All reviewsoutdoor kitchenseven sacred poolspast hanafresh fruitwaimoku fallsburner gas stovenight soundsgracious hostsroad to hanacharcoal bbqgarden of edenscreened windowsless trafficthree nightshighly recommend staying hereown mealsgreen grass
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Last year while staying in Kihei I wanted to visit the Hana area because of friends' description of its unique qualities and the spirituality of the area. Finally, this year I journeyed to the Hana area and this bed and breakfast created and managed by a mother-daughter team, Sam and Mercury, in Kipahulu on the highway south of Hana. It met all my expectations during my extended visit. I'd recommend it highly.

You have to slow down -- literally -- to drive to Kipahulu from other parts of the island, either using the more well-traveled Hana Highway or the alternate accessible highways 37 and 31. You have to slow down to enjoy the pace of life in the area. If you remain in the area for more than a few days, you will notice fewer tourists than other places on the island, get a taste of life in a more natural almost jungle-like setting and, maybe, experience the sacred power of 'huna' or spirituality still present in some places of Hawaii, like this one.

I found the Ala'aina Ocean Vista to be a very spiritual place with an earthy balance of masculine and feminine energy. Sam and Mercury have created a two acre setting using indigenous lava stones and Balinese, Indian, and Tibetan artifacts that enhance the spiritual qualities inherent in this powerful setting. I relaxed in the solitude and silence of this setting for a good part of each day before visiting others sites in the area.

As others have noted, Sam and Mercury were helpful and friendly. If I wanted lots of quiet time, they supported my wishes. If I wanted to talk with them or learn more about the area, they were readily available to call on their more than two decades of living in the area. And this B&B's facilities facilitated the nature of the experience I hoped to have in this Kipahulu-Hana area.

Hopefully, in the future I'll be able to visit again with these two creative and artistically gifted women and their delightful setting.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
24  Thank URKahuna
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights for our honey moon at Ala'aina Ocean Vista. The property is amazing, quiet and the owners are very nice. There are so many windows in the room that you can leave everything open and feel like sleeping outside with the comfort of being inside. The kitchen is outside but covered, you can cook your meals whenever you want. The owner had left tropical fruits for us. It was a great experience!

24  Thank Izou84
Reviewed December 10, 2010

We spent 3 nights at the Ala'aina vista and this was the most relaxing vacation I've ever been on. We felt extremely close to nature in our room with 2 walls of screened windows and lanai kitchen. We left all the blinds up at night to take advantage of waking up at dawn to amazing sunrises and, yes, we enjoyed the crowing roosters and mooing cow! Every morning I'd run along the stunning coast right from my room.
We brought too much food as Sam had stocked the fridge with eggs, bread, juice and bread...also much fresh fruit from the property.
Sam and Mercury were excellent hosts, always making sure we had everything we needed, and able to give great recomendations on out of the way places to visit.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
22  Thank modee1961
Reviewed December 2, 2010

This site was a great fit for us - the most beautiful grounds and ocean view, and solitude. Sam and Mercury were friendly and helpful, and not at all intrusive. Very relaxing and quiet.

23  Thank bodbob
Reviewed November 29, 2010

This is not a hotel, it is not a spa. It is a hidden paradise in the jungle.

Things you can't expect:
-using hairdryers (on battery/solar power in the jungle)
-getting reliable cell phone reception (again...jungle)
-internet connection
-no air-conditioning (The windows on both sides of the room open and create nice breezes, we were never too hot (though we did visit in November).

Things you can expect:
-Sam and Mercury are excellent hosts. They made us feel very welcome.
-The room consists of a huge bed on a platform, larger than king size. The bathroom consists of a large 2-person walk-in shower with a view of the water. The outdoor shower is on the side of the house with views of the big island. The outdoor bathtub is next to the outdoor shower and is an excellent place to watch the stars and be serenaded by the frogs in the lily pond next to the tub.
-There is satellite TV and plenty of movies to watch.
-Though the room is attached to Mercury's residence, you'd never even know she's there. Her windows on the guest side of the building are closed with the blinds drawn. If we didn't seek her out to peruse her jewelry (very nice btw), we wouldn't have even known she was home.
-Beautiful, lush grounds. We really like to do and see things on vacation but we just didn't want to leave the room and grounds. There are papaya, mango, apple-banana, orange, and many other varieties of fruit trees on the grounds. Lots of delightful statuary and decorations all over the place.
-The outdoor kitchen consists of a two-burner gas stove, a sink, and a refrigerator. Bring bug spray (or leave the lights off) if cooking at night. The hosts provide basic breakfast food, the rest is up to you. We made a couple of trips to Hana to re-provision during our 4-night stay and it was perfect.

If you are the kind of person who likes to stay in large sterile resort hotels, this might not be the place for you. If you like staying in a lush tropical setting, and get joy out of finding a beautiful and relaxing spot to unwind in paradise...this is the place for you.

We'll be coming back every time we go to Maui!

-Rob and Ginger