All reviews one night old building per night top floor bed and breakfast rooms lack the young lady a bit tired long weekend cooked breakfast real fire excellent value for money landlord meals refurbishment heads hilton
Reviewed August 14, 2017

As first impressions go, this couldn't have been much worse. You are led through a door with a broken window, up two or three flights of grotty carpeted stairs, to a door with half a knob missing and the kind of lock that would have seemed dated in the 1950s. By this time your expectations had already lowered dramatically, and the room was indeed basic - as another reviewer has said, more like a youth hostel - but on the surface no worse than that.

However, the only towel in evidence was a filthy looking one in the chest of drawers with some unspeakable stain. I had to go down to the pub to ask for some. The ones then provided, or rather taken from another guest's room, were the kind you throw out or put in a dog's basket.

Then, the bathroom. To be honest a prisoner would demand better standards. It was almost Dickensian in its squalor. The pictures speak for themselves. Mould, damp, flaking wallpaper etc. Despite what the tap says, it never ran hot.

I can't comment on the evening meals because I ate at the Indian in the village. The breakfast was ok but by then I was desperate to get away. But I certainly heard no bacon frying so can only assume this was microwaved.

On the plus side, the night I stayed there were roadworks on the main road beneath my window, so the constant thunder of traffic was relieved for a few hours, and the locals were friendly enough. As a pub it is fine, but to price its rooms at a standard rate of very good B&Bs on the Offa's Dyke Path route is shameful.

In hindsight, I would have happily walked another couple of hours and found somewhere else to stay. But actually it only takes a few yards to walk to the Bradford Arms.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Gary W
Reviewed August 4, 2017 via mobile

Although the staff seemed very nice at the Cross Keys we didn't decide to eat or drink here during our stay and chose another pub instead. It was a relief at times to leave the building as it has a neglected, depressing feel about it.

The room was fairly clean, apart from the dusty window and dirty fireplace and carpet. There was just no attention to detail at all. The towels were threadbare and all different colours, cups are chipped, the bedding was worn, the mattress on the double bed was uncomfortable, the window was broken, material was shoved up the fireplace rather than having a chimney sweeper clean it. The list is endless.

Yes it's cheap at just over £100 for 2 nights in August but there are far better places for the same price.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Arabella2010
Reviewed August 2, 2017 via mobile

If you just want a bed to sleep in, it's fine. But could really do with brightening up. I'm into old buildings if they're looked after and have charm but this has just been left.

Carpets and rooms are generally dusty, glass on the window in my friends room was broken, there were lightbulbs that had stickers which said "tested- do not use", locks on doors did not always work, curtains had been stuffed up fireplaces to stop draft. Just very menial things that would take two minutes to fix but all combined doesn't make for a particularly pleasant stay.
The music from the pub jukebox was so loud it was more like a club than a pub, that went on booming through the floor of our room until very late.
The showers are very small (I learned jut how flexible I can be trying to shave my legs!)
We ate in the restaurant part and my fish and chips wasn't very nice at all- was served very strangely with the burnt and tasteless fish swimming in mushy peas (more like soup) and tartar sauce had congealed together with an oil formed around it. Massive portions for only £8 but I'd have preferred quality over quantity.

The staff were friendly and pleasant to be fair and the beds were comfortable. Overall it wasn't a bad place as such, just needs a lot of TLC and a good clean and it really could be very charming.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2017

I have stayed at top class hotels like the Hilton in park lane and mandarin Oriental in hong kong ,if you are looking for this kind of luxury you will be disappointed here .What you have is an old building that the locals need and the staff are doing their best to accommodate them and try and make a living.They are in a catch 22 situation the prices are low and probably just cover the wages of the delightful staff and cannot afford to refurbish this grand old building .Most of these hotels/public houses in the countryside have been closed for different reasons. but the landlord keeps this pub open by doing bed and breakfast .The locals are excellent they talk to you ,The young lady that was serving behind the bar ( i think her name was Hannah)was very polite and went out of her way to show me the room and answer any questions that i had .The food was good for £8 for pie chips and vegetables and enough to feed more than one person .it wasn't michelin star but was a good hearty meal .Breakfast was also edible tasty and enough to keep you going throughout the day ,Again the same young lady took the order served the food and was always pleasant .If people want five star dont expect to pay £40 per night for a room and breakfast .Read the reviews and book somewhere else ,people who have to stick to a budget will find very good staff ,from my experience a clean room that did need some work but was adequate .and very good meals .we need to keep the history of our country so support local hotels like this

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
TheCrossKeys, General Manager at Cross Keys Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2017

thanks for your review and i will pass your comments onto the young lady.
malcolm j.

Reviewed July 30, 2017 via mobile

This is the worst place I have ever been to! We booked through bookings.com and the cross keys was described as a hotel (it's not - it's actually 6 grotty rooms above a pub!) The car park was a nightmare - barely enough room to get in and limited spaces. On entering we walked directly into the dining room which was awkward when a family were sitting just on the other side of the door eating their dinner. We checked in with a member of staff who clearly did not know what customer service was. We were then led up 2 flights of stairs with threadbare carpet and a smashed entry door.

The rooms door had clearly seen better days - numerous holes in it from different locks. On entering the room my heart sank. The TV was from the 90's and was covered in dust, the carpet was threadbare and the bathroom was absolutely awful. There was faecal matter on the floor beside the toilet, the shower looked like it had never been cleaned and the floor was dirty.

There were 2 towels on the bed that were mismatched and had holes in them and the bath mat was worn out and also had a hole in it. My husband and I did not expect the best hotel for the money we paid but somewhere clean and in reasonable condition would have been nice.

This place needs a serious renovation. If you want to stay in a dirty, rundown room then by all means book the Cross Keys. My advice would be AVOID!!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple