“Most relaxing stay in a serence setting”
other travellers have booked this property
The Garden with dry stone wall View from the Main Bedroom
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
View from the deck
The Garden with dry stone wall
View from the Main Bedroom
The Kitchen
More of the Sitting Room
The Boathouse
The Beach in front of the house
Trasnagh -  the island in front of the house. Picnic here after a boat trip.
View from main bedroom
The Glen, moored in front of the house
View from the Sitting Room
The Deck
The kitchen
The kitchen
A good place to sit
Some flat stones on the deck
The Beach
A wee seat
Aerial view of The Boathouse
The Boathouse from the Lough
The Boathouse
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
sd508
Toronto, Canada
“Most relaxing stay in a serence setting”
Reviewed August 17, 2018 for a stay in July 2018

Had a thoroughly enjoyable stay at the Boathouse on Sketrick Island. Lindy was incredibly lovely to deal with. The setting is absolutely picturesque and completely quiet. Had the view of the water in the front, and cows grazing in the field in the back. House was clean and had everything we needed for our stay. Enjoyed being able to walk around the island on small paths in the evening, very relaxing. Even saw a seal swim by when sitting out the front having coffee in the morning, amazing. Would most definitely consider staying again when back in Northern Ireland.

Date of stay: July 2018
27 Aug 2018
Thank you for your lovely review. We really enjoyed meeting you and I’m so glad you were able to see the Island at it’s best. We hope you will stay with us again.
Lorna M
“Beautiful location BUT”
Reviewed August 12, 2018 for a stay in August 2018
people found this review helpful

Stayed a few nights and unfortunately we had to clean cobwebs and spiders away which were everywhere hoover floor and wash all plates cups cutlery etc. before we could use them, bit sad as it could be a wonderful place if it was just given a spruce up. Bit pricey for what you get. Sorry about review but this was in agreement with other friends who stayed.

Date of stay: August 2018
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
27 Aug 2018
I am sorry that I did not meet you for your stay. I always try to meet my guests but on this occasion I was away briefly. Prior to your stay I employed a cleaning company who, I have subsequently heard, sent in two young girls who were quite clearly not up to the job. My sincere apologies for the spiders etc and I will not be using them again.
Jackie W
“Boathouse in a tranquil location with beautiful views”
Reviewed July 20, 2018 for a stay in June 2018

We stayed at the Boathouse in June for a week and were fortunate to enjoy perfect summer weather to enjoy the long days and sunsets. We were visiting for a wedding and it was lovely to relax at the Boathouse and enjoy the peace and quiet. Recommend a walk around the island, only takes 20-25 minutes but lovely views from the walking trail.

Date of stay: June 2018
25 Jul 2018
Thank you for your very kind review. I’m glad you enjoyed the walking on Sketrick and that the weather was so good for you. We hope to see you again.
Carol K
“Beautiful location. Accomodation is a bit rough around the edges.”
Reviewed July 16, 2018 for a stay in July 2018
people found this review helpful

I have to be honest in my review.

Stayed here for 2 nights recently. Overall you cannot fault location and scenery. First impressions of the accomodation was very good...it was just when you started to use it as you would self catering accomodation I was a little disappointed.

I went with family and we were cooking dinner both nights. We soon discovered there was no microwave available to use even though listed on TripAdvisor as available. First morning we realised the toaster didn't work so we have to heat up the massive grill to toast some bread each morning.

The bannister on the stairs was coming away from the wall. Also the beds are very soft! And the double one felt like it was going to break every time I lay on it. The velux blind we pulled down on the first night couldn't be returned to open for rest of stay and main bedroom was very stuffy. Did not sleep very well for my stay.

Bathroom is very small ESP for 6ft men as it has slanted roof. Also toliet isn't screwed very well to the floor as it moved eveytime you stood up.

This place has so much potential and looks the part in photos but didn't meet my expectations. Cleanliness was good...apart from cultery drawer and oven rack!

I had read such amazing reviews and 5stars so felt let down. Location 5star house 3 star.

C

Date of stay: July 2018
14 Aug 2018
Thank you for your review it is very useful in helping us continue to provide a first class service to our guests. First, with apologies, there is a new toaster and fully functioning microwave. Second it was unusually warm this summer. We were so lucky but I can appreciate it was uncomfortable at times. The new fan will help if our summers are as good again.
The twin beds are new and expensive but I’m sorry you found them soft. The double bed will be checked. The lavatory seat is repaired and two loose screws replaced on the bannister rail. Again, thank you for letting us know so we were able to fix these things.
KAZZYKAZ
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Room with a view...”
Reviewed April 27, 2018 for a stay in April 2018

How to sum up The Boat house..... "A Hidden Gem".....tucked away......with only the sound off the water lapping and the birds in the trees.
We as four women stayed last Saturday and once we arrived we just knew it was gonna be heaven. We squealed like little kids running from room to room....as the more we explored the more we fell in love with the Boat house.
It didn't take long to settle into our home for the night, we touched very lucky as the weather was fab, so we sat outside in the sun sipping a drink, catching up and watching the sun go down. It truly was beautiful.
I can honestly say I slept like a baby and woke up with the gorgeous view.....our only negative was that we didn't book for two nights!
Thus we are already planning dates to return and really can't wait.
Everyone should experience the Boat house, a beautiful home in a magical setting.
Thank you Lindy for a wonderful stay, we look forward to re visiting.
Best regards Karen, Roisin, Anne Marie and Diane x

Date of stay: April 2018
7 May 2018
Thank you for such a lovely review. It was just great having you all to stay and I’m glad the weather was kind and you were able to enjoy the lough at it’s best. I hope you will all come back and visit us soon.
ballylee2...
Letterkenny, Ireland
“Magical”
Reviewed April 1, 2018 for a stay in March 2018
person found this review helpful

We decided to stay at the boathouse on our usual Easter break. The aim was to explore Co Down. Everything was very close so the location halfway between Mount Stewart and Castle Ward was ideal. From the moment we arrived, it was relaxing and I have to say magical. My wife and I could do nothing but smile. The view stretching across Strangford Lough, the stresses of work evaporate. Even at night it is great, watching the Lough in the moonlight. The children had great time skimming stone across the water.
5min walk will talk you to Daft Eddies for a great meal.
Less than 10min drive will get you to Balloo House, and Poachers Pocket- top class restaurants. Salty dog in Bangor is really worth a visit. We even got to Dundrum, for Mourne seafood bar.
The boathouse is something special and the measure of how good,is that we did not want to leave.

Date of stay: March 2018
2 Apr 2018
Thank you both for such a lovely review. I am so glad that you found so many places that make this area very special. It was lovely to see the children enjoying the treats at the waters edge and I hope you will all come back very soon .
vandawool...
London, United Kingdom
“Stunning views from an immaculate and beautifully furnished boathouse”
Reviewed January 8, 2018 for a stay in December 2017

Very relaxing stay with stunning mesmerising view in all weathers across Strangford Lough yet still only half an hour from Belfast and the infamous stunning Daft Eddy's bar/restaurant a short shore-walk away, and Lindy was a very relaxed accommodating host who lives nearby. I've stayed in countless holiday lets, and this was immaculate and a luxurious home from home. On a practical note, 'Centra' supermarket in Killinchy is only short drive away for amenities.

Date of stay: December 2017
13 Jan 2018
What lovely comments thank you! We loved having you to stay and I hope we see you again very soon. Glad you mentioned Centra - itt's recently refurbished and a great addition.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing