“Stay Away - The Hotel is a shake down” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Nelson

Hotel Nelson
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tijuana
Hotel Nelson
Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in Tijuana
San Salvador, El Salvador
“Stay Away - The Hotel is a shake down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

The front desk clerk tried to shake me down for a $10 CASH "extra guest at night fee" - This was above and beyond the rate I paid for the hotel.I spoke with another friend who had the SAME problem with the desk clerk trying to shake him down. It is VERY dangerous, There are rats too. NASTY.

BEWARE OF THIS DUMP ! ! !

Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank SimonDeLao

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
gardena,ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2008

my hotel experince was pretty good i spotted the hotel from many others the taxi driver recommended this was only one that looked nice it is old but i had no problems i would stay there again in the near future.

Stayed November 2008
costa mesa, california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

Had not been there since March 2007. It was the same. Elevator is ancient. Street noise went on till after four in the morning. $51 for a room with two beds, shower and telephone. There is a $10 charge if you would like to bring a street guest to your room. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2008
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Beverly Hills, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2007

Hotel Nelson is on the corner of Ave revolucion by the "arches".
I had stayed there before without any problem for a weekend, but on this stay, I let my guard down, and decided to trust the front desk with my papers including an envelope with $700 cash in it to be kept in the safe. Very Bad and unsafe idea, do not ever do this there. To make a long story short, the desk clerk tipped off the local policia for that corner, and this led to my returning to the hotel later that night, being handed my envelope from the safe, and led out the door, into a waiting van, and off to a deserted street corner by the waiting local starsky and hutch.
They took my things in a most obtuse manner. I've not been back to the city since, and I am not even sure they will post this , as Hotel Nelson is an advertiser to the website. If you are reading this , Trip advisor is to be applauded for thier honesty and fairness.

• Liked — location to ave revolucion
  • Disliked — Not safe
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
18 Thank vincentto

Travellers are raving about these Tijuana hotels

Beverly Hills, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2007

Whoever believes the NONSENSE about this being a "safe hotel", ..OBVIOUSLY did not put anything worth more than $50
in the hotel safe. TRUTH is; the hotel desk clerks have an arrangment with the local "cops" on the corner, and NOTHING is to be put past this group of crooks!
I had stayed there in the past, and had no trouble, though I did hide my cash in my locked suitcase. This recent LAST time, I ignorantly decided to trust the desk clerks with a sealed envelope of $700 in it, to be kept in the hotel safe. Came back after dinner that night, only to find a cop patiently waiting for me in the lobby, with the desk clerk who handed me my belongings, and said simply, " he wanted me to leave, no reason given.
One minute later, because I started to protest, {it became clear, this was all part of the plan}, the cop threw some handcuffs on me, drove me to a vacant corner,.. and you can imagine what happened there,.. , and then emptied my pockets taking only the envelope with the cash in it that he was tipped offf over, and was after.
$700 is not worth a life, but believe me- they would have done anything, to get that money. This was reported to the state dept in D.C., where it was quietly dropped, the Mexican embassy (ignored) and the San Diego police, who refused to take a report.
So go ahead and stay at the hotel nelson!

• Liked — That it might burn down
  • Disliked — it was still there
  • Stayed March 2007
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank vincentto
Rock Springs, WY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2006

The Hotel Nelson is located in the heart of downtown TJ, on the tourist drag, Avenue Revolucion. On the first floor, off the lobby, there is a barbershop and a cafe. The rooms run around 45 or 50 bucks. While the rooms are a bit frayed and worn, in my few times at this hotel, I have found them to be clean. Getting a good, long night's rest is probably not going to happen at the Nelson: the street noise, the bars and the music and the craziness of TJ goes on into the wee hours, but that's one of the reasons I choose to stay in TJ---the people-watching, the street-life, the excitement of that. At the Hotel Nelson, you are a few steps from the red zone area of street prostitutes and brothel bars along Coahuila and Constitution, etc., and if you frequent those streets, please do so with some caution and common sense. Don't be stupid by breaking the law, being drunk in public, etc., and you will most likely be OK: I know there are regular troubles with cops and scams, but I've not run into problems personally, and "watching your back", not letting your guard down, is a good idea. The Hotel Nelson has been a good place for me to stay: to enjoy TJ and not have to scurry back to the border. Staying the night can be fun and the Nelson's location is right in the heart of it all.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — not very well maintained
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled solo