“9 days of smart vacationing”

The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Paradise Island
Ann Arbor
“9 days of smart vacationing”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

From Michigan - family of 5 with 3 children, 16 - 14 -11
Called Atlantis - Found an owner that rented out his unit from March 30-April 7 for $300 a night
Drove to Toronto, Ontario and flew direct via westjet for $342 a person - checked bags free
Packed 1 large bag full of dry food, cans, snack bars, poptarts, etc
Utilized the Reef Owners driver for transportation to and from airport $60 each way
Stopped at Supermarket to load up on meat, cheese, milk, bread, beer, rum, punch - $250
Woke up - made breakfast - went down stairs every morning at 8:30 a.m. to put towels on beach chairs on beach...
worked out on the 2nd floor of the Reef as we were in an owners unit - no charge
brought sandwiches, snacks, fruit in a cooler bag - and rum, pineapple juice and beer in cooler
and sat on beach every mid morning til around 2, and slipped into pool a couple of times....
went to aquaventure, each day with the kids...even better at 5 p.m. as a lot of people cleared out to get ready for their reserved dinner times
booked Dolphin Cay for the 5th at the Owners Desk in Reef and got 20% off
went to Joker's Comedy Club on Wednesday for the 'pg' show with kids....my 14 year old was hypnotized, bought dvd for $30
family took taxi to Oh Andros for $20, eat there, pretty good grouper - spicy rice, then walked to Senior Frogs for a pint
Taxi beeped at us as we were walking downtown - asked if we needed ride - told him 10$ including the $1 toll to get over bridge - agreed

I read a lot of reviews on this board which prepared us for a great trip...never bought the food on the Atlantis grounds and saved a lot of $$...did the Starbucks prior to heading on to beach..there is a wait, but who cares...relax...probably don't need the coffee if you are already worked up about waiting...

Oh - almost forgot, it is $125 for the resort fee, but we got it for $75 for our family of 5 because of the owners unit we were in...

Room Tip: Get owners rooms
8 Thank EddieFAnnArbor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was my second visit to Atlantis and we were very disappointed. There were lines for starbucks, for breakfast, for the fitness Center. If you want a chair poolside, be prepared to find it before 8 am. Some days it took over an hour to find a tube to use on the lazy river and slides. People hoard pool chairs and tubes and the staff do nothing about it. The food is insanely expensive and the service was fair at best. The housekeeping was terrible. A pile of wet, dirty towels was always left on the bathroom floor. The housekeeper never picked up dirty towels.
The hotel is way overpriced for what you get. NEVER go during a School Vacation!

3 Thank nancy w
NYC
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This vacation is not what I expected, the use of the term luxury is frequently used to describe rooms etc., but it really does not apply here. This is a good place for a young family to vacation, but a bit painful for parents with expectations of a relaxing luxury vacation. The room, an ocean suite, was very nice, a great view, and gave us some space for the time that we were there. Unfortunately a loud alarm would sound for hours when apparently a "pump" failed?? This happened a couple of times and it sounded like having a fire alarm on our porch. We were on the 9th floor... The response from different staff varied greatly from helpful to dismissive. A bit frustrating.

Do not book airport transportation through the hotel. I booked a “luxury SUV” and had to wait in line for about 45 minutes on a hot day to be met by the equivalent of a dirty cab. I provided flight information etc. and expected someone to be waiting for me. This trip was priced at $135 each way when a cab is $35 and you don’t have to wait on a crowded sidewalk for 45 minutes talking to confused teenagers. They promised to remove the trip from my bill, but did not. I took a “cab” on the way back and it was literally nicer than what I had arranged there. This was my first experience during my stay with overpaying and having services under-delivered.

Don’t plan on checking in until after three. If you arrive early you will be told to come back in 30 minute increments until after three, expect it to be ready at 3:30. We ate at Mosaic while waiting and the ambience and décor were as good as anywhere, but the food beyond eggs and fruit was universally disappointing. Very high prices for mediocre food could apply to all but the best restaurants there. For the good restaurants if you don’t have a reservation 30 days in advance you are out of luck. The best food that we had came from room service and it is as well priced as anywhere. Foodstore2go.com was a great recommendation from this website which we used and liked

My daughter enjoyed trainer for a day at the Dolphin Cay, but don’t get it confused with the one at Disney. They only spend a short time with the Dolphins.

We took scuba lessons and went for a dive at a marine sanctuary, the highlight of the trip that I would recommend even for young teens, it is amazing. Do not do scuba in the lagoon it is loaded with sea lice and I saw a mother trying calm her daughter down, she was loaded with the painful bites.

If you want a chair by a pool or the ocean bring some personal effects to place on them before 8:30 or you will literally not find a place to sit at the beach or pool. The reef beach is the nicest beach.

If you have a young daughter please go with her on the lazy river to prevent some aggressive flirting by the local lifeguard staff, it was uncomfortable to watch.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe ocen suite if you don't mind the price, the view is incredible and the porch is ver...
5 Thank NycFamilyof4
Edmonton, AB
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Just returned from another great stay at The Reef, Atlantis. Although expensive, the place is well appointed and comfortable. We stayed for 9 nights in a one bedroom suite and were able to have food in our room (full kitchen), do our laundry (washed bathing suits each night) and had two full bathrooms. This for only three of us. We have comfortably had four in this room in previous years as the couch opens up to a queen sized bed. Also available at request are aerobeds, perfect for kids.

We ate at a lot of restaurants at Atlantis and a few outside. The best ambiance and food was at Cafe Martinique where our table of eight had a relaxing, delicious meal in an old "plantation" style room. Excellent service. We felt rushed at both Seafire Steakhouse and, especially Dune where we were disappointed. Dune is located at Ocean Club at the One and Only down the road. We had eaten at the Courtyard Restaurant there in previous years and thought we would try Dune. Totally disappointed. We were in and out of there in less than one hour (from our 8:30 p.m. reservation). Mesa Grill was good as always as was Chop Stix.

We ate meals in town three times, once at Cafe Matisse (really good except for the gruff attitude of the owner upon entering), Luciano's (always good) and Blu (totally sucked....do not go ever!), and had lunch at Brussels Cafe (excellent service and food) The cost to eat in town is significantly cheaper than at the Atlantis.

Pools and Aquaventure were fun for all of us, including the adults....love that river ride.

Staff is friendly and attentive throughout the resort.

If you don't mind paying a little extra, this is a great family experience.

Room Tip: Ask for "ocean/pool view" for excellent view of pools, ocean/point and Atlantis itself.
5 Thank tickledpink88
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I am here right now at the Reef in my one bedroom suite, listening to very loud construction of some sort. Just paid twenty dollars so I could log onto the internet and find an off-site snorkeling adventure for my daughter, who had been deeply disappointed to learn that everything she wanted to do was sold out. "I don't know," said the concierge when I asked what she could do instead. She didn't say she didn't care but that much was obvious.

That is one of the biggest problems here. Forget about the fact that my "harborview room" looks out on a parking lot, everything costs too much and I am used to paying a lot, there are so many lines, the food is just okay, etc. The people here do not care. They don't even smile, most of them, or look you in the eye as they are taking your money. $27 for a small bag of gummy worms.

My daughters had been dying to come here for years. At our $200 barbecue dinner last night (the only restaurant where we could get a reservation), one said, "It's the kind of place you go to once, to say you've been."

Her older sister said, "It doesn't feel like another country at all. It feels like we are in a mall in Disney World."

Now I am about to go down and wait on line for about thirty minutes so I can get a cup of coffee until the girls wake up, get my bracelet and put some towels down so we can have a seat at the Reef/Cove pool, and then we can stand on line and get our $100 buffet brunch. Actually the brunch is not bad. Perhaps the biggest problem here is all the people coming from cruises for the day. Hard to say. But I won't be coming back and I am glad my kids now understand why we were reluctant to book a vacation here.

Room Tip: Cove has nice rooms.
11 Thank seasoned28970
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Atlantis is amazing for families. The food and the service are shoddy at best. Food and drinks are pricey and a mandatory 15 % gratuity is added to purchases

Room Tip: Higher floors are nicer
2 Thank cincifoodie
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We traveled to the Atlantis-The Reef for a family vacation in March 2012. Stayed for 6 nights in a Studio Ocean View suite. I read many reviews before picking The Reef.

In a nutshell:

Ocean View Room: Very Good! But very pricey! We stayed 6 nights for over $800/night. It was an efficiency which was great for my 6 month old. It had a microwave, dishwasher, cooktop burners, refrigerator, mini bar, sink, and all the dishes and silverware you would need. And anything that you did need could be purchased at the store in the lobby such as baby food, dish detergent, diapers, etc. The bathroom was large with a great tub and separate shower stall. A crib was brought up with sheets. They were supposed to offer you a care package for the baby that Johnson and Johnson has teamed up with the Atlantis to offer free of charge. I had to call for that. They never gave it to me ahead of time with the crib as promised. My only main complaint is to make sure that Housekeeping has towels ready for your room before they clean it. Otherwise you may be calling multiple times to "prompt service" line (38) to get them. Maids were extremely nice! Left large tip.

Grounds: Gorgeous! The water rides were a hoot. Pools were beautiful! Beach was wonderful! Assortment of bars and restaurants were great! The Dig and Shark exhibits were awesome if you love sea life!

Pool Service: The pool food and bar service was awful! If you were lucky enough to get someone to come over to you, it took about an hour to get your food or bar drinks delivered. And you may not get everything you ordered the first time around although, tips are automatically on your bills. You are better off going to the bar to get your food.

Front Desk staff: Excellent! Especially Shandri!

Room Service: Very slow and food not that great - eat out! Some great restaurants!

Baby Stroller friendly: Not at all - so bring a baby carrier. So many stairs!

Overall - I would have given The Reef an excellent rating except for the towel and pool services issues. For what you pay-The Reef needs to fix a couple things especially if they intend on keeping up with the new property being built by Fall 2014 - (Crystal Palace) which will be in direct competition with Atlantis.

I will be rating all Restaurants / Bars / Babysitting separately!

9 Thank DeeDeeGirl007
0.1 km away
The Cove Atlantis, Autograph Collection
1.0 km away
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph Collection
Atlantis, Beach Tower, Autograph...
#11 of 14 in Paradise Island
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
#13 of 14 in Paradise Island
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,708 reviews

Been to The Reef Atlantis, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!