without kids and want a relaxing but more upbeat vacation the Cove pool is where you want to be. The pool area is very hip and high end with music that gets louder as the day rolls on. The food and drinks are great (not cheap) and the service could not have been better.
We had a 1br at the Reef that was very spacious and nice with a full kitchen (we did not use), separate bedroom and 2 full baths. We were on the 11th floor with a view of the harbor and less direct view of the ocean.
We ate dinner at Nobu and Bahamian Club at the resort and while they were good I would not say they lived up to the high expectations I had going in. The food at the Cove pool was great but again expensive. We also went into town to go to Greycliff’s which I really enjoyed based on the experience of being in an old house with a lot of great character, the food was good but it was the atmosphere that would get me to go back.
Lastly, the one thing I could not get over at Atlantis was how nice all of the employees were…it was some of the best and most friendly service I have ever received…it had the price tag to go along with it but I really felt you got what you paid for.

If you are looking for a quite beach trip away from it all Atlantis may not be the right place, but if you are looking for a high end vacation with lots to do and don’t mind spending the money I think you will be hard pressed to find a better spot.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank m_r_d_atl
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is our second visit to Atlantis and we enjoyed this location with its apartment style rooms and quite location was ideal. The pool was quiet on our visit and is private so the rest of the development will not be taking up space. One of the highlights of the location is its close proximity to Mesa Grill and the Mosaic Breakfast spot, two very good locations for meals. The room was comfortable and the fridge and appliances came in handy for quite snacks. I would choose this location on our next visit.

Room Tip: Views of the Ocean as always are preferred.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank PowertravelerIowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Like the lawyers say, "it depends".

If you are a relatively young couple with kids, and all of you have big appetites, then the meal plan could save you some $, but not much.

If you are an older couple with fussy kids (mine are vegetarian), there are three problems: You will spend more $ on the meal plan than you have to, and feel compelled to eat more than you want to. Alternatively, if you just like pizza and fast food, or just one gourmet meal per vacation, then the meal plan makes no sense at all.

There is a potential third problem: If you don't make reservations weeks in advance of your stay, you will get only late reservations at the ala carte restaurants if you get them at all. Hence, you are force to eat at the buffet restaurants, which will lose you more money with the meal plan.

My family had three 9 PM reservations, and couldn't get into La Mesa at all. Very annoying.

Room Tip: Save a lot of extra money for an ocean view room.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank Mfgreiff
Franklin Lakes, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

The Reef provided a perfect place to stay with my two teenagers. It is more quiet than The Royal Towers but it is all connected to every tower within the Atlantis property. Be prepared to pay big for food and beverages! There is a Starbucks in the lounge and my daughter would many times buy wraps there for lunch. The coolest thing is that we were able to store our luggage upon checkout , while using the pool/s
Ides all day. There is a Transit Lounge in the lobby where there are lockers and showers. We got cleaned up and went straight to the airport.

Room Tip: Ocean front is nice but Harborside rooms offer twinkling lights at night!
4 Thank Abasa
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

It’s the second time we come to Atlantis. First time was several years ago, and now we decided to return.
The place is amazing. If you don’t mind having vacation with a lot of people around, that’s the place.
Very well structured, but too many people, long lines to restaurants and cafes.
All the aquatic facilities are fabulous. You should go and swim with dolphins, great experience.
We stayed in a suite in the complex named the reef. Comfortable suite, well equipped, has a full kitchen.
If you like to be alone and meditate, this is not the place for you. The beach is crowded and so are the swimming pools, but the beauty of all the complexes worth it.

2 Thank meizmeiz
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

I had been here before and I thought everything was overpriced here. Knowing this , I booked another trip because the kids loved the pools and the rides. As I expected when you go to Atlantis , you will be paying for poor quality food at prices comparable to best restaurants in NYC. But honestly paying $27 for a tequila shot poolside guaranteed that I would never go back.

• Stayed December 2011
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,371 reviews
0.7 km away
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#10 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,502 reviews
0.2 km away
Atlantis, Coral Towers, Autograph Collection
8.2 km away
Melia Nassau Beach - All Inclusive

Been to The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!