All reviews outdoor kitchen seven sacred pools fresh fruit bed and breakfast waimoku falls star fruit gracious hosts night sounds garden of eden a fantastic place to stay own meals our honeymoon the big island close proximity beautiful property mercury hana
Reviewed February 5, 2010

Our three day stay at the Ala'aina Ocean Vista was an experience we will always treasure. The fabulous setting offers ocean views in two directions and the grounds and gardens are lovingly maintained. The freshly picked tropical fruits, exotic flowers, and the birds all stimulate the senses and provide a wonderful escape into another world. We were delighted with our outdoor kitchen which lacked for nothing, and we greatly appreciated all of Sam's detailed advice on what sorts of food to bring. Best of all was the outdoor shower and tub! We wish we could have stayed longer. Sam and Mercury were wonderful hosts showing us all we needed and then leaving us to enjoy their little bit of heaven. We would love to go back again!

Date of stay: January 2010
17  Thank Travelsnorkel
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Found this charming B and B in Fodor's boo. Off the beaten path in Hana, Maui. Actually a detached room off a larger house owned by Mercury and Sam (mother, daughter team). Set on some spectacular gardens about 9 miles from Hana. The place was charming and private. Large selection of popular movies and kitchenette on deck. Could see whales from bed. Place was slightly hard to find so bring directions. Bed was a little soft but overall it was well worth the stay. Great fresh fruit in the morning. Also a little remote, no restaurants nearby. Either need to bring food to grill or eat in Hana before driving for night.

Date of stay: December 2009
18  Thank knowlej
Reviewed November 23, 2009

My partner and I just returned from two wonderful nights spent at the Ala'aina and couldn't be happier. If you are looking for a peaceful, relaxing and unique place to stay, with ocean and sunset views, this is the place for you. Sam and Mercury could not have been more welcoming or gracious - we were delighted to find starfruit, papaya, avocado and lilikoi in baskets from the yard. While somewhat of a drive from Hana town (especially at night), it is the perfect location to explore the bamboo forest, seven sacred pools, and all the adventure the surrounding areas had to offer. Sam was wonderful to provide a list of recommended sights in the area to check out, they were all wonderful.

We drove the Hana highway in, happy to have left Pa'ai in the afternoon as to avoid most of the traffic. We took the other way home, which was so different but beautiful and an opportunity to explore different geography of the island. As with nearly anywhere you stay in Hana, you need to come prepared with food if you are not planning on going to one of the very few restaurants in town. The one grocery store has VERY FEW options so I'd suggest picking up some fresh fish or something to grill, a bbq and outdoor kitchenette are provided. If you are the type of traveler who enjoys hanging out at a resort with people serving you drinks, this might not be the place for you. If you are looking for a magical taste of real Hawaii, with waterfalls, fresh fruit, lush landscape and caring hosts, this is the place for you.
We also loved the king size BED (not futon, mr crankypants) surrounded by the views, my only suggestion would be investing in some top quality bed linens... although maybe then no one would ever leave. Mahalo.

Date of stay: November 2009
17  Thank Wandrearound
Reviewed October 31, 2009

We stayed 3 nights at Sam and Mercury's B&B, which is 8 miles outside Hana. We loved it! The room was beautiful. The setting is peaceful with ocean views on 2 sides. We woke up every morning with the sunrise and the ocean breezes.

The location was amazing. The B&B is 2 miles from beautiful waterfalls, the 7 Sacred Pools, and the Maui Stables.

Mercury and Sam were amazing, really nice and helpful. Yet we felt like we were completely alone and had total privacy. We were greeted with fresh flowers and an amazing array of fresh fruit. Sam even threw in a much needed tutorial on how to cut the various fruits. Making dinner on the lanai was so much fun.

Date of stay: October 2009
17  Thank Dallaschica
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I came to Maui for a solo trip in September 2009. I had lived in West Maui for three years in the late '90's, but had never explored the remote east side of the island beyond Hana. Packing a swimsuit, mask, snorkel, shorts, a few t-shirts and my watercolor paints, I landed in Kahului, got my rental car, and prepared for a 3-night adventure off the grid in paradise at Ala 'Aina in Kipahulu.

I chose Ala 'Aina after reading all the reviews for hotels and guest houses in Hana. It fit my needs perfectly - I wanted a private, quiet, comfortable, serene and well-located spot to de-stress and re-connect with nature. I badly wanted to visit 'Oheo Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools), swiim in clear freshwater streams, contemplate some waterfalls and hike through bamboo forests. As my flight arrived in the late afternoon, I decided to stay my first night in Paia on Maui's north shore, and get an early start on the infamous Road to Hana the next morning.

THE DRIVE: If you do not plan to stop and sightsee along the way, or if you get carsick, take the Pi'ilani Highway (31) through Ulupalakua to Kipahulu and Ala 'Aina. When I set out on the road the next day, I was so excited to get to Kipahulu I decided not to take the winding, traffic-choked Highway to Hana, and after stopping at Mana Foods natural grocery in Paia to stock up for my stay (bring a cooler -- you can buy cheap ones in town), I headed up Baldwin Road to catch Hwy. 31 around the back side of Haleakala. I stopped at Grandma's Coffee House in Keokea for some homegrown java, always delicious. Back in the car, I passed lovely, green Ulupalakua (Oprah has an estate here- she's onto something), and soon I had passed the rain line and was in the dry, volcanic, windswept beauty of Maui's desolate south shore. I passed only two or three other cars the entire 70-minute drive to Kipahulu. Following Sam's directions, I easily found Ala 'Aina and arrived fresh and ready for my first adventure. Note: The rental car companies try to scare people into thinking that the back road to Hana is only for the brave or insane, but the truth is, the road is in excellent condition for most of its length, is very lightly used, and is technically "improved" its entire length, even if the last 7 or 8 miles is graded dirt & gravel. It is also MUCH, MUCH easier and safer IMO to drive (as long as you follow the posted speed limits) and is a faster trip than the main "highway to Hana." If you or anyone in your car suffers from motion sickness, it's not even a question - take the back road.

Sam and her daughter Mercury were a comforting presence my entire stay, and provided thoughtful and unobtrusive hospitality. They know most of their guests prefer to be left alone, but they are readily available if you have any questions, want a bit of advice, or just someone to talk to. They made sure I was happy and comfortable. By the end of my stay I felt like I had made two new friends.

Ala "Aina (and all of Kipahulu) is off-the-grid, meaning the electricity is home-made. They use solar cells to generate power from sunshine, and store the excess in a bank of marine batteries for use at night. I was curious about the house's solar power system, so Mercury gave me a tour of the setup and explained the battery storage and energy-saving methods they employ to live comfortably off the grid. When I turned on the TV and VHS player each night to watch a movie, I felt good knowing the power came from the sun just a few hours before. The only slight disadvantage to their setup is the guest house's propane refrigerator - it had trouble keeping things cold and didn't seal very well. Good thing to have a cooler as backup (I used mine for my wine!) Sam filled it with fresh ice when needed. They are thinking of getting a newer, super-efficient electric refrigerator for the guest unit. Hopefully they can find one that works for them.

I loved the HUGE, king-size futon bed. It's on a platform and has wrap-around views of the estate and the ocean. When I arrived, there were fresh tropical flowers in the room and bathroom, and oodles of fresh tropical fruit for my enjoyment, including some delicious apple bananas, avocados, mangoes, passionfruit and starfruit. The bathroom was clean and lovely, I enjoyed the two-person shower with the big picture window. How anyone could think people put the window there to look IN I will never know.. .it's for looking OUT. Sheesh, Did I mention the HUGE video library? OMG - there were so many movies I had never seen but wanted to, it was a real treat to hunker down in my comfy bed at the end of a long day exploring paradise, and watch a great flick.

The kitchenette is outside the guest unit's back door. I thought it was really cute! I took a photo of the inside of the under-sink cabinet to show the garbage bucket, compost pail (with flowers on top), fresh drinking water jug, and general condiments & paper goods. There is tea, coffee, creamer, sugar, salt, pepper, and whatever the previous guests have left - there was a great assortment of foodstuffs there when I visited, and I left my non-perishable leftovers for future guests. Whoever ate the genovese pesto & linguine, I hope you enjoyed it! There is a 2-burner propane range for cooking (no microwave). They also have a BBQ, but you need to bring your own charcoal. The patio has a small table and two chairs, perfect for enjoying the views out to the Big Island & beyond.

There are numerous sites to visit within easy walking or driving distance, and Sam gives guests a list of places to see while you are there, with directions to each. I had a great time just walking out the front door, down the road to the nearest beaches, or to the organic fruit stands run by neighbors nearby. One fruit stand has a blender you run by pedaling on a bike, so if you order a smoothie, you'll be the one providing the juice! By far my favorite adventure was swimming in the Seven Sacred Pools (Oheo Gulch) in the morning before anyone else had arrived - I had this special place all to myself. That's the great thing about staying in and around Hana overnight - you beat all the day-trippers to the popular spots. I also did the Pipiwai Trail from the pools through the bamboo forest, and only saw a few other people.

It gets dark at night in Kipahulu, and the stars are truly incredible. The Milky Way is clearly visible as a bright, thick swath across the sky. A large flashlight is provided in the guest unit in case you feel the need to venture into the night. Some guests have commented on the frogs chirping in the pond, but I never heard them. I did, however, have a hysterically funny close encounter with... cows. Apparently there are two rogue cows roaming around East Maui who escaped from a farm a few years ago. I met them. At night. In the dark. i didn't know who was doing gardening at 8 PM, and went out with my flashlight to investigate. I don't know who was more scared, them or me. I almost peed my pants I was laughing so hard. Serves them right, eating Sam's lovely tropical flowers! Shoo cow.

I didn't try the outdoor bathtub, but it looked mighty inviting. Maybe if I bring my husband next time?

I highly recommend Ala 'Aina for solo travelers, or for a couple seeking an authentic Hawaiian experience. Thank you Sam and Mercury!

After reading the small number of negative reviews on this gem of a guest house in East Maui, it was obvious that the people who did not enjoy their stay here had entirely unrealistic expectations about staying in a remote location on a small island. If you are not prepared to leave your big-city anxieties and fear of nature at home, do NOT come here. If you expect bananas out of season, and get your panties in a twist if the baked goods so thoughtfully provided were made yesterday, leave this lovely, precious, and rare place to people who can appreciate it. ENJOY!

Date of stay: September 2009