All reviews outdoor kitchen seven sacred pools fresh fruit waimoku falls two burner stove night sounds gracious hosts road to hana charcoal bbq garden of eden three nights own meals green grass the big island close proximity beautiful property maui vacation
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband was returning home from Iraq and I wanted to surprise him with a Hawaiian getaway. After reading several reviews on Trip Advisor, I emailed Sam and requested a six night stay at the Ala'aina Ocean Vista.

After the long, three hour drive, we arrived at dusk. The room is small, off the side of the house, and a bit dated. I was immediately shocked to find that there was NO air conditioning. The home is situated quite a bit from the ocean so please don't expect any type of breeze (there are no fans, either). Leaving the windows open at night in the hopes of getting fresh air will only leave you wide awake as the frogs are never quiet. And sleeping in? Don't expect that either - there is a neighborhood dog and cow who begin their serenade at 5 a.m.

Besides the lack of air conditioning I was informed I was not allowed to use a hair dryer as it would cause their delicate solar power system to crash. Funny how all these little things never seem to make it to my ears until after I'd paid the same amount for one night at the Ala'aina as it would have cost me to stay in a 5 star hotel.

My husband and I stayed four of the six nights before calling it quits. I woke one morning to find a sea of ants in the bed and that's the straw which broke the camel's back. I understand that we were in the jungle and bugs were to be expected, but not in my bed (aka a futon).

Sam and Mercury were very sweet and understanding when we told them we would be leaving early (the whole time which we were trying to look at their faces and not at their topless bodies), but then Sam said something that struck a nerve. She told me, "We did find it quite odd that you booked our place for such a long stay. Most people only stay a night or two to 'get away' and explore." Really?? After we paid you over a thousand non-refundable dollars THEN you decide to tell us you're surprised we tried to stay so long?

The Hana Highway and the south part of Maui is a great place to visit for a day, but the Ala'aina is situated on the wrong side of the island if you are expecting a typical Hawaiian vacation. The beaches are few and rocky and there is little else to do besides looking at waterfalls. However, if you do chose to stay on the southern side, I would recommend you stay someplace other than the Ala'aina Ocean Vista... unless you enjoy gazing upon half-naked old women and not sleeping through hot, frog filled nights.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank arise277
Reviewed October 6, 2010

The Good:
Amazing views in three directions, two of the ocean and one of the mountains.
Rainbows in every direction!
Grounds are well beautifully designed and maintained.
The owners are very nice and helpful and respect your privacy.
The huge shower with garden views.
We enjoyed our stay and recommend staying here, but have a few issues considering the price is as high as it is.

The Bad
Lighting is poor if you want to read at night on one side of the bed.
No place to sit and relax. We stayed 3 nights and I didn't want to lay in bed all the time in the evenings.
No internet connection.

The Ugly
No fan in room. I asked about it and was told to open the doors to increase circulation of air, if I got hot. I tried it late at night, and had a mosquito attack. How much does an electric fan cost?

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Sam and Mercury are delightful hosts. The view from their hilltop cottage is breathtaking, especially at when the moon rises over the ocean and when the sun is setting between the mountain peaks.

Mangos and tropical flowers were everywhere. The horse in the field next door would poke his head over the fence from time to time, and the neighbor's rooster made sure we didn't sleep too late.

The suite is exquisitely crafted from native hardwoods, and the bath is airy and inviting. Choosing between the spacious shower indoors and the outdoor shower and tub was a highlight.

Dining on the stone lanai overlooking a koi pond and the tropical splendor made each evening special. The outdoor cooking area was well provisioned and made cooking almost pleasant, at least for camping style. We brought frozen ahi tuna and steaks and frozen drinks, which was convenient for keeping the icebox cold.

We took the trail ride with Maui Stables, across the road. It was a bit pricy, but the trail guide was an expert herbalist and a passionate advocate for preserving the natural habitat and cultural heritage. And the exclusive view of Waimoku falls in the distance made it worthwhile.

If you're looking for a Blue Lagoon experience, this is certainly the place to find it!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
22  Thank Aloha-Russ
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights to kick-off our honeymoon. The room was very nice with huge windows and great ocean breezes. The best part is the outdoor cooking and eating area on the deck, with stunning ocean views -- the deck is partially covered by a roof, just in case a tropical shower blows though during dinner. There was a two-burner stove, perfect for making meals for two -- just make sure to pick up groceries in Kahului before you hit the highway -- don't worry too much about fruit though, they provided us with an amazing fruit basket when we arrived.

Sam and Mercury took great care of us and provided super-helpful info when we checked-in about activities in the area, including the Wailuku Falls, Seven Sacred Pools, and Alelele Falls. And though they were always nearby, we always felt like we had our privacy.

The location is ideal for exploring the Kipahulu area, right off the main road, about 30 minutes past Hana, and about 10 minutes past the Seven Sacred Pools. The road itself is breathtaking, the scenery does not stop at Hana.

In terms of value, the price is a bit steep, but overall still a pretty good deal, especially when you factor in making our own meals and drinking your own wine and beer on the deck.

Finally, in terms of sleep quality, the bed isn't really the greatest. But if you leave the windows open at night (they have screens), the nightly rainstorms made for great sleeping... as long as you aren't afraid of a gecko or two ;)

Overall, we loved our stay, we'd stay again, and we'd highly recommend Ala'AIna, especially for couples that just want to enjoy being together in a very beautiful and peaceful setting.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
16  Thank row22-8
Reviewed July 6, 2010

My husband and I found this "bed and breakfast" online and thought, based on their website and previous reviews, that it would be a good place to stay while visiting Maui. The property is beautiful and the owner is friendly. Our biggest issue was we were expecting something close to luxury (at $175 per night your expect it to be nice), and felt like we were camping instead.

We felt that the pictures on the website were deceiving-- they make the room look much larger and more private than it actually is. The room is VERY efficient-- there isn't even a place for you to unpack your things for the duration of your stay nor a place to store your suitcase. We were pretty disappointed in the lack of privacy; yes the owner probably wouldn't care to look in at you, but the fact/feeling that they could was kind of unnerving.

Also, the breakfast portion of the stay turned out to be a carton of eggs and bottle of juice placed in your fridge at the start of your stay. From there, you are expected to make your own breakfast on your camp-like stove each morning. So, expecting a breakfast to be made every morning at the B&B was a mistake.

I think for a certain crowd, the idea of conserving energy (solar panels, but too weak to support a hairdryer) and living simply could be fun, but if you like your privacy and are looking for nicer accommodations, look elsewhere.

All in all, if you are looking to stay on the Hana Highway, I would recommend the Cliff's Edge over this B&B.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple