All reviews one night old building per night top floor bed and breakfast rooms lack the young lady a bit tired long weekend cooked breakfast real fire excellent value for money landlord meals refurbishment heads hilton
Reviewed December 27, 2017 via mobile

Worst hotel ever we got to our room to find bugs in the shower and the floor filthy. Then when we went to go to the bar the lock on the door was hanging by a thread I will never return there again. It was that bad I wouldn't but a dog in there

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Lorna R
Reviewed November 4, 2017

If you want a basic stopover point with a good breakfast this is fine despite some initial worries.
The hotel is on main road but the enhanced glazing works well and the road is quiet overnight. My room was clean and spacious although the chair, probably a third bed, was too heavy to move under a reading light. Purists would recoil from the debris on the window sill and also from the lack of cleanliness in the bathroom. The shower, skirting boards and window sill needed a thorough clean and the hole in the floor around the toilet should be filled in. I had a choice of two very comfortable beds.
I noticed the comprehensive evening meal menu but when I went to place an order was told that on Tuesday there is a different menu. “Could I see it, please?” “Yes, but you have to go into the bar and read the blackboard.” After muscling my way through the crowd I found the blackboard but couldn’t find anything suitable. Why not have the Tuesday menu in the dining room?
Access to my room was made easier by the fire escape to the car park being left open – a strange arrangement and it’s probably not ideal to walk up and down a wet metal staircase in the dark.
Breakfast was great so at £40.00 all in it was probably about right. I would recommend a thorough clean so that everything is as clean as the carpets.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2017

As first impressions go, this couldn't have been much worse. You are led through a door with a broken window, up two or three flights of grotty carpeted stairs, to a door with half a knob missing and the kind of lock that would have seemed dated in the 1950s. By this time your expectations had already lowered dramatically, and the room was indeed basic - as another reviewer has said, more like a youth hostel - but on the surface no worse than that.

However, the only towel in evidence was a filthy looking one in the chest of drawers with some unspeakable stain. I had to go down to the pub to ask for some. The ones then provided, or rather taken from another guest's room, were the kind you throw out or put in a dog's basket.

Then, the bathroom. To be honest a prisoner would demand better standards. It was almost Dickensian in its squalor. The pictures speak for themselves. Mould, damp, flaking wallpaper etc. Despite what the tap says, it never ran hot.

I can't comment on the evening meals because I ate at the Indian in the village. The breakfast was ok but by then I was desperate to get away. But I certainly heard no bacon frying so can only assume this was microwaved.

On the plus side, the night I stayed there were roadworks on the main road beneath my window, so the constant thunder of traffic was relieved for a few hours, and the locals were friendly enough. As a pub it is fine, but to price its rooms at a standard rate of very good B&Bs on the Offa's Dyke Path route is shameful.

In hindsight, I would have happily walked another couple of hours and found somewhere else to stay. But actually it only takes a few yards to walk to the Bradford Arms.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Gary W
Reviewed August 4, 2017 via mobile

Although the staff seemed very nice at the Cross Keys we didn't decide to eat or drink here during our stay and chose another pub instead. It was a relief at times to leave the building as it has a neglected, depressing feel about it.

The room was fairly clean, apart from the dusty window and dirty fireplace and carpet. There was just no attention to detail at all. The towels were threadbare and all different colours, cups are chipped, the bedding was worn, the mattress on the double bed was uncomfortable, the window was broken, material was shoved up the fireplace rather than having a chimney sweeper clean it. The list is endless.

Yes it's cheap at just over £100 for 2 nights in August but there are far better places for the same price.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Arabella2010
Reviewed August 2, 2017 via mobile

If you just want a bed to sleep in, it's fine. But could really do with brightening up. I'm into old buildings if they're looked after and have charm but this has just been left.

Carpets and rooms are generally dusty, glass on the window in my friends room was broken, there were lightbulbs that had stickers which said "tested- do not use", locks on doors did not always work, curtains had been stuffed up fireplaces to stop draft. Just very menial things that would take two minutes to fix but all combined doesn't make for a particularly pleasant stay.
The music from the pub jukebox was so loud it was more like a club than a pub, that went on booming through the floor of our room until very late.
The showers are very small (I learned jut how flexible I can be trying to shave my legs!)
We ate in the restaurant part and my fish and chips wasn't very nice at all- was served very strangely with the burnt and tasteless fish swimming in mushy peas (more like soup) and tartar sauce had congealed together with an oil formed around it. Massive portions for only £8 but I'd have preferred quality over quantity.

The staff were friendly and pleasant to be fair and the beds were comfortable. Overall it wasn't a bad place as such, just needs a lot of TLC and a good clean and it really could be very charming.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends