“Superb !”

Rising Sun Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Altarnun
Price range: US$7 - US$33
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Rising Sun is an 18th century traditional moorland inn, offering a fine selection of local and guest real ales, wines and spirits, contemporary bar and restaurant food in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Our food is freshly prepared and cooked in our kitchen and where possible we source our ingredients with sustainability, seasonality and localism at the top of our agenda. We are situated just off the A30 about 1 mile through the village of Altarnun in the hamlet of Treween. We serve food both lunch and dinner 7 days a week. We also have a great little campsite with shower facilities and electric hook-ups. Please call for availability.
Reviewed March 4, 2018

Visited a couple of weeks ago for a Saturday lunch. First of all, plenty of parking. Lovely warm welcome as well. Chose a starter from the lunchtime menu, of scallops with crispy Parma ham and a main course from the specials board , a free range breast of chicken , served with a delectable sauce flavoured with Tarragon, puy lentils and a delicious selection of fresh vegetables, including small slices of fennel which really complimented the whole dish. This was one of the best plates of food I have ever tasted, so many layers of flavours it was perfection. My partner had a steak and ale pie - - a proper pie, delectable pastry top and bottom, crammed full of top quality meat. Believe me when I say, this chef knows his job. Desserts of a very good Pannacotta with poached rhubarb and just the right amount of wobble , homemade sticky toffee pudding and really good coffee. Great range of wines and real ales. Have booked again for Mothering Sunday. If, like me, you are someone who appreciates quality food, expertly prepared, cooked and presented in an atmosphere where you can relax, then go here. This place is a real find - - you will probably need to book.

Reviewed February 28, 2018

We stopped to have lunch in this excellent country pub. We received a very warm welcome from the owners which was helped by the two log fires in the bar. Really lovely atmosphere in this unspoiled, traditional pub. We enjoyed a delicious home cooked looked which was washed down by a couple of pints of ale from the local brewery in the village. Will certainly be visiting again.

Reviewed February 25, 2018 via mobile

We've been coming to this part of North Cornwall for almost 26 years but had never been to Altarnun. We decided to take a chance on this inn because the reviews were good.

The reviews were right! First impressions were that is beautifully situated although the outside could use a little TLC. Inside is a classic Cornish country pub with friendly staff and a brilliant sounding menu: we were spoilt for choice!

I liked the fact that it was a Sunday but they had the full menu available and not just the Sunday roast (although that did look good). This is great when you are just after a light meal, as we were.

There was plenty of parking too although you do need to watch out for potholes!

All in all, we were very impressed with our visit and will be back on our next trip down.

Reviewed February 18, 2018 via mobile

Visited for my fourth time and as good as ever.

Always like to visit when I’m in the area and it never disappoints.

Good food and drinks along with a nice family atmosphere and friendly staff.

Reviewed January 27, 2018

My husband and I sought this pub out en route after a few days away. It was difficult to find because you had to go some way of of the village of Altarnum to find it - but ask a local! It is very easy to park as it truly is in the middle of the countryside. It has no frills and is a basic honest pub. But the blackboard (on this cold and miserable winter day) has some additional options to the menu and we had a very cheery barman!

I had scallops with celeriac puree and some little sultanas and crispy parma ham - very good and scallops were beautifully cooked. My other half had soup followed by field mushrooms on toast, with spinach and gorgeous egg on top. I also had the duck spring rolls with a great dip. Very good and reasonably priced. Definitely worth exploring - but do not go if you want a trendy looking pub - this is an honest Cornish old style pub.

1  Thank happyholidaygirl059