“Very nice staff, very safe and not too far from everything”

Hotel Hacienda Bugambilias
Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed 17 January 2017

I call this a budget 2-star hotel. But, it's a very safe property with very smiley, friendly staff. My one complaint is that one of the beds should have been retired 10 guests before us. And, the towels were really old and worn.

Room Tip: first floor
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 July 2016

Mexican feel with french cafe murals painted around the pool and dining area. Comfortable rooms, full wifi, mexican satellite tv in the room, possible to find american shows dubbed with spanish subtitles. Lots of parking and only 3 blocks from the malecon. I have stayed there a few times and will visit again.

Room Tip: All rooms surround the pool, courtyard area, on 2 floors.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2016

We stayed here both going to and coming from Los Cabos. (It was such a good experience on the way down, we stayed here again on the way back.) I loved the location -- quiet but within walking distance of the malecon and plaza, and we DID enjoy walking in La Paz. My husband and I appreciated the spaciousness -- the lobby, the courtyard, the room itself, the bathroom, the shower. The pool, in the central courtyard, was inviting; we both swam. In the evening, same central courtyard was pleasant for just sitting in the rocking chairs outside our room. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. I didn't do the exchange in my head well at check-in; when we received our credit card statement, it was a delightful surprise that our room cost $43 per night.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pam W
Reviewed 11 January 2016

We booked two nights here because it looked to be in a convenient location and it was the only place that had vacancy and allowed dogs. It was easy to find. Check in was fine, but they insisted on a $1,000 (pesos) deposit for the dog; no problem, I can't complain since they accept dogs ...

It was pretty easy to find this place. There is no one available to help you with your luggage, as a previous reviewer stated, but it was no big deal for us, but it can be a hassle if you need the help.

Contrary to what others say, this Hotel is not located in a dangerous area or rough neighborhood. True, it might not meet your standards as an acceptable neighborhood in your home town, but it's just simply a working class neighborhood. I felt perfectly safe walking my dog in both morning and evening.

The onsite restaurant was only open for breakfast and lunch, and it was surprisingly very good. They made an amazing breakfast both days and provided good service, and it was very affordable.

The only complaint was the toilet would plug up very easily and I'm talking for getting plugged for "number 1". A couple times I had to catch a maid to borrow the plunger. Be sure to definitely not put any paper in because I imagine that can create a mess.

The wifi was useless, so don't plan on much internet surfing while here.

Overall, this Hotel was fine. If looking for a place to hang out and enjoy stuff to at a hotel with things on-site, this probably isn't the place for that.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank seaexplorer
Reviewed 4 May 2015

It's the opposite of a chain hotel--thank God! We love to travel in the Baja and this was a nice discovery a few minutes walk from the water. Good walking neighbourhood, even if the streets look a bit rough. Friendly staff, good restaurant on site. The courtyard in charmingly and quirkily painted with Parisian street scenes. Rooms are simple with tile floors (I hate carpet) and lovely tiled baths.
There is secure and ample parking (we were towing a boat) and they welcomed our hound, which other hotels did not. We had an excellent stay and returned after sailing to the Islands for another shore leave. Excellent value too!Wifi works best in the lobby.

Room Tip: Any room around the pool at the front of the building will eb quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Devika88
Reviewed 19 February 2015

This is what I want from a hotel in Mexico. Its not some generic hotel that could be anywhere in the world. I loved it, I felt I could be in an old western. The good: Spacious, quiet, well located, comfy beds, large shower, clean, happy pleasant staff and I must mention the rocking chairs outside the rooms... great. The bad: When we arrived there was a musty smell that took a few hours to get out of the room with the door and window open and I would have liked tea making facilities, sorry that's all the bad there was (for me) The Ugly: The barbed wire around the top of the boundary wall. And for those nick pickers; The am I bothered? No lift, but hey there's only the ground and the first floor, no porter but I've pulled and carried my case for 4 weeks through 6 airports and 7 hotels I dont need a porter, the wifi was weak unless I was sat on the end of the bed, and no room service but I havent travelled over 10.000 miles to eat in my room! If you want the lap of luxury go to Dubai but for this area in BCS and this price range this hotel made my day. Oh yes for those that need it, there was a flat screen tv with original language options for programs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the left of reception (more sun for your rocking chair)
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelpolice911
Reviewed 3 January 2015

I rate Mexican hotels by Mexican standards. I read a review of this hotel from Jan. '14. The writer rated the hotel poorly because there was "no concierge, no porter, no room service." If those are important to you, don't expect to pay less than $50 for your room. You need to be at a resort, and don't expect everything to work then anyhow.
Attractive but not fancy.
This hotel is a good value. LARGE secured parking inside a wall. We had no trouble parking our pickup truck with in-bed camper in it. Clean, basic, adequate rooms. Small dogs allowed and they will be checked for fleas by the front desk. Front desk staff helpful. Near downtown.

Room Tip: Large, secure parking inside the walled area of the hotel. No trouble parking our big camper/pickup...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family