Review Highlights

Reviewed August 12, 2021
JMark2014
Ancaster, Canada
via mobile
A feel-home experience with great food

Reviewed August 11, 2021
V1340ROlucc

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 12, 2021 via mobile

I did not enjoy this bistro at all. But this was perhaps my own fault for not doing my research.

The setting and people were delightful. You order up front then walk around the back of the house to the most lovely garden setting. I was pleasantly surprised.

I ordered the ham quiche with soup. $17. Not overly expensive but not cheap. I was surprised to see the food arrive. The portion of quiche was small. I felt like I was getting ripped off. The soup was ok. But definitely not anything I’d ever want to taste again.

The waitress and host were wonderful people. But I don’t like laying well over $20 for a meal and leaving hungry.

I do see however that this place would be pleasing to those with a smaller appetite and a bent for health food.

Reviewed August 12, 2021 via mobile

Return visit wonderful - despite the rain. We visited Maja's garden 6 years ago and it was great. Appetizers, pork for main meal (vegan options available) and large piece of cake for desert. Live entertainment. Happens twice a week and ingredients are sourced from her and Guy's lovely garden. Large umbrellas protected us from weather.

2  Thank JMark2014
Reviewed August 11, 2021

This was a pleasant surprise in Mindemoya. The food was very delicious, and the ambiance in the garden was relaxing. Would certainly consider this as one of our best experiences on Manitoulin Island.

1  Thank V1340ROlucc
Reviewed August 6, 2021 via mobile

We discovered Maja’s last summer and was eager to come back this year! Maja’s didn’t disappoint! My husband and little son got out of the car and immediately played a game of chess on the big outdoor board in the front yard while I ordered food at the front of the house. When they were done, they joined my mom and I in the idyllic back garden, full of flowers, vegetables, and fruit. There’s a little sink at the corner of the house for eco friendly hand washing before lunch, and clean well stocked bathrooms in the back. The friendly owners wore masks to serve us, leaving our food and drinks at a little table just a few steps away, as they did last year. The food was delicious, as usual. My son and I had the two meat options on the menu - a lovely ham and cheese quiche with soup, and two tender sausages with a wonderfully light and flavourful pasta salad. My vegetarian husband had so many options, and ended up with the cheese sandwich and soup. My mom had the garden pizza and side salad and loved it! I must admit that food is not necessarily what you come to Manitoulin Island for, but Maja’s is definitely one of the best restaurants around.

2  Thank westielover_TO
Reviewed July 26, 2021 via mobile

Maja and Guy were amazing hosts. We enjoyed the garden party this past Saturday. We contacted ahead and she was able to accommodate our dietary needs. The atmosphere in the garden was incredible. She explained the process involved in her recipes and the work involved in the garden. We can’t say enough.

Date of experience: July 2021