“2008 Summer Disaster at El Mirador”

El Mirador Acapulco Hotel
Ranked #32 of 167 Hotels in Acapulco
Laurel, Maryland
“2008 Summer Disaster at El Mirador”
Reviewed 7 March 2009

My husband and I stayed at El Mirador in August 2008. In one word, the experience was LOUSY. The bedroom door rattled in the wind, the ceiling in the bathroom was falling down and the lighting was poor. In addition, there was mold in the curtains in the bedroom.
The wash cloths were torn and tattered. On the second night when we asked for and additiional wash cloth (only one was left in the bathroom) we were told that none were available.
The food was OK, especially the breakfast.
We would definitely not recommend this hotel

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rasta4life

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boulder Colorado
Reviewed 27 November 2008

I paid $45 for a double (2 guests) during this off season time. I used it just for a stop rest on my way to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo.

This hotel has been there for more than 75 years it used to be a high-end spot during the 50`s and 60`s. It faces La Quebrada the famous spot for cliff divers in Acapulco. No beach. A 10 minute taxi ($7-8 USD) ride to La Costera where all the bars, discos, and action takes place. It is just out of the main Acapulco bay.

Nicely kept. Rooms are clean and basic. Some details show age (e.g. old cooler left in the whole in the wall not working, it has now very modern coolers installed in a different location).

Pools are basic but nice.

Basic hotel to go to sleep after speding the day some where else.

• Liked — Price
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank EnjoytheJourney
Baytown, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I thought the hotel would have been a little more updated. The place I am sure was gorgeous in its prime and could be again witha little tender love and care. I am not sure why it is not being kept up and updated with things like ice and updated furniture and appliances. I had a wonderful time staying in the traditional area of Acapulco but found very little english speaking people at the hotel or in the area, but hey I WAS in Mexico! We found the trip to be good overall but the pictures of the hotel need to updated to show that it is not what it used to be. I think it is a great place for active people who do not mind stairs and walking. The pools need to be kept better and the saltwater pool was NEVER open or even looked like it has been it quite a while. Would love to see the hotel renovated and updated!!!

• Liked — The view and cliff divers
  • Disliked — Need updated furniture and appliances.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank taikman

Travellers are raving about these Acapulco hotels

Oregon
Reviewed 20 January 2008

We checked into hotel expecting a 1 bedroom suite. We were brought to a dingy small room with 2 double beds that looked like the linens hadn't been washed. The room was dark and unkept. One pool wasn't in order and the others were dirty.

We went to the front desk to get an upgrade. He wanted $200 for a bigger room. After checking out the upgrade we decided to endure for the night. The television didn't come in except one channel in black and white.

We went to the dive show which was nice, but got bit by small bugs. I got bit during my sleep and the bites were about silver dollar size. They were visible for weeks.

We left at sun up to get the smell of the room out of our heads, and got stopped by the cops on our way out of town. We had to pay $150 cash to avoid what we were told would be $580 at the precinct.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone,.

• Liked — location to dive show
  • Disliked — Dirty dingy rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank sunwish28
Roslyn, PA
Reviewed 20 January 2008

Stayed at this hotel Jan 2-Jan 4 2008. It's a two star hotel but after reading good reviews on Expedia, it didn't sound that bad. This hotel is situated on the other side of Acapulco, not on the side where the beach is or even where there is a lot happening. Only good thing is the cliff diver show but even if you don't stay near this hotel, a cab ride over for one night is more than enough! Got to the hotel, checked in and got one of the crappy rooms, the TV was missing buttons, TV reception was crap even after they tried to fix it twice. The bed was missing comforters, no alarm clock, the balcony had old dirty chairs and table, beds were hard, no iron, no hair dryer, no coffee maker, no shampoo, conditioner, or shower cap. the pool had very little chairs, probably only 10 chairs in total. The breakfast buffet was good but the food was cold even though it was supposed to be "heated" in the buffet trays......It had a great view of the sunset but overall not a good hotel to stay at. we were not looking for luxury when booking this hotel, we were looking for an average hotel but this hotel doesn't even meet the average standards that you get from a U.S. MOTEL!!!! Would not stay at this hotel again!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kiingb
UK
Reviewed 25 December 2007

Well, i booked this hotel for 3 nights on this website, and read all the reviews, and in 2 minds as to what it would be like. Basically i had a bit of spare time at the end of a tour, so thought a bit of hot weather before returning to a wintry uk was a good idea.

The room (127 - has a good view) was ok, with just some annoying little problems. I don't think it was particularly busy, so probably why i got a good room with a view? The tv didn't work at first, and then i only had one channel when it was fixed, and only on day 2 did i realise i needed a remote after the receptionist asked 'have you not got a remote control?' Once i had one, it was fine. By that point i had realised the lock on the door leading to the balcony was not fixed too securely, but i fixed that using the old matchstick trick. The shower was difficult to get into shower mode (one of those with the plunger to divert water from bath to shower) and i gave up with it the end and just used the bath. Other than that the room was fine. The aircon is switched on when you arrive, and you have to ask for someone to come and adjust with a control if too cold/hot. Perhaps someone has taken a liking to tv and aircon remote controls?

I used the restaurant once, and the food was fine, and the service was ok. That was during the afternoon, so i cannot comment on the evening, when the menu and prices change. Note there are shops just down the road from the hotel, so you will save a bit money if you get coke/beer etc there.

I watched the Divers several times, which is very entertaing. Basically, the show goes on a few times a day, and you will notice coaches arriving for the event, usually filling up the viewing area (70 peso entry i think) and the restaurant area.

In general i found the staff at reception friendly and helpful. I can speak some Spanish which helps, but usually there was someone around who could speak a bit of English.

The pools are ok, but i'm not so sure how clean they were. The salt water pool at the bottom by the sea was ok, but the middle pool had a few bits floating around on top, due to workmen scrapping off paint overhead.

The Hotel Salesman (had a El Mirador Hotel t-shirt on). After i arrived, feeling tired after travel from Mexico City, and a couple of weeks on tour, i thought to go for a wander, but got accosted by a guy called Martin. He was friendly enough recommending things, and how he could get discount for me on breakfast and on some tours. I agreed to the discount breakfast and paid him 50pesos (normally 120), and they would just show me around and tell me what they do next morning. When i went to meet him at 8.30am, another guy met me (the bad cop!) who was more direct. He told me there would be presentation lasting at least an hour, then asked me if i had a credit card, and how much i earned? Basically, trying to get you to sign up to some sort of deal for next year i think. At that point i told him to forget it, and i'll have the 50p back. He had no knowledge of it, and i would have to see Martin about it!! Well, 50 pesos adds up to about £2 uk, i'm on vacation, and i can see i would have to spend some time and effort to get that back, so i just wrote it off. Easier. Then i don't have to bother to even speak to them. I did see the Martin geezer the next day who appologised, and promised the 50p back, but i never expected it, and i never got it. So, be aware and i would advise steer clear.

As that breakfast didn't materialise, i took a walk into town, which is not far at all. I found a nice place for breakfast, where the food was good, the proprieters friendly and helpful, and it only cost 45 pesos. I went back again the next day for the same. I wrote the name down, but lost the note, but basically walk down the hill and you will come to a sort juction as you get into town (bank on right), turn right, follow road nearly to sea front, and 2nd last place before the end on the right.

Overall, other than the encounter with the Salesman, it was a pleasant stay. I arrived not sure what it would be like after reading all the reviews, and it was a bit better than i expected.

• Liked — The room and the view were good
  • Disliked — Not exactly well maintained so if you can accept little annoyances then it is fine
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
Chicago
Reviewed 19 December 2007

So here I am in Acapulco Mexico and everyone tells me I have to see the Cliff Divers at the El Mirador Hotel. I sent an email to the hotel through thier website 3 days ago asking if we needed reservations and never heard from them. So on a Wednesday Night my girlfriend and I drive to the hotel. We planned to make a whole night of it including Dinner and the Cliff divers. To eat in the restaurant with a good view of the divers you have to pay $39 US per person. This price includes beverages, Appetizer, Main Course, and Dessert. From the minute we are seated we quickly observe bad service. We waited 15 minutes before anyone took our drink order. Then another 10 minutes to get those drinks. Now on this night there was more waiters than people eating in the restaurant. Not a good sign. After they took our order we waited more. The soup arrived and it was ok. Then the main course arrived. I had the filet mignon. I seriously almost broke the table trying to hold the steak steady while cutting through it with the dull knife they gave me. My girlfriend had the chicken parmesan. She hacked through it and had two bites and then went to the bathroom and threw up. We waited some more and finally got dessert. Again this was ok as I think it is hard to mess up 2 scoops of ice cream. At this point I had enough of the hotel and we rapidly left the place.

If I was ever to go back and well once you see the cliff divers once that is more than enough, I would only pay the $3 and watch the divers from the observation area. This is much closer to the action and then I would head back to the center of the tourist area where there are many good restaurants. I would definately not stay at this hotel. It is the farthest hotel from the airport and a good 20 minute ride to where all the good shopping and site seeing is along with the nightlife and entertainment.

So to conclude, see the divers it was awesome. Save yourself and your stomach the trouble and eat somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2007