This is a great place to relax. If you are expecting casinos and nightclubs, then this is not the island for you. However, to relax, snorkel, scuba, fish, etc this is a great place. The hotel is pretty isolated. There isn't really anywhere that you can easily walk to. The closest store would be a pretty long bike ride and up a long hill to get back to the resort.
The airport is nearby and the hotel picked us up complimentary, though they called a cab for our return. The beach right at the resort is great to relax on and has hammocks and chairs available. However, the water is VERY rocky, and although you can wade around a bit with shoes on, you would be ill advised to try to venture off the rocks for a swim. There is also a tidal pool where sea water fills and drains from a section of carved out rock. very cool. There are also regular swimming pools scattered around the property.
The hotel posts each day's activities on a bulletin board in advance so guests who are interested in a variety of things including trips to more swim at friendly beaches can sign up.
The owners and staff went our of their way to accommodate us. We told them that we would like to try the cave tour and possibly do some snorkeling. They added this for the next day and combined it with some other guests who had similar interests so that we can share a bus ride to the other end of the island. A couple days later we discussed doing some shopping with some of the other guests that we met and again the staff made it happen, by arranging one of their employees to bus us around to various shops. They even gave us a bonus with a trip to the plantation and included some rum punch and snacks for no charge!
We stayed in the hotel section of the property. They also have cottages/bungalows. There are no locks on the rooms here and the hotel will store your valuables in a paper envelope which tape shut and sign across. Drinking water if you need it comes out of a fountain near the check in desk. There is free wireless internet available near the front desk
There are bars around the property where you can order burgers, sandwiches, and such. Again the staff were very pleasant and friendly. The real gem is the main hotel restaurant. We had pretty low expectations for a resort that is so remote. However, we were amazed each night as the dinner menu had good variety and the tastes were amazing. Coming from Atlanta where only the best restaurants can survive, we could not believe how delicious and well prepared the food was here at Stella Maris! Their chef is really something special!!
Stella Maris Resort offers relaxation, a willingness to do whatever possible to meets your needs, an excellent restaurant, and locals who are very friendly to tourists.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stella Maris Resort Club,is off the beaten path. On a tranquil island, where nature abounds, where the ocean and beaches are at their best, with an unhurried pace of life and with islanders, much known for their old-fashioned hospitality and friendliness.We are an intimate out island style resort, offering a wide range of tropical accommodations, from panoramic ocean view rooms to appealing four bedroom water front villas. Food is great, as is casual evening fun. Many activities are free of charge. We can even fly you here from your international Bahamas airport hub. It's a place for anyone who seeks to get away from every-day's stress, who loves nature, who loves being at and in the water. From singles to couples, from families to small groups. And there is no better place for a romantic island wedding, barefoot or elegant, or for celebrating your anniversary! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Priceline, getaroom.com and Travelocity.ca so you can book your Stella Maris Resort Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stella Maris Resort Club Hotel Long Island
- Stella Maris Hotel
- Stella Maris Resort Club Bahamas/Long Island