See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 14, 2016

The owner/manager, Mrs. Davis was an extremely friendly host. The Apartment is centrally located in Governor's Harbour with the Friday night fish fry almost at the back door. The property is quiet and serene with comfortable seating for star gazing. The rooms can use some upgrading but they were clean and lots of towels and linen were available.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2015

The Laughing Bird Apartments are located just across a quiet road from the ocean in Governors Harbour, Eleuthera. Jean, the owner is a gracious hostess. The garden setting is tranquil. The sliding glass door from the apartment opens into the garden area and the ocean can be seen from the glass door. The location is good for walking to the grocery store and bakery. Wifi is available outside the office but does not reach the rooms.
The apartment needed some attention. The lock on the sliding glass door did not lock. Shower room tiles were broken. The bed was saggy. The TV sound was erratic- sometimes loud then no sound. Generally the apartment was fairly clean but items were old. It was adequate for a short stay.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Raoa
Reviewed August 22, 2015

I first went to the island of Eleuthera following the painting trail of the great American painter Winslow Homer. I wanted to experience the unique quality of light that drew Homer to this paradise. I went the first time many years ago and have returned many many times. I always stay at the Laughing Bird, it is my place. I now have people on the island that call me cousin Ed, I am honored. The accommodations are perfect for me, I am not worried about getting little smudge of cerulean blue on the floor! Frankly I find the northern part of the island a bit off-putting as they cater to the white pants and gold sandal set with big generic and sterile hotels. So, am am going back to paint in December '15, see you at Laughing Bird, bring your paints and let go painting! We will have a show and reception at the library in Governors Harbor! Let's channel the spirit of Winslow Homer and Mal Flanders! See you soon Nurse Jean and all my cousins! Cousin Ed.

Room Tip: Go to Ronnies if you want to watch Sports, or to Sunset Inn to collect emails. If you want a good room they have it.
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EdPenniman
Reviewed February 23, 2015

When you visit the rustic, elemental paradise that is Eleuthera, the Laughing Bird Apartments allow for all the amenities you might need in such a destination. The apartments are clean and spacious and located on a beautiful, landscaped lot feet from a small beach. Hostess Jean is warm and gracious, and our children (ages five and six) searched her out for visits many times each day. We stayed here for the first time in April 2014 and fell in love with it (all except the seasonal insect population-the island doesn't spray, which is not a bad thing overall). We just returned from our second trip and will surely go back.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Maureen H
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews online, I was skeptical about staying here, however, it was the best thing I could have done.
I could have used some additional pillows for the bed, but I made out just fine. I enjoyed the sliding doors (locked from the inside), and the hammock outside. I do wish I had used them more though.
The kitchen was small but I imagine the perfect size for anyone cooking. I did not cook so I only used the fridge.
The highlight was Nurse Jean, she is such a pleasant person who has so much knowledge. She truly made my stay incredible and even inspired me to stay true to who I am. She was kind enough to take me to church with her, and helped with any directions, as well as a car rental that I needed. She really was one of a kind. I enjoyed how homie the rooms were and that she would have magazines, such as the National Geographic in the rooms. It was a great feeling.
The location was great and only a few blocks away from the grocery stores, liquor, snorkel rental, etc. in Governor's Harbor. The Caribbean was across the road, maybe a minute walk away, and I enjoyed some great snorkeling in the water.
Facing the Caribbean, if you head left on the road (10 minute walk, AWAY from town), it'll take you to the sunset restaurant (I believe that's the name, sunset for sure). They have a deck on the ocean and great selection of food.
If you head to the Harbor and sit in front of the nursing station on the steps and throw sticks in the water at night, the barracuda will swim and dance for you.
I'd recommend this to anyone who appreciates the small things in life. This was truly great.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo