“Whales whales whales”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Baja Expeditions

Baja Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Baja Expeditions is the world's leader in eco-adventures in Baja California, Mexico. Swim, kayak or scuba dive on our live-aboard MECHUDO in the Sea of Cortez. Or, meet the friendly gray whales in San Ignacio Lagoonon the Pacific side of the Baja peninsula. Pristine beaches, rugged desert hiking and friendly sea lions are found on islands like Espiritu Santo. Abundant sea life, turquoise waters, sunshine and blue skies are everywhere--check us out today!
Juneau, Alaska
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Whales whales whales”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2007

In late February, 2007, my husband and I spent a week (6 nights) with Baja Expeditions aboard the Don Jose on their Whales, Whales, Whales trip from Magdelena Bay to La Paz. The time we spent around the grey whales definitely rose to the top of my “most incredible wildlife experience” list.

The Don Jose crew is friendly, helpful, attentive and most spoke some English. My late trip planning resulted in us getting a tiny 2-bunk cabin which was so small we had to take turns standing up. The bathroom, across the hall from our cabin, was kept clean and tidy by the crew, which is greatly appreciated when there are shared facilities.

The food was tasty and varied, and the marine wildlife plentiful and entertaining. Daily shore excursions settled stomachs (after running in rough seas) and provided opportunities for snorkeling, short hikes lead by the expedition's naturalist, and sunbathing on the beautiful beaches.

The wildlife on the final four days was impressive, but nothing compared to that at the beginning of the trip with the grey whales. Next time, I think I'd do the trip backwards – from La Paz to Mag Bay and save the greys for a grand finale.

We had some fairly rough seas most of the days and nights we were on the ship. The Pacific side of the Baja Peninsula is not protected. And on the Gulf side, the El Norte came up – which is not unusual for this time of year, we were told. So I would recommend this week-long trip only to people who are not prone to seasickness.

14 Thank LWL

A TripAdvisor Member
“Extraordinary!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2004

I have travelled throughout Europe, been on a safari in Kenya and hiked the Grand Canyon 3 times. But I have to agree with another couple in our group. This trip "raised the bar" as far as comparing vacations.We went Whale Watching in San Ignatious Lagoon from 14 to 18 March so we just returned. Our main 2 guides were Naturalists Alex and Jose. They are extremely knowledgeable in all aspects of the area; the plants, the animals, the whales, the history, etc. They handled every detail with safety and cleanliness first and foremost. And they know how to strike the perfect combination of providing a great time for their guests while protecting the pristine environment.The food was fantatstic from the hot breakfasts every morning to the happy hour snacks and dinners every night. The cook usually stays behind the scenes but with a little coaxing we managed to get him to visit and accept our heart-felt thanks for his hard work.And, yes, there were whales. Lots and LOTS of whales. From the ones swimming around our boats during the day to the ones you could hear off in the distance at night while looking up at the most star-filled sky I've seen in years.Penny did a great job of coordinating our flights in spite of the San Diego fog that plagues us this time of year. And I'm sure there are many more people that we didn't see working behind the scenes who also deserve recognition.For one lady this was her 3rd trip to the same location with Baja Expeditions. Now we understand why she keeps coming back. I think we will too.

30 Thank A TripAdvisor Member