“A little piece of quaint luxury, very traditional”

Cameron Highlands Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Tanah Rata
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The hotel was very relaxed, and felt very old world, but in a quaint way. The style of decor in general was mock tudor, which was twee but reasonably tasteful. The decor of the rooms was similarly clasic in style, but modern and functional. I quite liked the four poster bed! My only real criticism of the bedrooms was the very flimsy door locks to the balcony; I made quite sure that my valuables were locked in the room safe.

The location is great in general, but the initial view which should have been over the lush greens of the golf course, was let down by the fact that the golf course is in the process of being re-turfed, and so instead of lush green, we looked out on to a see of unattractive muddy grown. The road outside the hotel is the main road through the Cameron Highlands and can see a relative number of lorries rumbling through during the night (I advise ear plugs).

The bar and restaurant offered good food, and decent service. The high tea is a luxury, which is probably over the top, but did feel quite good fun to do. The bar was let down by the fact that the full size snooker table did not have a full set of balls.

The roads to and from the Cameron Highlands are narrow and mountainous. It is a long drive from KL or Penang. If you don't like twisty mountain roads, then think carefully about how you might get here. The Hotel organised taxi drivers for us at a reasonable price, however their driving skills weren't up to UK standards!!!

There is no pool, but a small functional open air gym (also a good spot to liberate more complimentary bottled water!).

The Highlands get chilly in the evenings, so pack a jumper (or reserve the sofas next to the fireplace in the library)!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
kirinjit, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Greetings!

Thank you very much on your comments shared in your review. I note overall you had a wonderful stay with us and liked the decor around the areas very much.

I would like to apologize on the poor view that your self experienced from your room balcony regards to the golf turf upgrading project and on the noisy road located front. Further info for your future planning upon your return to us, the golf project is scheduled to end on the 16 July 2012.

I hope the above poor experiences will not deter you to choose Cameron Highlands Resort for your next break. Till we meet again, my best wishes to you and family.

Kirinjit Singh.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,434)

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Went to CHR over the weekends and just like the other YTL properties.... the service, hotel, food, room etc are perfect! The reason why I stay at to YTL resorts over and over again.

With my back and neck problem, I found the bed to be very comfortable and was plesant surprised that I could choose my pillow type!

The only drawback is the rooms which are all facing the roads can get very noisy at night when I sleep!

Oh yes, the huge lighted trees are absolutely gorgeous at night

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank miemiegirl

Dear Guest,

Greetings from land of berries!

Firstly, I would like to thank you very much on your support and I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us very much. Your comments are shared with the team and I have congratulated them on their job well done! I also would like to thank you on choosing YTL properties as your favorite resorts/hotels for your holidays.

I look forward to welcome you back with us in time to come and till we meet again, all the best in 2012!

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Drove up to the resort for a weekend getaway. Got there in the late afternoon after visiting the tea plantations. The room we got was really nice and spacious and had a small balcony looking out onto the golf course across the road. We had dinner at the restaurant and the food was great. We tried one of their desserts and remember that it was really good and the waiter informed us that it was because the berries were grown in one of the local farms nearby. We also had breakfast included with the room and although it wasn't a buffet it was really good quality stuff we got. Nice pastries to start, fresh juice and a hot breakfast cooked to order.

Lots to do in the area but you'd need a car. If not, it's good enough to just hang around the resort and pamper yourself as they have a spa as well.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank reggiemania
kirinjit, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks on the review and on choosing us for your recent break!

We note you had a memorable time with us and will return to Cameron Highlands Resort in future. We would like to record our highest appreciation for your support and look forward to welcome you back with us.

Till we meet again, our best wishes to you and family.

Kirinjit Singh and Team.

Reviewed 28 January 2012

This hotel oozes with prestige and exclusivity , the staff in this hotel is the best I have ever experienced.
At breakfast, the manager and staff of the restaurant provided excellent tips about Cameron highlands and a good place to get great strawberries. My children were provided with complimentary breakfast too.
The room is spacious and comfortable , the children had good fun in the playroom and the open air gym adds a nice touch to the resort.
I truly hope that in my next visit there would be an indoor heated pool in which will make this resort complete.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank HolidaysHH

Dear Guest,

Many thanks on your review and on choosing Cameron Highlands Resort for your recent break. I noted that you had a memorable time with us and will return to Cameron Highlands Resort in time to come.

Me and team look forward for the next opportunity to welcome and serve you here at Cameron Highlands Resort.

Till we meet again, our kindest regards to you and family.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

I was on my own for Christmas this year, and the staff of the Cameron Highlands Resort were so warm and welcoming that I felt very much loved and cared for during this special time of the year. Thanks to all of them,, from the desk to the cleaners, to waiters, door guys and everybody.

Cameron Highlands Resort is a beautiful hotel that provides an unforgettable experience to the visitor. The friendliness of the staff, the attention to the detail in the service of the room, and the beauty of the rooms make you feel like a noble man/woman.

The rooms are beautiful, classy colonial style, awesome furniture, spacious and very comfortable for two people. The bathroom is gorgeous and very spacious with a divine set of toiletries. The shower is huge! The smell of the bed linen is also wonderful.

There are four restaurants in the hotel, but they are a bit overpriced for what they offer. I really liked the food in the Gonbei, as well as it chill out modern atmosphere. The other ones are too old-style for my taste, but the service is still fantastic. I missed a Malaysian good quality restaurant, instead of the western and Japanese ones, after all this is Malaysia!

A visit to the Spa Village is a must, not only because of the treatments, but specially because the great ladies working in it. It is a bit pricey, but truly worth it, and the facilities are fantastic. Murni made my experience unforgettable!

This hotel is perfect for couples looking for a romantic escape and for families travelling with children, not as much for independent travellers willing to move around. But it is worth the visit!!!!1 .

Although I immensely enjoyed my stay, I would like to make some suggestions:
1/ The hotel should make an effort to provide fast free wifi or LAN all over the hotel, and not as it is now, slowwwww, and only available in two spots.I usually post photos and sound archives while traveling, and it took me more than one hour to upload a file that was just 53 MG. At the moment 3 star hotels in Malaysia are offering free wifi in the rooms!

2/ As the nights can be a bit cold, I think a blanket should be always available in the wardrobe.

3/ I think it would be great having another set of tissues in the room, beyond the one in the bathroom, and a mini-loofa or similar thing for the bathroom, which also saves on shower gel.

4/ Provide free newspaper to the customer, if requested, as other hotels in Malaysia do normally, and I like that a lot. At least ask the guests if he/she is interested.

5/ A scheduled van should be provided to go to/from Tanah Rahta. I love walking, and it is not a problem for me, but having to depend on taxis is not good.

Room Tip: Before booking mind that, if you are not driving your own car or don't want to rely on taxis, th...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Firstly, many thanks on the review and on choosing Cameron Highlands Resort!

I have noted on your comments and suggestions and would like to thank you again on taking your time to write on the suggestions in your review. Your comments are treated with highest priority and as a vital guide for us to look into our areas for further improvements, and with constant comments and suggestions from our guests is indeed the path to our success that we inspire to achieve and deliver our best services on a consistent and constant manner with customer service at our heart to all of our guests.

I have shared your comments with Murni and congratulate her on her efforts into delivering nothing less than our usual best services to your good self.

I look forward to see you back with us in time to come and till than, my best wishes to you and family.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

The hotel had a lots of options for family fun with games, foosball tables, Wii, dartboards etc. We really enjoyed our time at the hotel. The restaurant had excellent food with vegetarian options available, which is not a surety in Malaysia. There are nice tourist attractions like Strawberry farm and Butterfly park nearby. The staff were not the most attentive but not bad either. I think they were a bit impaired by the language gap.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank PyaraPopat
kirinjit, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Cameron Highlands Resort!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much on your stay and support. I note that overall you had a wonderful stay with us and we hope to see you back with us in time to come.

Till we meet again, I would like to wish you,family, and friends all the best.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

This hotel is right on one of the few lengths of the main road through the highlands that is straight. Consequently drivers floor their accelerators as they approach and the traffic noise is pretty much endless from early morning until late at night. The hotel has no quiet green space where you could sit to escape from this and all the rooms overlook the road. We could also have done without the over-fussy uniformed waiter service at breakfast which was sometimes slow and unresponsive. Overpriced for such a noisy location.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank James C
kirinjit, General Manager at Cameron Highlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Dear Guest,

I'm very sorry to understand that your stay were not a good one due to the traffic noise as well as the service at breakfast.

On the road noise, I would like to share that we have rooms located above the restaurant which comes with lesser road noise as the restaurant roof blocks the noise from reaching these rooms. We have accorded these rooms to many of our guests that commented on noise challenge and they had a positive and relaxing stay upon taking these rooms. Please do let request for these rooms for your future visits. Please note, these rooms does not offer view from the room balcony due to the roof that is reaching the balcony front.

On the breakfast service, I'm equally disappointed on the poor service delivery that your self experienced during your visits to the restaurant. I would like to assure you that the area is now looked after with a revised system of flow and the challenge is now fixed.

I hope these negative experiences will not deter you to choose Cameron Highlands Resort as your holiday destination and again, our sincere apologies on the overall poor stay experiences that your self experienced.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanah Rata
2.2 km away
Hillview Inn
Hillview Inn
#8 of 13 in Tanah Rata

Been to Cameron Highlands Resort? Share your experiences!