New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Palacio Azteca Hotel

Palacio Azteca Hotel
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Tijuana
Costa Mesa, California
“Great value and location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very convenient located in Tijuana. The valet parking is free as well is the Internet. Book always the room with 2 queen beds or the king size bed.... these rooms are bigger and newer. Don't even think of booking with breakfast included - this is a waste of money.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Ingo S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
Ontario Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Very clean - staff is very nice and they offer help for everything.
Rooms are nice and nicely decorated. Pool was not open for end of April but that was ok as it was a bit cool anyway. Taxi stand right on the property. An OXO 24 hours across the street and a pharmacy at the light. The hotel had everything we needed. They even put bottles of water in the room.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank monetsgardens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed for a week and in February. The staff was friendly and most speak English.
The rooms are clean and have a relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank HKL909
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

This is not a cheap looking hotel but the price is great. I stayed there for 5 days the rooms r great it has satellite. Room service is good, they speak English @ service, it has gym pool n WiFi free. U could park car there at hotel but valet only. Resturant at hotel sucks dough. Would definetly recommend it and will go there again. There are lots of resturants near by and a store right in front.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank sirfar
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

I loved that i arrived 1 1/2 hrs before check-in time, not expecting to be given my room key, but I was. There were 3 receptionist working togethere to get about 4 rooms checked in, without even a mention about the ACTUAL check in time or any type of early check-in fees. The room was very nice and well kept, all the furniture, bathroom and bedding looked new and clean as it should. My only regret was not dinning in the onsite restaurant which judging by the menu would have been lovely also. I would definitely stay in this hotel again and highly recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fun_in_the_sun29
Tri-Cities, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I'd like to start by saying that the city of Tijuana has made some great improvements over the last several years. There are newly resurfaced streets, new sidewalks, handicap accessible street/sidewalk corners, nicely maintained parks, and obvious upgrades in their electrical structure. Although I've visitied TJ several times in the past decade, I've never opted to stay in town. Because the friends I was meeting with were Mexican, we decided on meeting at the Palacio Azteca.

SAFETY --- I know that there are safety advisories associated with Mexico, especially border towns. However, I travel on business throughout the USA, and I've felt more unsafe in cities like New Orleans and Detroit, where in both cases, I was threatened by knife wielding individuals. Think about how many drug related murders occur in the USA...the statistics are astounding, and yet our media does not make a big issue over it. However, an occasional rampage at the border (where literally thousands of people cross each day) is a big news item. If you do the math, your odds of encountering a problem are extremely low (keeping in mind that you travel safely as you would anywhere...no walking alone at night, etc.).

My freinds and I decided to stay at the Palacio Azteca based on the reviews and the price. Although the hotel is a old hotel, it is well maintained, updated, and very clean. My room was spotless (I'm the type of guy that checks for grime build-up in corner, dirty doors, etc.). The room and hallways smelled fresh. My bed was very comfortable. The TV was an older CRT style television, but a decent size (I'm not a TV watcher, so not much more on that). The bathroom had a full bath/shower, toilet, and sink with large counter. The hot water was actually hot, plentiful, and of decent pressure (this is a first in my Mexico visits!).

The hotel staff were cheerful and helpful. The desk staff spoke good English (and allowed me to practice my Espanol with giggles and prompting). During my three day stay, the staff provided good recommendations for shopping and eateries. They also give you a choice in how you want your fincancial transactions processed...either in USD or Pesos. I chose pesos since my Credit Union credit card has a great exchange rate and no fees (however, the hotel exchange rate was good...not gouging like some places I've encountered).

We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant. It was a fantastic spread of food (breakfast and lunch items, along with made-to-order omelets). The weather was a bit stormy while visiting, so we did not make use of the pool facilities, however, we did walk around the pool area and noticed its cleanliness and beauty.

Upon my departure, I had packed in a hurry, and managed to forget my laptop. I had made it back into the USA when I realized my error. I travelled back to the hotel to find my laptop waiting for me (very honest people).

In summary, this is a great place to stay-and-play at an amazing value (around $50 per night).

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel is a bit noisier because it directly overlooks a major boulevard. Street...