All reviews laundry service air con walking distance comfortable bed massage
Reviewed December 28, 2016 via mobile

Room was basic, dated but clean. Close to restaurants, shops and the beach. There was a safe in room and wasn't cleaned whilst we were there but we only stayed three nights so we didn't mind and it was a pleasant stay.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2016 via mobile

We arrived in a storm to find outside our room was flooded. They give you a big towel as a bed sheet (not big enough for two people) so must ask for more. No cleaners which meant the room was very sandy by the end of our stay. Constantly had to ask for more toilet paper because that wasn't even refilled.
Only good points was the comfy pillows and the location. I've stayed in cheaper guest houses with a lot more to offer- I recommending finding somewhere else.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robyn Y
Reviewed October 12, 2016

The best thing about Popeye is its location. It is close to everything and more importantly it is just few minutes for the Beach. There are many restaurants around including a 7/11 and a Mc D. The place is clean and is very cheap. If you are booking thru Booking.com you need to opt for A/C. if not the A/C is kept switched off and you have to negotiate for the price. WIFI is free!

Overall, not a bad place if you are on a budget and looking for a large clean room.

Room Tip: Opt for A/C room when booking ...if not you will end up paying more
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2016

I stayed from 31st May - 4th June at Popeye Guesthouse and I paid 1,700 bath for 4 nights with Standard double-bed room with Fan. Although the current price on website is 400 bath per night for similar room for this kind of period. The room looked quite nice at first sight: room quite small, but sufficient for 2 persons. Colourful bedsheet, double bed, soft pillows, 2 free bottled water and free wifi. However, I discovered things are not as advertised nor reviewed.

1. They never cleaned my room nor changed bedsheets during my entire stay. Imagine you went back from the island with sand and sea water day by day, the floor will get damped and filthy. Besides that, there was big cockroach in the room. On 3rd night I found a centipede in the bathroom. I tried to water that terrible creature down the drain, but the water hose is so short and the water power is not strong to reach to the centipede and I had to leave it as it is.

2. The two free bottles of water, but only for 1st night.

3. The owner (especiallymiddle-aged lady) never smiles and look grumpy all the times. I was initially given a room at the back of the hostel. The path leading to the room was very dirty and full of water all the day, for it was raining during my stay. As. There is no view, because the window is overlooking to a big wall. We cannot open the window to avoid mosquito, for there is no safety net for the window. I saw many un-occupied rooms closer to the street (which means we can avoid jumping over the water to get into the room), but they refused to let me change. I already paid the full rent, and they want to save such rooms for other people. These rooms are their selling point, I guess :)

After I insisted on changing room, they finally settled me to a smaller room, without TV and fridge. The middle-aged lady even told me that I was lucky to be given that room. I just didn't want to argue, all I want is I do have to jump over water or get through a very dirty / dark path in order to get into my room)

Although the Guesthouse has a good location, very close to the main street (at the heart of Ao Nang) and about 10 mins walk to the Ao Nang Beach. But that's all ! I will NOT come back again.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere. Not worth for what you paid for.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Anhntl
Reviewed May 28, 2016

Very good location, walking distance to the Ao Nang beach, close to the restaurants, shops and bars. Very friendly staff. Room clean, quite comfortable, with air conditioning and a fan. Large, comfortable bed. Bathroom very basic, but clean. Good value for money, especially considering the location. Perfect place for backpackers.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo