“Make sure you know what you are getting and need first”

Sunrise Resort & Marina
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 21 January 2017

Firstly all of the staff are great here but you will need transport to get anywhere.
Hired a car for USD $50 a day so factor that in to the cost.
Booked 8 nights but ended up leaving after 6.
USD $73 a night and I booked this solely on price - the cheapest by far I could find.

For USD $73 a night (including all taxes) you get:
Spacious but average and dated room with large relatively comfortable bed.
2 chairs and a table.
TV that I didn't use but the people in the room next door did till 3am one night and i could hear it very clearly - soundproofing of connecting door is poor so maybe ask to be situated away from others.
Smallish bathroom with time to replace shower nozzle that gives poor spray of water.
Air conditioning - hot and cold.
Mini Fridge but no kettle. That and a toaster would be very handy in room to help overcome location issue. And maybe at least one set of cutlery / plates etc.
The nearest supermarket / fast food place is a 15 minute walk away
Port L restaurants are a 13 minute drive away or USD $32 return taxi
Transport is absolutely needed to get anywhere - hotel can arrange car at USD $50 per day (so allow USD $123 per night)
Reception closes at 8pm and opens at 8am.
The wifi was either very good or very poor and was main reason for leaving early.
Hire a car, bring a lot of books and stock up on something for breakfast (but BYO spoons and bowls etc)
If you are on a budget, don't mind the travel and are looking for somewhere quiet then this may work for you but it is comfortable budget as opposed to all the bells and whistles.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank MJS1966

Reviewed 5 January 2017

This hotel is in the middle of nowhere. My husband and I enjoyed the fact that there was noone around, the beaches were deserted with not a soul in sight. It was very peaceful! That was the only plus!

Unfortunately there is nothing around and you need to take a $20.00 cab ride eachway into Port Lucaya to eat dinner. The money your saving staying at this resort is spent on cab rides. They should offer a shuttle into town at least once or twice a day. There are bikes but you need to get up early to ensure there yours for the day otherwise you feel very trapped. There is a takeout restaurant about a 10 min walk away that offers up hamburgers, cracked lobster, conch burgers and salads. Other than that you have the option to order pizza! If your in for a culinary experience I would stay closer to town.

Also, make sure your aware of the $20.00 pp a night tourism tax the Bahamas charges.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank chloe_garofolo
Reviewed 11 October 2016

Nice quiet, clean resort on the water. Rooms are clean, security is very tight and the management is great here. Very friendly and helpful. Beautiful marina location off a short channel which takes you directly out into the Carribean.

Stayed: May 2016
2  Thank BeachBum1964_10
Reviewed 14 September 2016

I don't know where these good reviews are coming from; I'll back up my comments with pictures.

I booked a package with Priceline, so I was unaware of the room rate vs air fair; I bought a package.

As it turns out, my room rate was only about $48 per night (with a resort fee payable upon arrival.)

The hotel, don't call this a resort, it's not a resort by any means, is a $20 cab ride from the airport. I knew this place was isolated but, I didn't realize how isolated. You have to drive through a neighborhood to get there and when you do, you're surprised and wonder if you could ever find your way back if you ventured out without a GPS.

We were greeted immediately by Ta'Shar, the General Manager and front desk on our arrival. Ta'Shar was very friendly and had opinions about everything; especially the politics in the US. SHe charged us the expected "resort fee" of $160+ for four nights. She kept us for over 20 minutes talking and talking and more talking. She ensured us that Hillary was best for us and we should stay away from Giovanni's Cafe in Port Lucaya, we should go to Cappuccinos instead; among many other opinions.

We were provided with an information sheet that told us; should we order pizza, we would have to meet the driver in room 101 which was a shell of an old room; with no front door or windows, walls or anything; it was a cement cube. Are you kidding me????

When we finally arrived at our room, we were shocked. The AC was not on so I had to do that myself. It was very hot in the room; the windows were open; it was August in the Bahamas. Upon turning the AC on, I found that the fan was the "clanging" type. We unpacked and hoped for the best.

After a few minutes, I realized that we were yelling across the room just to talk to each other. The room felt dirty; the fridge freezer was frozen over from lack of attention. The room wasn't getting cooler either. I didn't see any other guests and decided to request another room. Surely they had a different room with a better AC. I headed to the front desk.

They did. We were moved to a second floor unit, yay, Ta'Shar said the AC was newer than our first room, but they were going to have to move the cable box from the room we were vacating; really? You don't have cable in EVERY room?

After 20 minutes or so, some guy showed up with the cable box. He installed it after a few minutes and chatted with us a bit about the area, his role at the hotel, etc. He as well as all the other associates were as nice as can be.

The new room was rather bland. The kitchenette/island of the first room was non-existent. This area was completely void of furniture. The fridge was running and it's freezer wasn't frozen over. There was mold around the seal. The windows were dirty as were the blinds and curtains.

We immediately noticed that, upon stepping up near the bed, you'd break your toe because the bed frame extended out further than the mattress. The spread was disgusting and felt like an old oven mitt; we'd just fold that down anyway. The mattress and box spring were old and tattered. The bathroom was tight. The walls were cracked and the paint was peeling. The room safe was broken or something, no batteries. I went to the front desk and they gave me the MASTER KEY to use. Are you kidding me?? There was this torture device attached to the end table making it useless to put anything down.

We headed out to Port Lucaya for dinner; $16 + $4 tip; excellent driver and full of information. We headed back to the hotel; $17 + $3 tip; terrible drive who overcharged us as the cabs are all regulated by the government. The first driver checked the schedule; the second knew better.

We approached the security entrance of the hotel. We knew that the front desk was closed after 8PM and security would let us in. We were greeted by a shadow in the window of the front desk who simply pointed to the entrance that was neither locked or within view. Security? Really?

We got comfortable and went out to wander the property. Not another sole to be seen. We dipped in the pool which was clean but very small. Any significant occupancy would make that pool a cesspool.

After a while, we went to bed.

I woke up around 2AM after only 2 or three hours of sleep. The AC unit was still pumping and was quite loud. My mind started racing about what I had gotten us into. The place was a dump, it was a $40 round-trip expense to get anywhere, I owed my wife better than this.

By 4 AM, I was chatting with Priceline about my options. I knew I wasn't staying here another night. By 5AM, I had reservations at a much better place; regardless of losing my pre-paid room nights here. By 10AM, we checked out and were in a cab and heading for a real resort.

We enjoyed the rest of our stay in Freeport. Unfortunately, this hotel refuses to refund me my resort fees and taxes. I understand losing the room rate, but services were not received for the resort fees/Safe fees. They charged us $42 per night on top of a $48 room rate. They refused to refund the resort fee; it's pure theft!

Never again at this place. Quite possibly never again with Priceline since they were my travel agent and did nothing to help me.

Room Tip: Stay away; don't be deceived.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
8  Thank jrmckeel
Reviewed 16 August 2016

The first impression was good one, when I walked into the lobby it smell clean, fresh and was neat. The staff was very relaxed and allow me to check-in early without paying a fee. The room was very clean, neat and smell of some tropical fragrance. The hotel has a poolside bar, but a very small pool and upstairs there another bar /restaurant/ lounge, but was not open due to low season. The offer bikes, two jet ski and two kayaks that can be used for free, plus a beach towel and a washer and dryer on site. The TV's are old and can use an upgrade to flatescreen from tube TV. The nearest beach to the hotel is Tyne Beach, which you can the bikes to ride too. Overall great experience and would stay again.

Stayed: August 2016
Reviewed 21 June 2016

The room was a good size but very dated in appearance. The bed was comfortable enough but the sheets had stains, the décor was very old fashioned, the air conditioning was effective but the toilet bowl was stained and the entire bathroom did not feel very clean. The machine selling sodas and water was not working so we had to drive a mile or two to get refreshments. The location was away from the madding crowd which is what we wanted but you need a car to be able to get anywhere in Freeport center. It was cheap but not entirely cheerful.

Room Tip: Get near the pool and marina if staying longer than a night
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Johnsie30
Reviewed 28 May 2016

Nice place with friendly staff The room was very nice but older. The pool was nice and clean but small. They said they had a bar and they did but no bartender or any type of beer, wine or alcohol. They said they had a restaurant but I didn't see it. They said they had a workout facility which consisted of a couple of machines in what purported to be the bar. They said they had beach access and they did but it was a 10+ minute walk through the woods on a dirt path to a deserted beach. They charged a $20 resort fee which I guess was for the Wifi and pool. And everything was a $20 cab ride away. The most fun I had was finding a killer Bahamian restaurant and bar about a 15 minute walk from the hotel. I got a whole fresh red snapper and conch fritters made before my eyes for about $15.

Room Tip: All about the same.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo