“Grand Mayan was great, but Roberto Alarcon was even better!”

The Grand Mayan Acapulco
Ranked #2 of 167 Hotels in Acapulco
“Grand Mayan was great, but Roberto Alarcon was even better!”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I just returned from a week at the Grand Mayan with my family. The resort was beautiful. Everything was clean and well maintained and the staff was fantastic. The staff was friendly and a few even knew our names by the end of the first day. The restaurants are nothing to rave about. I would recommend to either cook your meals or go restaurants outside of the resort.

6 of us stayed in a 2 bedroom suite which each had their own bathroom and jacuzzi tub in addition to a plunge pool on the balcony. I wouldn't recommend more than 4 adults staying in a 2 bedroom suite even though it can fit 6 adults and 2 kids. The couches in the living room serve as the extra beds which are not comfortable at all.

The aqua park & pools were great, especially the lazy river! The beach was nice, but it's hard to relax when a vendor is coming by every minute asking if you want to buy something. They do offer massages on the beach for about $200 pesos for an hour. Not a bad deal if you just want a relaxing massage. Of the 3 I tried, Paulina was the best.

Thanks to TripAdvisor, we contacted Roberto Alarcon (robertoalrey@yahoo.com.mx) to be our tour guide & driver. Roberto is a warm & easy going person who was born and raised in Acapulco and very knowledgeable of the city. He made our trip very enjoyable and felt like he was part of the family. He also has free flowing tequila and makes mean pina coladas and margaritas! I highly recommend Roberto to anyone who is traveling to Acapulco. He is one of the reasons my family wants to return to Acapulco. You definitely won't be disappointed.

2 Thank jenknee21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Atlanta
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Grand Mayan was wonderful experience. The people were very friendly & courteous. We made
friends for life. Our driver Ricardo Alvarez is the best in the business. Prompt,courteous,knowlegable on dining,events & sites to see.Also,Henry & Joel who work in sales were very good to us. They took us out to dinner & took our god son out for night on the town; since he just graduated from college.Grand Mayan is beautiful the landscaping,architecture,rooms & most of all the people.

Room Tip: Oceanview 6th floor or above @ the Grand Mayan. The view is great.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank HeavyAtlanta
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We had a great Acapulco vacation in April 2012 at the Grand Mayan. The resort was clean, maids were fantastic, and I highly recommend the hot stone massage! We got our tour-guide/taxi-driver's name off the trip advisor site. Baldo Gomez can be reached at baldo-work@hotmail.com We initially wrote Baldo just for a ride from the airport and didn't realize how well we would be taken care of. He had a sign with our name on it, took us to get groceries on our way to the hotel (all for a very reasonable rate) and speaks excellent English (much appreciated for those of us who just know a few Spanish words!). The reason why we chose him is because he responded very quickly to our email, is a licensed tour guide (3 year certification), insured, and has clearance to go onto several different resort properties. Note - this is not the case for all the drivers listed as other people's favorites! Baldo took us on a guided City tour and added a lot because of his background as a history teacher. He was very helpful in explaining the culture and history of the city. We went to the chapel lookout, fort museum, and he arranged for a meal over-looking the cliff divers (and more). There are places in the city or rural areas that are older, but we felt safe. The people we met through Baldo were very nice local families who made our trip more personal. Our absolute favorite was the Lagoon Jungle ego-tour....we saw many different species of birds and ate the best meal of the trip at the family's restaurant where they prepare the fish with a spicy red sauce. It was a special day for us and the highlight of the week. When we weren't touring around, we certainly enjoyed laying by the pool at the resort and doing the lazy river ride. We didn't think the food at the Grand Mayan was very good, but the rooms were huge and very comfortable. we loved having a balcony. The only disappointment is not getting an ocean front room. It wasn't very busy and we thought the hotel could have accommodated us better in that respect. Great vacation overall.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at The Grand Mayan Resort in Acapulco. We traveled with another couple. We were somewhat nervous about traveling from the airport to the resort, never having been to Mexico. So prior to leaving, I looked on Trip Advisor for good reviews on a private driver. It was the best decision I could have made. Baldo Gomez ( baldo-work@hotmail.com) made our vacation the best it could be. He promptly emailed me back and arranged to pick us up right when our flight came in. Baldo and his nephew Ramon were waiting for us when we got off the plane. They took our luggage put it in their very clean and comfortable suburban and have us an ice cold beer. They both are fluent in English and were able to help us find our way. They took us right to the Mega (very similar to Walmart) and even helped us in the grocery store. They then took us and our groceries to the resort. They work with Grand Mayan and were on call at all times for us. Their prices are very reasonable and we NEVER once felt unsafe. Ramon took us to a local Sunset cruise one of the nights we were there. This was so nice! Ramon took us there, helped us buy our tickets and was waiting for us when the cruise came back. Baldo took us on a tour of the city of Acapulco. It was amazing! We got to see a lot of the history of Acapulco. We also got to see the cliff divers and have a delicious lunch and go shopping. At the end of our stay, Baldo took us back to the airport. Again, I cannot recommend them enough! They have much more to offer as well. We really had a great trip thanks to these two gentleman.

Now about the resort! The resort was beautiful!!! Breathtaking views and luxurious rooms. Whether you are traveling as a couple or family, you will not be disappointed! The pool is amazing, happy hour is fun and the restaurants are good. We went grocery shopping, being that we were on a budget and the resort is not all inclusive. We ate breakfast and lunch in our room which had a full kitchen, and ate out for dinner every night. The meals are reasonably priced about 9$-18$ depending on what you order. We honestly had no complaints, considering the deal we got on our room (groupon). We did splurge on breakfast our last morning and it was worth it!! Be advised
you do have to pay to use their wireless and the gym, but there was so much
relaxing to be done, it didn't even matter!
The pools and the beaches are amazing! The staff was wonderful and the people of Acapulco were welcoming. Also, if you have time (45 min) go to the time share
presentation! They are very nice people,
not too pressuring and you get 10% off your bill at the end of the week. If you are looking into something like this, they really do have good deals. Overall, I have to say this was one of the best vacations ever!!!
Here is Baldo's info if you are traveling to Acapulco:
Baldo Gomez, baldo-work@hotmail.com
phone: 744-160 16 04

• Stayed April 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 24 April 2012

First the facts: We stayed here April 8-15, which is spring break in Mexico. Resort was full. This is a very family friendly hotel with waterpark for kids. It is located right on the beach and is part of a complex of other resorts and what I believe are private condos. There are two other Mayan resorts on the premises with a free shuttle connecting them. The Mayan Palace has a newer, slightly better pool area but I prefer the Grand as a whole.. Sea Garden is not worth seeing.

The resort is located in the southern region of Acapulco which is know as "diamond." It is a 10 minute ride to the airport. Further north is the "gold" region which includes the famous Acapulco Bay. The diamond region is far quieter and much less touristy than the somewhat congested gold region.

My first recommendation would be to call ahead and reserve an ocean-view room if possible. We got stuck with a room facing away from the beach and the view left a little to be desired. We requested numerous times with the front desk to be switched to an ocean view room but we were denied each and every day for a week, being told that the hotel was full and there were no departures. I find that hard to believe. No departures for a week? We had a 1 bedroom suite, which was huge with almost full kitchen (only thing missing was oven), bathroom with 3 sinks, flat screen t.v.'s, etc. There was even a large tub in the bedroom. Appointments were not lavish but instead more comtemporary comfortable. Curiously, there was a small, unheated pool on the balcony that was about the size of a jacuzzi. I have no idea as to the purpose of this pool as no adult would enjoy it. Perhaps installed for kids. I don't know.

The hotel itself is quite beautiful. Clean and well maintained. For a bargain price paid for through Groupon, I was prepared for much worse but was actually quite delighted. Nice, large pools with lazy river, lake with complimentary kayaks, and beautiful ocean view. Just about every staff member, except for housekeeping, speaks passable English.

The not so good: For a family friendly resort, curiously there is no kids menu available through room service so be prepared to shell out $10-$20 for your kid's meals. Room service prices are reasonable. The pool complex closes at 8pm, which I believe is way too early. Often, they shut down the water for the kids slides at 6pm??? No bueno. Also, watch out for the cabbies. Independent cabs are not allowed on the premises unless specifically requested by a guest. Only Mayan approved cabs are allowed to pick up guests without a prior reservation. There is a set list of prices to specific destinations that is mandated by the Mayan, such as Walmart $60p, Cici Waterpark $180p, etc. But their cabbies often ignore the set prices if they suspect you don't know about them. My first day, my cabbie tried to charge me $100p for a ride to Walmart, and my 2nd trip to Walmart a different cabbie tried to charge $120p.

Also, these cabbies will try to sell you "personal" tours. I tried it out for $65us. Basically, they drive you around to a few touristy sites such as the diving show (quite boring), crocodile park (smelly, dirty, disappointing), and the cross on top of the mountain. I'm fairly certain that they get a cut out of what you spend for activities and dining. Mine was always directing us towards boat tours, restaurants and things like that and always walking with me to the counter, making sure he got credit for us. He also would steer us towards shops that were owned by his family and friends. I would not recommend these taxi tours.

Restaurants: We had the breakfast buffet at the cafe, which was quite pricey at about $240p. It was good, but not worth the price. We also had the Saturday evening buffet at the restaurant next to The Bar. Not good. Everything was bland and tasted like water. Room service was okay, about as expected, as was the poolside foodservice.

Lastly, we were offered 10% off all room charges and discounts for activities if I took part in a 45 minute (actual 2 hours) sales presentation. I said ok, since I thought I would be saving at least $100+ by going to a 45 minute presentation. It is a one-on-one presentation. They keep saying that it is NOT a timeshare. After I denied repeated attempts to convince me to purchase, they sent the supervisor over, who was EXTREMELY rude to me. Then I was sent to a different office who offered me a different sales presentation. The second office informed me that the first presentation was for a timeshare and that I was wise not to purchase. ??? So they have sales staff that contradict each other???

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, especially if you have kids. We moved over to Las Brisas for our last night in ACA and liked it better, although not great for kids.

Room Tip: request an ocean view room in advance.
2 Thank hair3point14
ga
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is a beautiful resort, and our guide Roberto Alercon was wonderful. So gracious, and knowledgeable, and just made our trip extra special. He even arranged to replace a defective ring for me, that I bought in the market! We highly recommend him.

Room Tip: Dont get a room over Club Mondo. You wont get any sleep.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Wallingford
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Grand Mayan is a fabulous place to go with family. We had an ocean view suite with direct ocean view. Weather was PERFECT all 7 days! The rooms included a kitchen, dining area, living room, 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths. Each bedroom led to a walk out balcany as well as the living room. A plunge pool was on the balcony which my kids loved. Rooms were very clean and spacious. Several pools are on the property and there is one especially for children with multiple slides and spraying fountains. It is not deep so I was very comfortable having my 4 year old play without following her every move. That particular pool also has a lazy river that surrounds it. Lots to do on the beach. We rented quads, kids had their hair braided, ocean side massages,horse rides and lots of vendors selling Mexican cha chas. Vendors could get a bit annoying. Ocean in front of hotel was kept clean but walking along the beach I was a bit disappointed to see garbage in front of other properties. We had a tour guide that we found on trip advisor prior to our trip. He came highly recommended and it was obvious why. Roberto picked us up at the airport with a smile and a shot of tequilla. :) He walked with us throught the grocery store helping us to find items and read the labels (our spanish is very limited)He is very proud of his home and we spent a full day of our vacation touring Alcapulco with him. Additionally, he picked us up several times to take us out to dinner and shopping for silver. He knew the perfect places to dine. Su Casa is a MUST! Don't bother renting a car or calling a cab. You will love Roberto. His contact is robertoalrey@yahoo.com.mx. If you play tennis, the courts and tennis instruction was awesome. I don't play golf but I heard the course there was very good too. Again, if you have younger kids, this is a FABULOUS place to stay. Good luck getting them to leave the kids pool area. One of the best pools I have ever seen at a resort.

1 Thank Lauren B