All reviews outdoor kitchen seven sacred pools fresh fruit bed and breakfast waimoku falls star fruit gracious hosts night sounds garden of eden a fantastic place to stay own meals our honeymoon the big island close proximity beautiful property mercury hana
Reviewed November 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this lovely B & B in Maui. My mother and father talked about HI when they would stay in Maui or elsewhere in the 60's/70's and this is what they were talking about. Not Honolulu of today. Both Sam and Mercury were excellent hosts and the grounds could not be more beautiful. If as a part of your stay in Maui you plan to be in the Hana area we Highly recommend you staying here.

Date of stay: November 2010
22  Thank Greg0070
Reviewed November 9, 2010

SERVICE: Service surpassed my expectations, as I've found B&B experiences to be hit or miss. The owners were readily available to help, welcoming and were very helpful with orienting us towards all of the local attractions. Service was not constantly in our faces either- we got great service but also lots of privacy and alone time.

ROOM & AMENITIES: The room was very cosy and we loved the amenities. The outdoor kitchen is fully equipped and offers beautiful views of the sunset, ocean, and mountains. The outdoor pool and shower were also very fun.

LOCATION: About a 30+ minute drive from Hana and is just a couple miles past the Haleakala Park entrance. Very close to the Seven Sacred Pools, the Bamboo Forest, and some gigantic waterfalls. We wanted to be somewhere that felt remote and very private, which is exactly what we found in this property.

BEST PART OF STAY: The outdoor bath, shower and kitchen/lanai. Beautiful, extremely romantic and calming setting.

"LEAST BEST" PART OF STAY: Lighting in the room was a wee bit dim. This is a minor quibble.

8  Thank jesmande
Reviewed October 27, 2010

There are great views but the rest was disappointing. It's approximately 12 miles past Hana, takes about 30 minutes due to the winding road. It is very quiet and secluded with nice ocean views. The room is attached to the main house where the owner's daughter lives but we were not bothered by her at all. They do respect your privacy.

They run off solar energy. Because of this, there are a list of "don'ts" printed and left in the room. Don't use a hair dryer or curling/straightening iron, don't leave the lights on, don't turn change the setting of the refrigerator (which is barely even cool. We actually went back to Hana to get ice for our cooler to keep our drinks cold) ect. as it will drain their solar power.

The fridge, propane burner and sink are on the deck. They are stocked with utensils, plates and spices for any cooking you do. We did use the charcoal bbq that is just off the deck. Do don't typically stock charcoal, so you must bring this with you. They also have beach chairs and snorkel gear for your use.

This place is listed as a B&B on tripadvisor and other websites but it is NOT a B&B. They do have some fruit on the deck but that's it. You're on your own for all meals.

Since it's located near Hana which is more of a tropical environment, there are lots of bugs and geckos. There were multiple geckos on the deck and outside of the windows in the evening/nights. There were also a few small geckos inside (the bathroom, near the windows and door).

We had a few issues while there, the main overhead light was did not work and one of the days we arrived back from sightseeing the owner told us there was a problem with the fridge and it had not been working for over four hours. She said she hoped our fish and other food in there had not spoiled. We were never offered any compensation for these problems.

Overall, we enjoyed our trip to Hana but wish we had stayed somewhere closer to town.

1  Thank smurph07
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Ala'aina ocean vista is an extraordinary peaceful place on earth. Samadhi and Mercury run this piece of heaven with so much love and good energy that we didn´t want to leave it ever again. We can highly recommend this place to all people who love nature. It is a very special place. And yes, it is also spiritual place!

21  Thank Claudio14
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband was returning home from Iraq and I wanted to surprise him with a Hawaiian getaway. After reading several reviews on Trip Advisor, I emailed Sam and requested a six night stay at the Ala'aina Ocean Vista.

After the long, three hour drive, we arrived at dusk. The room is small, off the side of the house, and a bit dated. I was immediately shocked to find that there was NO air conditioning. The home is situated quite a bit from the ocean so please don't expect any type of breeze (there are no fans, either). Leaving the windows open at night in the hopes of getting fresh air will only leave you wide awake as the frogs are never quiet. And sleeping in? Don't expect that either - there is a neighborhood dog and cow who begin their serenade at 5 a.m.

Besides the lack of air conditioning I was informed I was not allowed to use a hair dryer as it would cause their delicate solar power system to crash. Funny how all these little things never seem to make it to my ears until after I'd paid the same amount for one night at the Ala'aina as it would have cost me to stay in a 5 star hotel.

My husband and I stayed four of the six nights before calling it quits. I woke one morning to find a sea of ants in the bed and that's the straw which broke the camel's back. I understand that we were in the jungle and bugs were to be expected, but not in my bed (aka a futon).

Sam and Mercury were very sweet and understanding when we told them we would be leaving early (the whole time which we were trying to look at their faces and not at their topless bodies), but then Sam said something that struck a nerve. She told me, "We did find it quite odd that you booked our place for such a long stay. Most people only stay a night or two to 'get away' and explore." Really?? After we paid you over a thousand non-refundable dollars THEN you decide to tell us you're surprised we tried to stay so long?

The Hana Highway and the south part of Maui is a great place to visit for a day, but the Ala'aina is situated on the wrong side of the island if you are expecting a typical Hawaiian vacation. The beaches are few and rocky and there is little else to do besides looking at waterfalls. However, if you do chose to stay on the southern side, I would recommend you stay someplace other than the Ala'aina Ocean Vista... unless you enjoy gazing upon half-naked old women and not sleeping through hot, frog filled nights.

Date of stay: May 2010