All reviews big mama swim up bar awesome pool port lucaya market place coffee pot lucayan national park fish fry cruise ship hammocks caves nightlife blast bay
Reviewed November 5, 2018

The lady at the desk on check-in was very nice. The room although very worn and dated was clean.
I did immediately notice that half of the bar for the chain type lock was missing. (to make it easier to break-in or because someone ripped it off breaking in?) The door was very rickety and looked as if it had been put up in a hurry, with light leaks all the way around. Sketchy, yes but I was not worried - but I should have been.
For some odd reason the beds were made with the bottom sheet, then the blanket and then the top sheet on top of all. I would call that inside out but what do I know of Bahamian customs?
We went across the street for an early dinner. The food was okay but nothing special.
When we returned to our room just before sunset we noticed that there were a few characters hanging out that looked a little strung-out or sketchy.
We were tired after flying in, so we went to the room, locked the door and soon fell asleep. We were awakened at 12:13 am to the sound of someone jimmying our lock. Not trying their key in the wrong door, as the front desk suggested but using a tool and working at it. My friend pulled the curtain back and tapped on the window but he didn't stop until I pounded on the door and yelled, GO AWAY!
The front desk was very unsympathetic the next morning because we did not go to security. Neither one of us thought of leaving that room! We did, however, pile luggage in front of the door and I would suggest you do the same if you stay in this place.
We did both forget that we had a room phone. But really, that guy was long gone after I pounded on the door anyway, what would security have done except keep us up longer?

Room tip: The best way to choose a good room is to get one at another hotel.
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2018

Just getting there was an ordeal, the cab driver almost dropped us of at the wrong place. This was suppose to be a Marketing Pitch, so why would you give prospects a crappy room. Just entering the lobby you know that it's going to be a nightmare.

We got a motel style room. The door never closed properly had to lock it or push hard to shut it. Two inch gaps on the top of the door and a inch gap for the bottom, there is something called "Weather stripping". They must love paying the electrical bill. There was a kitchenette but no dish towels or rags to clean-up messes. Bathroom was usable, but no stoppers for either the sink or tub. Every time you used the toilet paper roll, the door it was attached to banged. Every time you sat on the bed the wooden base sounded like it was going to break. Old rickety furniture, was so low it was difficult to get in and out. There was a "ladder" to dry your wet things, which was okay for light things but you had to turn them around often.
As for the beach, it was okay but not cleaned. Yes we went out of season (September) but come on, have someone walk the beach and pick-up the crap that get left by the smokers and beach goers that don't clean-up after themselves. I picked up about a shopping bag full of garage, that's how annoyed I was. Just walked through the pool area, wanted to use the beach as the water was beautiful. Also it looked like nothing was going on any way. Everyone was at the beach.
Costs: $30.00 each way from the boat for a cab (2 people), $14.00 round-trip (7 min) ferry taxi ride to the market. $10.00 per beach towel deposit. No iron in the room (ironing board yes) but most likely you would have to pay if you needed needed one. $20.00 key deposit, that would cost $5.00 to cut at Canadian Tire. I agree with Edurado L. you got nickel and dimed with everything.

Tours: Tried to go on a Glass Bottom boat ride, but that got cancelled due to lack of people, totally understood. There was a Beach Bonfire Party, Big Momma wanted $56.00 per person, but at the restaurant it was only $45.00 per person. It was a buffet dinner with entertainment and all-you-can- drink Bahama tropical drinks(boozy).

The restaurant was the only saving grace for this place. We ate every meal there, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Never had a bad meal. Yes there was some talking to the Chef about the Seafood Pasta (too much cheese), but over all very nice meals were served. Tanya, Maria (?) and Micheal the Chef were great to a talk too.

Room tip: Hope your a time-share owners to get access to the better properties.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank marilynt678
Reviewed September 23, 2018

The best thing about the Flamingo Bay resort is that you get to use Taino beach vacation villas property which means the beach and a beautiful pool plus a nice restaurant especially for breakfast.
Taneka and Sam were extremely helpful, but don’t book anything through “Big Moma” who acted like you were bothering her when you wanted to plan an excursion. Same with the rest of the staff. Buy your trips in Port Lucaya.
TV was broken in the room(line thru it). And it did have a microwave as well as some silverware, and beds were hard but ok. If you are on a limited budget, this would be a place to stay because of the proximity of the beach and the ferry (really large boat into Port Lucaya $14 RT)

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 569franb
Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

We won a trip to Freeport through travglobe. Having traveled to the Bahamas before, and doing our homework, we understood that we would have to pay for a cab to the hotel and that many items were "extra", so we were well prepared. The adjoining property has a beautiful pool and magnificent beach. The room was clean and had a great mini kitchen area. We brought dry goods/snack foods with us to save on some costs. The hotel restaurant has very good food and a spectacular view as it is on the beach. Big Momma got us hooked up with our scuba diving trips. It was relatively quiet on the island and we had a lovely trip.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn H
Reviewed August 24, 2018

I guess this is par for buying a late night package that is too good to be true. My biggest complaint is with the company that sold me the package.(VIP TOURS, STAY AWAY!!!!!).I was booked, or so I thought, for the VIVA WYNDHAM FORTUNA Beach resort, cool. Then a week prior to my trip I was sent my conformation to FLAMINGO BAY HOTEL. That is not even a choice on their web site. Looked up this property and was very disappointed from the reviews. Called VIP Tours and went back and forth with them, they eventually told me I could stay at Taino Beach Hotel. I was waiting for conformation, then the day prior I was told that I could only stay at Flamingo Bay.
Every review is no exaggeration about the property. You get nickled and dimed for EVERYTHING!!! 10 rent towel, 10 rent iron, 20 room key, 2.89 gallon of water, 3.50 pack of Oatmeal. CRAZY PRICES!!
Bathrooms were gross and I requested shower to be cleaned, not once did they do it. Yes, large bed however, air conditioner, ceiling fan; noisy, kitchen sink old dirty.
there is no shuttle to and from the airport; 25 for 2 people. No matter where you go, people are trying to get you to go to a presentation. Be prepared! The last boat to the market left my wife and I stranded at Port Lucaya, we had to take a cab back. However, we were given a free round trip boat taxi for compensation.
All in all, my wife and I had a great trip and made the best of it. It was not ALL BAD!!
The beach is fantastic, the pool is great too.
We rented a car, THE BEST MOVE!!! We were able to tour the island at out own pace and did a lot of sight seeing.
We went to the Lucayan National Park (5.00 per person) and toured Ben's Cave and Lucanyan Cavern where the Indian burial grounds are. The best part was Gold's Beach....BREATH TAKING!! We had the ENTIRE beach to ourselves. There was a tour that came through and they stayed for about 1 hour, that's how we got pictures. We ate at Bishop's,another out of the way spot... great food!
We toured Million Dollar Row, West Beach, Fortuna Beach, Lacayan Beach, All Amazing places.
Not much for night life...
Wednesday Night Fish Fry, GREAT PLACE TO EAT AND DANCE!!
Thursday and Sunday Nights, Bon Fire with show at the Tiano hotel.
Eat at Daddy Brown's at the Lucayan Market, $10.00 for 2 fried fish and Conch Fritters you gotta have it!! Local owner, small yellow shack, DELICIOUS FOOD!
Car rental was $60.00 for 24hours ( Hyundai Elantra). Gas was about 4 dollars per liter.
Once we got over the bad hotel, our trip was AMAZING!!
If you averaged what we paid and what we got for JUST THE ROOM, it is not worth $139.00 per night. We had a great time, made great memories, hotel had a lot to be desired.

Date of stay: August 2018