“Acapulco, Mayan Palace”

Mayan Palace Acapulco
Ranked #7 of 168 Hotels in Acapulco
Reviewed 19 December 2006

We stayed at the Mayan Palace the first week of December. We exchange our week through RCI. The sales presentation is long and sometimes pressuring, next time we will avoid going to one, It took our time away from relaxing after a long flight.

The Resort is a beautiful place with an open lobby and a gorgeus view of the Pacific Ocean. The Pool is as large as the hotel and was perfectly clean, the sand is soft and the beach is also very clean.
We had a problem with the air acconditioning, but they came to fit it as soon as we called maintenance. The property is perfectly clean and the rooms are very well kept. People is very friendly and always ready to help.

The best part of the trip was meeting Ismael Silva, we contacted him before getting there and we had the best transportation service during the entire week. Ismael is a gentle and nice man who is very kwoledgeable about Acapulco. He took us around and we were able to enjoy most of the best places. He also took us to Taxco, a beautiful small town 3 hours away from Acapulco, where we got some good Silver.
If you need a taxi driver who is trustworhy and knowledble of the area, Ismael is the one to call.

Federico and Mariana

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
22  Thank MBHC
Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed 5 December 2006

Date: Nov. 25, 2006
Reviewer: Tx Traveler

My wife and I spent a week at the Mayan Palace and had a glorious time. We were looking for a place to relax and enjoy peaceful surroundings and that is exactly what we found. There were activities that were available to those that wished to be more active, but we chose not to participate.

We enjoyed walking on the beach and lounging by the beautiful pools. The grounds are large and a daily walk along the winding walkways gave us the exercise suited to our pace.

The one bedroom suite was clean and the room service and maid service was excellent. The restaurant, The Bakal, had excellent service and all the waiters and waitresses were friendly and helpful. We were satisfied with the menu and did not try the other restaurants on site. We prefer table service instead of buffets, so we did not try any of the buffets available.

On Monday, Nov 27, we attended a Mexican Fiesta and enjoyed the music and food. Several special events were scheduled throughout the week and if you enjoy watching singers and dancers in colorful costumes performing to the native music, this will delight you.

We were taken on tours of the city by our driver, Benjamin Alarcon, who speaks excellent English. I you would like more information please feel free to email me at momfetty@hotmail.com.

We hope to be able to return to the Mayan Palace in the future.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
11  Thank txpatch
Reviewed 5 December 2006

Mayan Palace is an architectural beauty - the grounds encompass about 4 other hotel structures including Grand Palace, which has noticeably nicer rooms and view. However, the 2 buildings that make up the hotel for Mayan Palace are plenty nice themselves - comparable to a Sheraton or Courtyard Marriot. Asking for a beachfront view is pointless, because all but about 8 rooms look across just to the pool and river within the property.

We were only in the room late at night or to sleep in, so the rest of the time you share with the other hotels on the grounds or out on the town. The pool is gigantic, the drink specials are pretty good, and the there are 2 or 3 bars on the mayan grounds alone. The beach is right off a ledge which is perhaps my favorite thing of the entire place. If you explore (by explore, I mean walk across the totally secure area nowhere near the street) to the farthest bar past the Grand Mayan, you'll come to a swanky place called Mondo. Ask for Wilson, he's an awesome bartender.

The city of Acapulco - the bell hops will get you a cab, but I highly suggest arranging something prior to arrival. While he's been mentioned here many times, I can't imagine a more professional, knowledgeable local guide than Benjamin Alarcon... half of the time he called his close friend Alfonso Mendoza, another great, punctual guide.

If you're strapped for cash, have any taxi driver take you to Wal Mart for groceries. Best restaurants - Su Casa, Los Tortugas, and Los Flamingos. I'm not absolutely sure these are 100% authentic Mexican, but the most Mexican restaurants might not be the best place for tourists. Trust your guides and don't get in red and white taxis, avoid blue and white bugs, and almost all yellow and white's are tourist friendly.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
16  Thank drtroy
Reviewed 29 November 2006

What a great resort.The 4 of us stayed there through GVC
Service was excellent. The staff was always friendly-helpful and always pleasant.Food was good. The breakfast buffet was the best - nice assortment of food. The ground were always kept very immaculate. The 2 for 1 drinks were the best! My favorite was the Mango.The walking pool was unbelievable.A great way to burn off the calories! The train was cute but they should use it to go to the other areas of the resort as well. The room was clean-can be updated . The 4 of us had a great time and would definately go back.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
12  Thank Esgig
Reviewed 25 November 2006

Great Place to stay-Rooms and grounds very nice.
We dined in town and also did the city tour with cab driver Angel Flores of Yellow Cab. He is a great guy ,speaks good English and honest as well. He made great recommendations for us on the city tour and also restaurants to dine in town which made our stay very enjoyable.
Contact me gpiprah@aol.com if you need Angel's number

George

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
19  Thank georgepip
Reviewed 20 November 2006

Returned home after a week at the Mayan Palance for a week with 6 of my closest friends (all female), we had a truly wonderful vacation. The resort offered beautiful grounds and amazing services. Our trip started with the most knowledgable Mexican driver in all of Mexico, Benjamin Alarcon. He was there waiting for us, all 7 of us and 27 pieces of luggage. Benjamin offered his services as driver and tour guide. We saw more of Acapulco than just the resort, we dined at the most wonderful restaurants. The Restaurants he recommended where all different, but all the same to, The food was exquistely presented and tasted even better and the service was exceptional, but if I had to chose the best it would have to be Su Casa.

The tours we did provided us with beautiful sunsets and scenery that were picture perfect. The fiesta was entertaining and lots of fun.

The resort offered amazing pools, tubing, beach, entertainment and of course food. We laughed, ate, and drank and had the most fun we have had in a long time. We thank the Mayan Palance and our friend Benjamin Alarcon for a vacation to celebrate.

13  Thank overalready
Reviewed 14 November 2006

Six friends and I just returned from a relaxing week at the Mayan Palace in Acapulco. Our vacation was wonderful and it was made even better by our driver, Benjamin Alarcon! Benjamin was more than just a safe, courterous, funny and informative driver. He served as tour guide and concierge. Benjamin recommended suberb restaurants, made the reservations and drove us. He took us on a lovely tour of all of Acapulco through many gated communities to see how the "rich and famous" live. He was our escort to a authentic Mexican Fiesta which was full of laughs, dancing and music. Benjamin's car, a large Suburban, was clean and air conditioned. I whole-heartedly recommend him or his drivers for your vacation. Please feel free to email me at mjnwebster"at"comcast"dot"net for more information and how to get in touch with Benajmin.

Our stay at the Mayan Palace was beautiful! The grounds were lush and constantly being groomed by the staff. Speaking of staff, every employee at the Mayan was polite and friendly. We were always greeted with a smile from everyone. Our room, a two bedroom suite with living room and kitchen, was clean and large. The AC worked great. The pool area was lovely with waterfalls, a long wading pool, and kids play area with a lazy river. The kids play area did cost us extra for the day($12 USD). It has water slides only for young kids, but the lazy river with the inner tubes were very relaxing. It did surprise me that a resort that large did not have any whirlpool baths. The only ones were in the spa for guests who paid for spa packages. Oh well...The Pacific Ocean was warm and great fun. It did have a very strong undertow when we were there so poor swimmers should be carfeful. There are palm "huts" (I don't know the proper name for them) on the beach with plenty of lounge chairs.

The food at the Mayan was very good. I have read mixed reviews here, but I had no compliants. We ate only at the buffets at the Mayan. The buffets had so many choices, I find it hard to believe that someone could not find something they enjoy. We purchased the 7 day breakfast buffet ($87 USD) which included a champagne Sunday brunch. This was well worth the money. The "all you care to eat" brunch filled us until dinner. They served the buffet until 12:30 pm for the late sleepers. The buffet included omletes, french toast, pancakes, breakfast meats, potatoes, cereals, lunch meats, yogurt, and wonderfully fresh fruits and juices. They have two buffets. One near the main pool /lobby and one in the Grand Mayan. I think the one in the Grand Mayan was little better since it did have freshly made waffles and pancakes, but both buffets were very good. The restaurants in the Grand Mayan do have AC for those hot days. The Mayan does also have a 7 day meal plan for their dinner buffets, but we did not purchase it since we knew we would be eating "off grounds" many nights. Make sure you purchase the meal plan when you check in or the next morning. I had known of the meal plan from reading reviews here, but it was not offered by the front desk staff. It will save you money to purchase it.

We also enjoyed wonderful dinners in the city. Linda Vista had magnificent views of Acapulco bay. It was like looking at millions of sparkling lights around the Bay while eating. The servers were excellent , the prices reasonable, and the food was delicious. I had the steak Diana in wine sauce, prepared at your table. Mmmm. We also ate at El Olivdo on the beach. The decor was very "new age". The fish dishes were very good. If you are a chocolate lover, you must try the chocolate sponge cake for dessert. However, my favorite restaurant was Su Casa. It was the most beautiful restaurant that I have ever seen. We ate on a white veranda with pink flowering trees covered in lights. Each table had flowers and white lace tablecloths...not macho, I know, very feminine and sweet. The service and food at Su Casa was fantastic. Try one of fish dishes that is cooked in tin foil. If you don't like fish, the steak was excellent too. Make sure you start the meal with one of their oversized margaritas and end it with the coconut ice cream!

We also took a sunset boat tour of Acapulco Bay. It cost $22 USD and was all you can drink. They had beer, tequila, vodka and rum with only soda mixers. The cruise was a beautiful way to enjoy an Acapulco sunset. The ride was a little choppy and a couple of women in our group got a bit "green" so beware if you are prone to seasickness. If not, relax and enjoy! We saw two whales and dolphins swimming along with the boat!

As for the sales presentationat the Mayan, watch out! We did not go, but we heard from many guests that the sales people were very pushy. You do get perks for going...free show tickets, free meal,10% off all room charges.If you are willing to give up 3 hours of your vacation and have the will power to say no, then go for it. We did not think it was worth it.

A couple more bits of advice. Bargain, bargain, bargain with the vendors on the beach. All beaches in Mexico are public, so vendors will come up to you often. A pleasant, "no thanks", is all you need if you are not interested. For the best deal, in my opinion, find Lupe for a massage. Lupe is an older women who has been giving massages for over 20 years. She will rub every muscle from your head to your toes (while on the beach in your bathing suit) for $20 USD. It is a small price to pay to get all those kinks out and walk around like a noodle.

My , my I have shared a lot of info! Can you tell that I loved my Acapulco vacation?!? I hope you love yours too!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends