New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Great Exuma
Halifax, NS
“Two Weeks of Heaven”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Me and my husband just spent a glorious two-weeks at the beautiful Sandals Emerald Bay (February 26 - March 11). Last year we stayed at the Sandals Royal Plantation in Jamaica and wanted to try somewhere different and for two weeks instead of one. We loved the Royal Plantation and will go back someday but Emerald Bay is now our choice of the two.

A previous reviewer left a small bio which I thought was helpful so I will do the same. We are a couple in our early 40s, no children, and have travelled extensively with experiences in the high-end range of accommodations/service, etc. Our purpose of the trip was to get some downtown after a major career change and health diagnosis. We wanted relaxation and we got it.

99% per cent of our trip/experience was amazing. The 1% per cent I'll leave to the end.

BUTLERS
I've read that many people feel the Butler service isn't necessary. I disagree. It's incredibly comforting to know that you have three wonderful caretakers looking out for you during your trip and the knowledge and assistance they provide all add to the pampering experience that if you're booking at a Sandals you must be looking for. Our Butlers were Stephen, Harris, and Michael. You cannot find a better ambassador for the beautiful Exuma Islands than Stephen. We wanted to get to know the island and its people and Stephen was amazing sharing with us the Island's history. Harris is from Jamaica and gave us that beautiful Jamaican vibe we had last year and his smile always made my day. Michael is from India and his infectious laugh made us feel like we were old friends. All three of these men are true professionals in their field and we felt very fortunate that we had two weeks getting to know them. They take the time to get to know their guests and their routines/habits and do everything they can to ensure you don't want for anything. Job well done gentlemen!

ROOM
We booked a Coco Plum Penthouse Luxury suite which was very nice. I would have loved to have been able to leave the patio door open to hear the ocean waves but the air conditioner turns off when the patio door is open. The room temperature is set at 70F/20C which we found too hot/muggy and you are not able to change it. Next time I will book a room with a larger patio. We are patio people and like to lounge/eat on the patio at the end of the day and the patio on our suite was too small for that. The bed was very comfortable and bathroom was lovely.

BEACH / POOL
We are beach people so most of our time was spent on the beach. Our Butlers set up a sheltered cabana on the beach most days for us. The sand is groomed daily and it white and soft - just perfect. The water is clear and turquoise blue. We were surprised by how few guests utilized the beach. On three particularly windy days our Butlers found comfortable spots around the quiet pool which was lovely. Staff would come around with watermelon and our Butlers always popped by to ensure we had everything we needed, often bringing us a nice drink or munchies. We never spent a day at the large pool but walked by and observed it daily. The "pool people" seemed to be enjoying themselves with the music/swim-up bar/ and entertainment/games.

FOOD
The food was amazing at each restaurant and we ate at them all. The wings and bread pudding at the Drunken Duck were amazing (especially with a nice cold Guiness); the grilled shrimp at the Barefoot was addictive; the morning coffee/tea with pastry at Cafe Paris was incredible; we had afternoon flatbread pizzas from Dino's and a nice evening meal of Chicken Parm; the Bahama Bay Buffet always had great choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner - the omelette station was my fav; we ate at Il Cielo (Italian) restaurant three times and La Parisienne (French) two times and everything we ordered was great. There is so much choice I don't see how there could be complaints with the food.

ACTIVITIES OFF RESORT
Island Routes is I guess a separate but affliated tour company for Sandals. We did two off-resort excursions. The first was renting a Jeep to do our own Island tour ($150 CDN). It was amazing. We drove to George Town and took a ferry taxi to Stocking Island ($12 CDN per person return) and had lunch at the Chat'N'Chill (it was okay, less than I expected though). We didn't realize that you can walk over the hill and the St. Francis resort is there. We then went off in search of what we heard was the prettiest beach in all of the Exumas - the Tropic of Cancer beach. We spent a few hours on a gorgeous long and completely isolated stretch of white sand beach and then found out it wasn't the Tropic of Cancer beach! All the beaches are so beautiful I can't see how one is prettier than the next. We did the amazing Thunderball 007 Tour through Exuma Water Sports. Ray and his son Trevor were our captain and tour guides. The tour is amazing! All the stops (swimming pigs, having tame nurse sharks swimming around you, the unbelievable snorkling at the Thunderball grotto, lunch (included) at Staniel Cay Yacht Club (the Conch fritters and the Goombay Smash drink are perfect), the visit with the Bahamian Rock Iguanas, the sandbar in the middle of the ocean, all of it was incredible. It's expensive though at $375 CDN per person. It's a full day - pick up around 8:30am from the resort and back around 6:00pm. We found out though sharing stories with fellow travellers at the airport coming back that there's also another company which Island Tours doesn't mention that does the same tour for $160 CDN per person (Four C's Adventures). Exuma is a small island and I think Sandals should promote all of the local service providers and allow their guests to choose which one they'll use. There are probably a lot of other excursions that could be available but not offered via Island Routes - so next time I'll do some research to learn more before I go.

ACTIVITIES ON RESORT
Because we spent most of our time on the beach, we didn't participate in the many activities that took place around the main pool during the day but there seemed to be many fun things happening. Because of the red-flag weather most days, the watersports were beached but there were a couple of yellow-flags where we saw lots of kayaks, and Hobie Cats in the water. Each evening a different singer/activity was scheduled. Lots to keep you entertained! We aren't golfers but heard the course was incredible.

NOW FOR THE 1%
I'm big on first impressions. I'm a detail/process gal so I notice things. The week prior my travel agent suggested I do the "online check-in" on the Sandals website because I did not receive an email from Sandals asking for our preferences as I did last year when we booked in Jamaica. The online registration asks for your name and arrival/departure dates - I entered in my name, my husband's name and our arrival date (Feb 26) and our departure date (Mar 11). I received a confirmation back with a confirmation number for our stay and my name was wrong - that irks me given that I typed in my own name so clearly someone on the Sandals end receives the information and then types in back in. My travel agent said she contacted them prior to us arriving and that my name would be fixed - it wasn't and didn't get updated during our entire stay. Upon arrival at the resort I wasn't impressed with was the sheer disorganization of the check-in process. We were dropped off at the "Butler Lounge" with at least 50 other couples. I had to ask a number of times what was going on because no one was approaching us. Then a Sandals employee asked us for our Room Voucher which I provided. At least another three Sandals employee came up and asked us for the same thing. At one point, we were the only two people in the Lounge - no other guests or employees. I found someone and asked again what was happening and was then told they were waiting for our room to be ready and that someone would come and get it when it was ready. It was already at least an hour since we had arrived so we were quite hungry so I asked if we could wait in a restaurant. We were escorted us down to the Barefoot by the Sea and was then told it would be a 45 minute wait?? So we went to the Buffet and was asked our room number which we didn't have but they allowed us in anyway thankfully. We went back to the Lounge after eating to wait until our Butler came to get us - by this time about three hours has passed since we arrived. There is a form you are given to sign off on which our Butler gave us - my name was wrong, my birthdate was wrong, our check-out date was wrong - all of which I crossed out and put the correct information in. Okay, so a bad process/beginning but I could look past that. Throughout the first week there were minor issues with having to wait for the simpliest questions to be answered by the front desk staff. They were all nice to deal with but I didn't get the impression that it was overly efficient. Throughout our first week our Butlers were aware that we were staying for two weeks. At the end of the first week on Sunday, I received a call early that morning from Stephen our Butler asking if I had a copy of our Room Voucher (I didn't because I had given it during the check-in). Then I received a call from Harris our Butler asking if I had any emails/etc. confirming the two week stay. Obviously they had us checking out that day. Harris was very sweet not wanting me to worry but that was the issue - despite my online check-in and corrections on the form. I pulled up the confirmation email I received directly from Sandals after I online checked-in where I personally entered in my arrival and departure dates but was told the confirmation number was only for a one-week stay. I provided my confirmation email from my travel agent with our booking information for the two-week stay. The Room Voucher I gave on my first day was apparently locked in an office which was closed that Sunday and apparently no one had access to that room. There was a lot of back and forth with the Butlers (who were incredibly helpful) and management. There was uncertainty whether we'd be staying in the same room or upgraded to a different room on Sunday (as we found out our room was double booked) and then the same on Monday. Our travel agent was involved and indicated she was dealing with the matter as well and that everything would be sorted out. Michael arrived at our room with Sonja (one of the managers). Sonja told us that Air Canada had "proven" that we had paid for two weeks so everything was good. Perhaps it was use of the word "proven" but it left me with the impression that Sandals thought we were trying to pull one over on them. I was confident that throughout the check-in process of correcting Sandal's mistakes that I had already provided enough proof that our reservation was for two weeks. Then she mentioned that they were fully booked so our request for an upgrade couldn't happen?? We didn't request an upgrade, we knew our room had been double-booked and just assumed that if we had to be moved it would be to something similiar or upgraded to a higher category of room to what we paid for. Her approach left me feeling that we were guests who were complaining and were demanding an upgrade when that wasn't the case at all. So my 1% disappointment is with Administration. I simply did not feel that administratively the details are being properly and correctly looked after and having read other reviewers' notes, they too seemed to have had some issues with the Administrative side of things.

Despite the 1%, the trip was amazing. The resort and the staff are so great to deal with. We will go back!

8 Thank ToeserHalifax_NS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,153)
Chilliwack, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

We were married at Sandals Negril 2 years ago and chose Sandals Emerald Bay for our second anniversary. We had booked a Candlelight dinner - the staff knew nothing about it. My daughter also bought us a Candlelight dinner - they did not tell her one was already booked - when we found out we canceled it they said they would give us a resort credit - never happened. We paid $170 for something we never got and we can't get them to refund it.

The Sandals website would not accept my password - I complained FOUR times - it is still not fixed.

I had a SPA credit - they debited my credit card!!!!

Complaints not efficiently dealt with.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jacquie R
New York, NY

ABOUT US

We're throwing in a bio here for two reasons:
1) Hopefully it will help a similar couple gauge if this vacation is right for them, and
2) This review is fairly glowing, so we don't want to be accused of having a limited scope of experience :)

Stats:
*Early 30's married couple - with a 2-year-old - from New York City
*Have stayed at quality venues (including Fairmont, Waldorf Astoria, OMNI, Ritz-Carlton, W)
*Have enjoyed fine dining and boutique dining in New York City
*Spent time in Bermuda, Ocho Rios-Jamaica, Cozumel-Mexico, Cayman Islands, and Belize
*Sandals Emerald Bay was our first all-inclusive

SERVICE
The most impressive thing to us about SEB was the amazing quality of service. Everyone, from the highest-level managers to the gardeners, went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We call it High-End Luxury without Stuffiness.
Upon our arrival at the airport, we were greeted by friendly staff who offered us water and sent us off in a private car to the resort. Once at the resort, we were whisked away to the private butler suite. This was a treat since it meant we had been upgraded, thanks to our amazing travel agent, Ruth DeMuth of TripGuy, LLC. The suite is large and spacious. Lee checked us in while we lounged in comfy chairs and sipped pink champagne. She went above and beyond expectations by being so incredibly helpful – she didn’t just give Eric the Wifi password, she actually came over and entered it into his phone.
The high quality service continued when we met Michael, one of our three butlers. He came to the suite to retrieve us, took ALL of our bags, and then walked us to our room halfway across the resort, all the while pointing out the restaurants and other points of interest on the resort. He settled us into our room, where a chilled bottle of wine was waiting for us, trained us on our butler cell phone and made sure we were comfortable and didn’t need anything before taking his leave.
Our other two butlers, Paul and Harris, were just as wonderful and accommodating. All three of them were there whenever we needed them. They reserved our cabana every morning and stocked it with a cooler full of bottled water for us. They brought us drinks and snacks, sometimes meals if we wanted, and they pressed our clothes on the nights we were going to the dressier restaurants.
The night before we left, knowing that it was the 10th Anniversary of our Engagement, they left us a wonderful surprise in our room. Flowers and candles EVERYWHERE, a bathtub filled with bubbles and flowers and a lovely, heartfelt note. It was just like being on The Bachelor!
We *really* cannot say enough about Michael, Paul and Harris – they made our stay at SEB so very special and we even got a little teary-eyed saying goodbye.
Other staff members that stood out:
Gemma @ The Drunken Duck Pub – she takes such pride in the restaurant, and it shows!
Gerard @ the swim-up bar – he was very fun and made us some great drinks (most notably the Safe Sex – highly recommend!)
Robin and Lanelle, the social hostesses – these girls were a hoot and seemed to work mostly as a team. Definitely do trivia at the pool with them!
The girl in the photo shop was super fun and helpful, but we can’t remember her name.
Gina in the gift shop; Satar, the head butler; Denise, the manager…
Pasquale @ La Parisienne – he makes a point to know your names, so when he comes to your table and says, “How is everything, Mr. and Mrs. Catania?” you feel so welcome, like you’re a regular.
The guys and girls at the Water Sports booth – especially when we couldn’t get our trike to land in the right spot and had to drag it about a quarter mile down the beach!
Overall, we were so impressed with almost everyone at SEB. The *only* place that didn’t have an overly-welcoming vibe was at Il Cielo. Our waiter – a very tall gentleman – was wonderful. Everyone else, not so much.

FOOD
We found the food overall to be very good. The fish ‘n chips at the pub was one of our favorites, and dinner at Dino’s really stood out too (the lasagna and the chicken parmigiana were outstanding!) We were split on Il Cielo for dinner, but the breakfast there was wonderful. La Parisienne was good, but there wasn’t a ton on the menu that appealed to us. Barefoot by the Sea had delicious, casual food – desserts there were our favorites! The buffet was always consistently good as well. We loved that the portions were small and that there was never a shortage of fresh fruit, lean fish or chicken and vegetables. It made us feel less guilty about all the drinking and dessert-eating we did.
Oh, and we can’t forget Café de Paris. We popped in for cappuccinos twice daily and enjoyed their yummy pastries just as often. Definitely a favorite!

SPA
The excellent customer service continued at the Red Lane Spa. They leave no stone unturned when it comes to seeing to your comfort from the time you enter the facility, to the time you leave. They guide you every step of the way, showing you where to go, what to do, etc… so that you never feel uncomfortable or awkward.
The facility is gorgeous and pristine, and even if you don’t book a treatment, you can still use the steam room and showers!
The robes they give you are silky and SO comfy. You get to choose your massage oil and at the end of the treatment, they let you choose a special rock with Red Lane Spa engraved on it.
We did the hot stone couples massage special, and loved it. We highly recommend checking out their specials so you can save a little money on this aspect of the trip.

GROUNDS
We can’t say enough about how beautiful and well kept this resort is. Everything is pristine – the pool, the rooms, the restaurants, even the bathrooms near the beach were pretty nice. The grounds are well manicured and there are lush flowers and trees throughout. The only drawback some may find to such a well kept lawn is that they do have to mow it daily. We experienced the mowing at 8:30am and 3:30pm, depending on the day. It’s not a problem if your doors and windows are closed, though.
The beach is exquisite. The sand is soft and white and the water is electric blue. It’s completely private (no vendors!) and very quiet. We enjoyed morning walks along the water, and midnight kisses under the moon and stars!

HIGHLIGHTS
There were so many amazing moments in our five days at SEB; we really had a truly amazing time. Some of the highlights include: The Mentalist – great mental magic kind of show!; Opera Night – while they aren’t really singing opera, they still do a nice show, plus it’s super romantic sitting by the pool listening to love songs; karaoke at the pub; water trike (just make sure it’s not a windy day!!); photo shoots – Kenny, the photographer, always seemed to be right where we needed him – we had a lot of fun taking advantage of their free services and did buy a photo package at the end of our stay; ping-pong, shuffleboard, pool – these are first come first serve, and we had a blast playing; kitties – there are resident kitties all over the place, and we had a great time getting to know them; golf cart – we don’t golf, but we did use a cold and windy day to take a golf cart up the back 9 and it was *awesome*! If you have a golf credit, they won’t charge you, but otherwise it’s about $40.
GOOD TO KNOW
The Internet is pretty rough! We could get our email sporadically, but it’s not good enough to Skype with your children or browse the web heavily.
Weather in February *can* be chilly, so if you’re going in Feb, have some warmer clothes for the evening. As Northeasterners, we still appreciated the 60-80F temperatures.
Temperature of the main pool was very cold and there was only one day hot enough for us to brave it, which is a shame, because it’s so beautiful and amazing! However, there are hot tubs and *very* hot tubs, so we still got to spend time in the water.
The fact that tipping is not allowed is awesome! It really makes the trip so stress-free. If you have butlers, however, and they do a good job for you, it’s important to leave tips for them at the end of your stay.
This is a couples resort, and they mean that in every sense of the word. You never feel preyed upon by desperate singles (heehee) and you don’t feel awkward with PDA. Chairs are always together at the pool and everything generally comes in pairs.

IN CONCLUSION
We are madly in love with this resort and its people. Our stay here was magical and it was just what we needed – an opportunity to recharge our very worn down batteries. It goes without saying that we will return to SEB at some point in the future, and we are definitely sold on the Sandals/Beaches brand for life!

Room Tip: We had a 1-bedroom butler suite in Bayhouse 7 on the 2nd floor -- it was beautiful, roomy and clean...
7 Thank princessjewel78
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I have read others reviews who gave this resort 5 stars and had such great things to say about it and they all seem to have 2 things in common: 1) they are reviewing the esthetics of the resort and 2 ) they had a room with Butler service. I would agree that this resort and its scenery are breathtaking, the beach and the water are among the nicest I have ever seen. However.... my husband and I vacationed there the last week of February and had a very different experience. We chose not to get a room with a Butler, we were paying so much for a ocean view room already we didn't see the need for a personal assistant. Checking in was a fiasco, they took us to our room without any sort of orientation about the resort and its restaurants etc. i just had to keep asking them along the way. It took 3 HOURS to have our bags delivered to our room. We kept calling and they were so "whatever" about it, kept saying they should be there any minute and were unapologetic. We wasted out entire first afternoon in our room waiting for our bags. The power went out in the resort the second day and the phone system was out for our entire trip which meant no ordering room service. Internet is not included with your trip, so you have to pay additional for that but that was also down for days. It was so hard to get a drink at the pool bar, you would have 20 people waiting and 1 guy serving drinks, 1 guys stacking cups and 2 girls wiping down a already clean counter. People were so frustrated but when they complained, there was really no one to listen and no one obviously cared. There were way too many Indians and not enough Chiefs! The alcohol was so cheap, they advertise serving Premium brands but you have to specifically ask for it and only some bars carried it, I can't tell you how many drinks I sent back or threw out because they were so poorly made. The wine was also cheap and at the Italian restaurant you had the option of finally having a nice wine but you had to pay over $50 a bottle. Yes it was nice to be on vacation and it could have been worse but we paid $5000 for 5 nights and we have been so many places for the same cost or less (including a Sandals in Jamaica) that were so much better. If you have never been to a Caribbean resort than you would probably like this just fine but if you have been somewhere you liked you will be disappointed with this as a follow up. Everyone we spoke to at the end of our trip was saying the exact same thing, someone even complained to the Manager and her response was "we are not the Ritz Carlton", no you are not indeed - not even close. I would never go back to this Sandals, they have not figured out how to run a resort up to what they claim the Sandals standard to be.

Room Tip: Get a Butler Service room
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank kelly b
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

The resort has the best in many categories for Carribean resorts I have been to, including two other Sandals. Let me list some highlights ... the genuinely friendly staff and management , the beach and the ocean water are incredible, the pool, the golf course are the best , the spa is right up there, and the food and restarants are top notch. The rooms rooms are beatiful and the views are great. The beds are so comfortble its easy to sleep a morning away . A resort usually does not usually get all the big things right, this one does. Any short fall was are minor details. Once you set your clock to island time you realize its proably one of the best and romantic vacations you will ever have . Stretch to make do 10 days if you can.
Hello to to Dave ( Big Papi) , Dimitreo ( Jimmy the Greek), WIki ( Wiki Leaks) and #3

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michaelwashere
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

We needed a break; didn't want to spend much in-transit time; and love Sandals. So after 2, 40-minute flights and a 10-minute cab ride, we went from Tampa to Emerald Bay--our 3rd Sandals resort! We left at 7am on AA thru Miami and were drinking "Dirty Bananas" pool-side by 1. This Sandals was as described: quiet(er), relaxing, laid back. The weather was in the high 70s/low 80s, w/white puffy clouds. Mild winds are constant, sometimes blustery, but that did not affect our stay. Standard rooms are outstanding; complete with all amenities. Be specific with where you want your room--flr/bldg location! Food was excellent! Reserve ASAP for the Italian and French-themed restaurants. The pool water was colder than the bay! The private beach was beautiful--there are no jet skis. I took my SCUBA gear, but after talking with some divers, opted out due to low visibility and dive locations. I did take my clubs and played 2 rnds on the private,18 hole golf course--the scenery is spectacular! I got a complimentary round with my stay and paid a discounted rate for the second round in the afternoon. Green fees are $175 before 2 and $125 after 2 (comes with cart). Rental clubs are extra, but nice (full set of Taylormade). My wife isn't a golfer, but she enjoyed the course setting along the ocean (back nine) and lagoon (front nine). We went to the red lane spa for a couples massage. It's pricey, but worth the relaxation. At any time during your stay, you can use the spa's other features (sauna) for free. We attended Mardigras night hosted by the resort, featuring local foods, entertainment, and fireworks. On another night we sat outside and listened to arias by a good tenor. As returning Sandals members, we were hosted to a 5- course gourmet meal on our first evening. All-n-all, this was a perfect trip for us and may be for you if you want some relaxing downtime. We'll go back after staying at another Sandals!

Room Tip: Lower flr walks out onto pathways to all hotel features--no steps. 2nd and 3rd flrs have balconies...
5 Thank GeminiMan611
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

We have got into many conversations regarding the above title and all guests agree that the Emerald Bay Resort is a wonderful experience.

My husband and I just love the resort - the grounds are beautiful with everywhere being so clean and tidy.

The staff are fantastic - they are professional, friendly and attending to your every need with a smile. They never walk past you without a greeting. We got the vibes it was down to Jeremy Mutton the General Manager and his managers that the staff are so motivated.

The Cafe de Paris is a new addition serving throughout the day and evening mouth watering pastries, cakes and coffees plus delicious ice cream - it was certainly popular.

The restaurants serve excellent cuisine with a white glove service in the Il Cielo and La Parisienne. Il Cielo actually has a desert room which needs to be experienced.

There is a beautiful Greg Norman golf course - we enjoy walking the course - a large part of it is next to the sea and the views are fantastic.

The 6 floodlit tennis courts are excellent with a great tennis pro on hand.

There are many trips to be taken - we did the Thunderball 007 trip which we would recommend - a really good day.

All in all - it's a wonderful resort and visiting is a truly superb experience.

1 Thank snowwhite99