“Not quite and never will be.”

Craig Millar @ 16 West End
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in St Monans
Price range: US$22 - US$95
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2018

Firstly. Like Craig Millar I'm not really bothered, or interested in reading caustic spiteful or negative replies to my reviews on Tripadvisor. He should be, however, because with only 90% satisfaction at the end of the market he attempts to be at then word will travel soon I guess, that the Chip Van we saw on the way into St Monan's might be a better option.

I'd dearly love to say something positive about my trip. Maybe that the dog had a better time int he car gazing out over the beautiful harbour with gulls swirling down every now and then to relieve his boredom

For I was certainly bored. Bored with the ancient tired decor and the very poor staff trying oh so hard to be polite but only ending up being patronising and rude when queried.

I won't go on and on to tell of how disappointed I was in the food. The only hot dish of my meal was served lukewarm and would have been more at home in the now to be defunct meals on wheals or maybe even school dinners. Yes small enough for a primary school child or a very ageing Mother. On Mother's day if she was lucky enough to have been served before the food ran out ( see a previous review ).

No I won't say anything mean about the food as maybe my own experience was coloured by the fact that my Gluten Free Desert had not been catered for. Chef Millar had only had a month or more to prepare this and we were told when ordering that "The Chocolate Desert was Gluten free", only to be told later that the chef had made all the bases etc in the afternoon and that hey were all with gluten and that my Desert would have to be just the topping ,no base. So that left me with no desert and not even offered ice-cream. No! Only thing that I was offered was the cheese board with the £6.00 supplement. Now whatever Craig says in his other replies. That is passing off or stealing

By and large this was the approach to all courses. "We can take the Gluten bits out"
No dishes prepared with gluten sensitivity in mind. I would not advise anyone with serious intolerance to ever eat there due to the obvious issues with cross contamination.
The gluten free bread that they did serve before the starter came on the same plate as the wheat bread. Say no more.

All in all a hugely disappointing experience. Again in another review or on Twitter or somewhere. I see that Craig Millar spends fourteen hours a day in that awful place in St Monan's. I just think how sad and he really should get out more if he is ever going to improve his rather dated business.

4  Thank dithering
ccm71, Guest Relations Manager at Craig Millar @ 16 West End, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2018

I assume you never got a window table then?

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

Another lovely lunch here at Craig Millar. Delicious food in a delightful setting! Very busy for lunch today, but did not reflect in the excellant service from all serving staff!
As usual we had the twice baked cheese soufflé to start, it was perfection!
My husband had the cod and couscous and I had the featherblade, it melted in the mouth, both meals were most enjoyable.
We live some distance away but the trip is worth it to eat here.

1  Thank daytripper9
Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

Drinks in cosy coal fired bar followed by excellent food in restaurant with views of waves crashing on the harbour wall. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Jwmbev
Reviewed March 29, 2018 via mobile

Great seafood, imaginatively cooked and presented. Excellent, interesting wine list and a lovely view overlooking St Monans port and the Firth of Forth. Worth a detour from practically anywhere in Scotland!

Date of visit: September 2017
4  Thank guyhparis
Reviewed March 24, 2018 via mobile

The food was really good. I had the fish with a satay sauce and a date pudding and it was delicious. I would‘ve preferred something vegetarian but it was nothing on the day menu. They offered me to ask in the kitchen and do something for me, but that’s not the same as eating a nice well prepared dish so I decided to eat the fish. It would be nice to have some vegan nice dishes.