All reviewsguest houseother guestshonesty barthe east coastget awaya lovely stayopen airair conditioningexplore the islandceiling fansoup bowlanimal flower cavesound of the wavesbreakfast and dinneratlantis hotelthe atlantic oceanself catering
Reviewed November 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed here at the end of April - early May 2011 for ~1 week. We had a wonderful time just relaxing on the deck, reading, drinking rum punches and watching the ocean. We had their dinner a couple of times which was very good and a great way to meet the other guests. I like their honor system for grabbing a drink or a small snack (just log it into a book). The frogs are LOUD at night and the birds in the morning. Will definitely come back...

Room Tip: We had the corner room (#4?) in the Main house which I liked because we had the hammock in that corner and you have one less neighbor. The rooms upstairs are larger and you require a key to open the gate that leads upstairs (I was hoping to take pictures of the ocean from upstairs). The rooms further down are air-conditioned.
Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aldin124
Reviewed November 2, 2011

What a wonderful place to stay! Everyone in Barbados is so friendly especially at the Sea-U. It is a fantastic colonial style house, we stayed in Owner Suite 1 which was fabulous, such a comfy bed (rare!) and swinging in the hammock on the balcony with a rum punch was perfect.

Lovely casual breakfast and a very reasonably priced excellent homecooked 3 course dinner which was a lovely way to meet the other guests, quite a few of whom were on honeymoon. We are vegetarian (no fish) and were surprised at how easy it was to find suitable food on the island, they were very accomodating at the Sea-U, loved the stuffed Christophine. Seacat is a real character - reminded us of Chris Rock :0) and will give you fresh coconuts with a straw to drink the refreshing coconut water (good for the kidneys apparently!), even better when they've been in the fridge. Also Mrs Thompson, the local taxi driver/tour guide who knows everyone on the island.

There is an hourly bus service but to explore the whole island you really need a car. We're hired a moke which was fairly cheap and fun. Don't miss the wildlife reserve, it is amazing.

The only disadvantage is that as it was out of season it is a little remote with only 3 other places to eat locally (2 a short drive) that are not open every night but actually if you want to get away from it all this is not a bad thing and the menu at the Sea-U changes every night. Also make sure you take your mosquito repellant.

We are definitely going back, hopefully in the not too distant future! Thank you to Andrea, Stacia, Seacat and Jo-Ann (I think was the hard working cook) for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: The room was very spacious, more than we needed. We would have been happy downstairs in the main house too. No air con but not needed due to the sea breeze and ceiling fan. Take ear plugs if you want to block out the crashing waves and chirping locusts at night. We prefered the main house to the cottages as they are further away.
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Up and downs at this lovely place. A gem to have quite hours and relax. The surroundings at the unspoilt coast are beautiful and quite. Walking, surfing and reading (at the huge balcony) are the things to do here (as swimming is too dangerous in the high waves and there is no swimming pool at the spot).

Some suggestions for walks:
1) South-East. Pass the Atlantis Hotel and follow the small path directly at the coast line. You will experience a kind a path all the way up through the beautiful green landscape with awesome views on the boulders in the sea. After half a hour you will find a small bay where you are able to enter the water. Enjoy here or continue. After another half a hour there is again a beach area, this time with a small café/restaurant. You either walk the same way back or return via the main road which is quite hilly.
2) North. Walk to the small village of Bathsheba and continue you walk on the coast. Climb over rocks and stones. We returned after a hour via the main road and had a nice drink at the Round tower restaurant. Both walks were fun!

We enjoyed taking the bus (2$ pp – 50 minutes) to Brigdetown and Speightstown (40 minutes) and the contact with the very friendly, local people. The bus connections were very reliable and we were impressed about how clear directions were in the bus stations.

We less enjoyed the food and atmosphere in the restaurant of Sea-U. We had diner twice but experienced both times as a ‘meal without a soul’. Both taste wise as well as the service. Extremely enjoyable however was having lunch or diner at the Atlantis hotel next door, which we highly recommend. Wonderful dishes and excellent wine.

Another less positive factor was the non reliable internet connection in the B&B that was out of order many times. This happened often outside reception hours with a result of waiting long hours. Reception service was basic. Professional friendly but not something special. Also somewhat strange that during a 8 night stay in a hot, humid climate the bed linnen was not changed once. In conclusion; despite small aspects to improve we enjoyed our stay as a whole and recharged our batteries.

3  Thank JAEMH
UschiW, Owner at ECO Lifestyle & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Dear Reviewer,

We appreciate the time you took out to post your review, I’m glad you found the area and the property at the guest house beautiful and relaxing. We take pleasure in making our guest feel comfortable.

I’d like to take to moment to address a few of your complaints, first let me apologize if your expectations were not entirely met during your stay with us and I have shared your concerns with the staff.

The situation with the wifi was entirely out of our control. We did explain to you and all our guest that the local service provider is upgrading the network and as such was experiencing some drop in internet service especially during the night. Other hotels and private residences in the area also had service issues.

The linens here are changed every three days as standard and sooner If necessary. I have investigated this and was told your linens were changed additionally, it was noticed that you left the property most of the days early before reception opened. Housekeeping found your linens almost every day removed from the bed hanging outside in public over the patio railing and the pillows on the patio floor. The sheets were changed and the pillows washed.

We are glad that the small problem did not ruin your vacation and certainly look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

my wife and I went to Sea-U Guest House for a little RnR while in Barbados for our honeymoon. We normally stay on the west coast of the island in St James, but wanted a respite from the crowds and tourists.

Well, this is certainly the place to unwind and be at one with your thoughts and the friendly staff at Sea-U guest house. A perfect slice of paradise with the perfect hosts and hostesses.

Thank you so much for taking care of us during our stay, and we will certainly be back to enjoy more time with you.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

We loved the hotel, the vibe, the east coast, and the friendly atmosphere. We really liked the breakfast and the supper eating arrangements where you get to dine with the other guests. I didn't think I'd like the supper get togethers but it quickly made me a fan as we met some wonderful people. My wife and I also liked the honor bar where we could just grab a drink whenever in the mood and the cost was very reasonable. They have a very good rum punch already made. We loved Bathsheba, the tidal pools, and nearby Hunte's Garden which is a must see. There's actually quite a bit to see on the east coast with other attractions too. I would recommend this hotel but with one caveat and that is the lack of air conditioning or a swimming pool. Normally it may not be much of an issue but we were there during a tropical weather wave and it got quite muggy. As we stayed only 3 days it wasn't a huge deal but if I had to stay for a week it could be more of an issue. This place isn't for everybody but if you want to feel the old Barbados, meet some great Bajans, and enjoy what the east coast offers I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple