“True Hawaii”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kipahulu
Ala'aina Ocean Vista
Ranked #1 of 1 Kipahulu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We were fortunate to have made our way back to Ala aina for the 4th time.  This time we were celebrating  our 5th anniversary .

We thought we would finally explore all the places that we didn't get enough of the last
time,  but found  why venture out when it doesn't get any better than
this in paradise; but did manage to hit to several of our most favorite spots.

We were exhausted when we arrived but had the most comfortable sleep on the king-sized
bed with the ocean breezes coming in our windows.  We had a fan but didn't even need
to use it . Slept late every day and were totally rejuvenated when we left.

Breakfast on our large deck was glorious.  We had a  leisurely breakfast of fresh
basil-olive bread,  eggs, Hawaiian Passion Fruit drinks, fresh fruit from Sam and Mercury's
wonderful orchard and Kona Coffee.  My husband even went the extra mile and added herbs
from the garden to our meals.

Sam and Mercury are always so helpful  and accommodating they  made us feel like "home away from home".

We loved the kissing geckos on the screen outside as they are good luck and are fun to watch.

Again we were surprised not to see any bugs as they use an exterminator service on
a regular basis.

Hopefully we will be able to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
27  Thank lucindausher

Reviewed 4 May 2013

To me, This is the best place to stay in Maui. I know when I arrive that I will be tasting the real flavor of Maui, as well as have beautiful views and a wonderful place to do my five mile walk (walking on a road oceanside with majestic views) Fantastic ! and go to special waterfalls and basically live island life. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to have this offered to me in the exclusive Kipahulu town. I even walk to the bamboo forest and 7 pools from the B&B. The only negative is to be sure to stop at Mana (healthy food at great prices) in Paia for food before you come as the closest store is 30 minutes away. I appreciate that both Sam and Mercury help me to feel so at home. When I came back this time it was like a reunion with family. I appreciate
their care and sweetness.

Room Tip: This is a special B&B that only has "us" as a guest, very island style. It has beautif...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
28  Thank Tashidheleg
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Oh boy, where do I begin?? Read the bad reviews, and they paint an accurate picture of this place. Yes, it's a beautiful property situated in a wonderful, secluded area of the island, run by a mother and daughter who are kind and pleasant AT FIRST (more on that in a bit). But, that's where the positive points end. Factor in the lousy futon mattress to sleep on, the tiny room, the "private" outdoor tub which is in clear view of the rest of the house, the paper-thin walls which allow every word, noise, and footstep to enter your room, the nearly nonexistent "breakfast" part of the whole "bed and BREAKFAST" thing (stale croissants in a ziploc bag with a 6-pack of Sunny D), the stifling heat which converts your room into an oven with nary a fan to ease the suffering and finally, the intensely painful bite of the massive centipede (scolopendra subspinipes, look it up) that lives behind the pillow waking me up in screaming pain, and the subsequent 180° attitude change of Sam the owner when we told her we were sorely disappointed and would like a refund for the second night for which we declined to stay. This was, hands down, the worst bed & breakfast stay I have ever suffered through.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank donvee
hanabedandbreakfast, Owner at Ala'aina Ocean Vista, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

First and foremost... I am not sure what your motives are to say things like this? Especially since you stayed May 2012, and then chose to review on April 29, 2013. You have been with TripAdvisor since 2008 and should know that contributing "current" content (or recent events regarding your stay) is critical to a fair and honest review. This is necessary so that any details or events, you mention in a review, are as recent as possible, so that they are fresh in one's memory and are not potentially exaggerated, confused or convoluted from the past.

With that said, I am confident that the events and details, in your extremely delayed review, are exaggerated. I would like to respond with some facts...

1.) I have not served Sunny D for over 3 years. I serve "Aloha" brand juices.

2.) I have not served Croissants in over 3 years. I serve either bagels, muffins and currently a basil olive bread loaf from a local bakery.

3.) I have a contract with a professional pest-control service (in it 3rd year) who comes once a month to treat the property and the inside of all dwellings.

4.) You were NOT bitten by a centipede. If you "were" bitten by a centipede you certainly never alerted me to this. But, for the sake of logic, let's just use your "claim" where you said, "the walls are paper-thin". Which is not true, but is useful for the sake of this response. However... if your claim were true... I would have certainly heard your "screaming pain" in the middle of the night and known about this incident. Wouldn't I? But the truth is... it never happened and you never told me of any such incident the following day.

5.) I believe in making my guests happy and take great pride in doing so. Should the event ever arise that a guest wishes not to stay... I would always refund them for any unused nights. What would be the logic in forcing someone to stay who is unhappy? And why would I want to keep their monies, making them even more unhappy?

6.) in your review, you did not mention that you received a refund. Why? How would providing you a refund for the night you chose not to stay be referred to as a "180° attitude change"?

6.) The only truths are, you both were unhappy and you wanted a refund the next day, which you received. And at that time, you never mentioned any of the claims you have mentioned in your delayed review.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

We really enjoyed Sam and Mercury's B&B accommodation. Peaceful, serene ocean view property, with a very clean, updated, and fun living space -- outdoor kitchen, outdoor bathtub and shower (if you choose) with a lovely indoor bathroom as well, pretty herb gardens and landscaping all around. We especially enjoyed keeping the windows open to enjoy the ocean breezes and listen to the rain softly hitting the roof. Sam gave us excellent advice on where to go and what to see -- waterfalls, pools, hikes, views, drives -- and we thoroughly enjoyed our two-day stay. The nearest restaurants are in Hana -- there's only a few and we found only one open for dinner. So before you hit the Hana Highway, stop for groceries and cook for yourself when you arrive. If you want a peaceful setting, a little seclusion, close-up nature, and a lot of Maui all to yourself, this is the place!

26  Thank Shelly K
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We had an amazing time in Hana! The owners gave us some great recommendations for activities and the property itself is beautiful. The outdoor kitchen and BBQ are a lot of fun! Great location b/c its close to a lot of the major Hana "attractions" and a short drive from downtown. Bring food with you, the fridge is small so bring a cooler too.

24  Thank hiker2345
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This B&B was the perfect place to spend our last few days (of 24), on Maui. It's gardens, status, outdoor tub and shower (there's one inside, too), the floral arrangements, the outdoor cooking facilities and the view, was like Heaven. But, heaven doesn't have a grocery store, so if your going to spend more than an evening here, and they tell you, buy your food in Kahului or Hana before you do this drive. This quaint little hide-away is all one needs, enabling you to visit the many beaches and attractions. Sam and Mercury are gracious hosts and have a list of things to do in the area, 2 of which we had not been to in past visits, Venus Pool and Alelele Falls. We also went on a horseback trek to the towering Waimoku Falls, with Maui Stables near Charles Lindbergh's grave. On our way to Kahului we found the ancient Hawaii ruins of Pi'ilanihale Heiau. We will go back, there's still more to see. Mahalo and Aloha, Sam and Mercury.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
27  Thank lindalee1234
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Hana is one of the great end of the road places to find the real Hawaii. And if the beauty and magic of Hana had a name it would be Sam and Mercury and their beautiful spot they will share with you. beautiful grounds to wander full of tropical splendor the real Hawaii awaits here. As a resort owner in the Caribbean myself I know how much care both Sam and Mercury make your stay completely private but work behind the scenes to make it carefree. More like having your own Hawaiian Estate then a typical B@B literally your own resort. Great Value and spectacular setting make this THE choice and stay at least 3 nights to soak it all in. Thanks highlight of our Honeymoon . James@ Kelly

26  Thank James M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kipahulu
12.3 km away
Ho'oilo House
#2 of 11 in Lahaina
9.4 km away
Hana Oceanfront Cottages

Been to Ala'aina Ocean Vista? Share your experiences!