“Beautiful B&B in the tropics of Maui!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kipahulu
Ala'aina Ocean Vista
Ranked #1 of 1 Kipahulu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2017

A wonderful and private little hideaway just past the Seven Sacred Pools. Beautiful views, peaceful nights, clean and welcoming. Remember you are in the middle of the jungle, with sounds and wildlife, but that only endeared us more. A gorgeous property and really fun to cook in the outdoor kitchen and live "off the grid". Organic eggs,organic butter, fresh grown fruit and bagels provided to make your breakfasts with and all kitchen supplies. We brought things to prepare for dinner, and it helped to have meat ( if you're bringing) cooked and cut up for quick prep as there are two gas burners with cast iron pans to cook and no oven. (There is a charcoal BBQ though.) Worked out great for us! Loved the place and Sam and her daughter are very friendly and helpful. Will go back again anytime we are lucky enough to be in Maui.

Room Tip: one room only
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

It served our purpose of spending the last three nights of our Maui vacation in a secluded location on the Road to Hana. The grounds were beautiful, well-planted, two ocean views, bright green grass (thanks to the rain!)
The accommodation was a little unusual, with no indoor seating, just an area at the top of the bed to sit and read or watch television. The outdoor deck worked well, with simple cooking on a two burner stove, fridge, and supplies for coffee and tea in the mornings.
There was no service during our stay, which meant the garbage containers were overflowing.
Great shower, large enough for two persons.
All in all, it was a suitable location for exploring the area and for our peaceful last days of this visit.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2017

We stayed for 2 nights in February 2017, and I really wish we had stayed longer. My Mom and Dad stayed here in 2013 and recommended it to us. The bedroom is large enough to store your gear and still have space and the back of the bed is set up with pillows so you can sit and read leaning back on the pillows. The bathroom was comfortable and we had plenty of hot water when we showered. We had everything we needed to cook breakfast (bagels, PB&J, butter, eggs, Aloha Maid, coffee, sugar, creamer) and simple dinners on the 2 burner gas stove. Since it is probably 30 min past Hana, I would recommend cooking your dinners and not planning on eating out. They also supply olive oil and other cooking oils. The kitchen is outside on the lanai and fully covered by the overhanging roof. In the morning I would sip my coffee while reading on the porch chairs. I have read some of the negative reviews of this place, and it seems that what some people didn't like are the exact reasons that I loved this place. I loved sleeping in the bed surrounded by screened windows on 2 sides. You can see the stars, feel the breeze, and hear the frogs. I found the bed quite comfortable, and it was comfortably cool at night. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous with amazing views of the ocean and the mountains. It was incredibly peaceful. We felt like it was very private and did not mind that the room is attached on 1 side to Mercury's house. To me, it had everything that I want in a vacation: remote, quiet, stars...things I usually only find, say, camping in the middle of Utah...except that we were sleeping in a real bed with a real bathroom and a kitchen. So, be honest with yourself before you stay here, if you are a diva and want to style your hair and say "ew" if you see an animal, then try the Four Seasons :) Geckos are adorable by the way. A little more useful info: We left from Kahului on our B&B arrival day about 11am and managed to see all the sights we wanted up until Wai'anapanapa State Park, and then had to drive straight to make it before dark to the B&B. On our middle day, we backtracked to Wai'anapanapa and worked our way back toward the B&B making it until before the Kipahulu region of Haleakala NP. On our departure day, we backtracked slightly to Haleakala NP and did the hikes there. Finally, we drove around the South side of the island back to Kihei. It is true that this B&B is fairly far around when you are coming clockwise, but there are multiple days worth of sights within 1 hour drive in both directions. I do recommend driving around the South once you leave Ala'aina, and Sam will recommend that you do as well. If you made it to Ala'aina I don't think the rest of the road is much different and there is far less traffic. In short, we loved this place and highly recommend staying here.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sarahellen_Boston
Reviewed 26 February 2017

I wish that I had read all the 3 star reviews first so I could have been more prepared on what to expect. The picture is of a lovely home but your small room is the lower half where the stair case is. One of the owners lives next door and even though the blinds are closed I felt like I was invading space. I didn't realize that the kitchen and seating area was outdoors on the deck. The dishes and utensils are not covered so we had to wash everything before using when making breakfasts. I will say it was very nice that the owners provides breakfast items and fruity soft drinks for your convenience. We weren't planning to cook our meals and ate our other meals in Hana (40-45 minute drive away).

I knew the home was solar powered but I didn't realized that meant no hair appliances could be used. There wasn't any closet or shelf space so you had to pull things from your suitcase.

The trade winds picked up at night when we were there and the screened window in the bathroom was broken so window came open. There were extra blankets for cooler nights so we were fine. If you need to get up in the middle of the night, be prepared to crawl over your partner, to get out of bed since the bed is flushed against the wall.

This room just wasn't my style. I prefer to stay in Hana next time.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank p0rt0bell0
Reviewed 22 February 2017

What a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle for a couple of nights. Great little outdoor kitchen and views of the ocean from everywhere. The fresh fruit provided each day was amazing. You'll love it!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Randy C
Reviewed 5 February 2017

We chose to take the road to Hana, and Kipahulu, at the end of our Hawaiian experience. What a treat. When you are tired of the resort experience at Lahaina, Wailea, and Kahului, then book a few nights at Ala'Aina Ocean Vista in Kipahulu to rejuvinate, let the soul relax, and enjoy a view that is completely delightful. We watched small rain squalls move across the Pacific, a humpback mother and calf practise breaching, and turned around on the balcony to witness a double rainbow framing the flanks of Haleakala with the end of the rainbow dipping down into the cove just down the road (which cannot be seen). Borderline magical. The accommodations are classic hawaii; we slept with the windows open to let the breeze flow through the room and to listen to the waves break on the coast line below. I could have stayed a couple of more nights. Oh yeah, bring some groceries so you can cook out on the balcony and there are plenty of places to go see to fill the days. That is if you can get yourself off the balcony while taking in that view.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2016

Just returned from spending 4 nights at the lovely Ala'Aina Ocean Vista. This place is just what we were looking for, off-grid, beautiful surroundings and great hosts! Wonderful location for exploring Haleakala National Park, Seven Pools, other waterfalls and, of course, the spectacular black and red sand beaches. Sam & Mercury have furnished the place with everything you could imagine, considering all the needs of their guests. Plenty of eggs, butter, bagels and fresh fruit daily. Gorgeous Balinese decor (inside/out) with fantastic ocean views from the lanai where we cooked several meals and enjoyed cocktails in the fairy rain. We could not have dreamed of a better time in this area with such hard-working, gracious & fun hosts!

Mahalo and blessings Sam & Mercury :)

Room Tip: Stock up on food and drink before driving towards Hana. Few good food trucks, only 2 restaurants, po...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kipahulu
12.3 km away
Ho'oilo House
#2 of 11 in Lahaina
9.4 km away
Hana Oceanfront Cottages

Been to Ala'aina Ocean Vista? Share your experiences!