“No Frills Decent Hotel”

La Isla Huatulco & Beach Club
Ranked #45 of 48 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed 30 March 2017

Our first trip to the Bahia's of Huatulco and overall we loved the area. Over the last few years we've always been able to find really good deals for a one week stay in some amazing all-inclusive properties along the Pacific coast, so when Air Canada Vacations offered up this property on a flash sale we jumped on it! The hotel is fairly new and well maintained, and is located a short 15 minute cab ride ($30 pesos) from town, or a 20 minute walk to the beach club. Expect some traffic noise as the property is located inland on a fairly busy road in an isolated wooded area connecting two much more developed bay areas. Food and beverages are OK, with less variety than you'll find in a comparable Cuban all-inclusive.

Unfortunately, for the first time after 25 years of travelling down south, my wife (and I by default) lost two days to Montezuma's Revenge :( - and so did at least three other Canadian travelers we were aware of!!! Our rep told us not to drink the water (which we never do) and that the hotel uses purified/bottled water to prepare all the food and beverages in the hotel. We feel that some local water may have been used in the frozen drinks served at the beach club - so BEWARE or drink bottled beverages to be sure.

There are WAY nicer properties in the area, and we will definitely return to the area, if we can grab a deal! You get the rugged and mostly unspoiled beauty of the coast with a relatively "safe" town experience if you want it.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms with cathedral ceilings and morning sun are best.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TO_Gringo

Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

Ok
We returned to La Isla a second time
New: all inclusive
Much more enjoyable
But the shuttle to latitude club/beach runs every two hours now bummer
So you can have a nice walk to there in 20 minutes
Or ride the taxi (30 pesos)
Or wait for tithe shuttle

Seems the owner has aquired another resort and the hour you need it it is going to there (la isla natural)

The resort seems to have ran down a little with the pool appearing a little mucky and in need of a shock/cleaning

The room (3rd) floor was nice till the sink started working overtime, we did our best to contain the mess with the trash can and a regular emptying
Maintenance
They showed the next day and remidied the issue

Our maid was fantastic
We saw how hard she had worked cleaning up after us and chocolate and cash was on the pillow every day for her

All in all the food at the hotel (breakfast and supper) were very good but don't expect steak and lobster
The latitude was very good(lunch only) and it offered us snacks too
Try the burger with cheese and bacon-yum and a side of fries (that's a snack?) it helps if you understand a little Spanish as the menu is not in English
We noted a large flat screen in our room with English stations on it
This resort has only a little evening entertainment it comprises of a talented singer in the eating area and we enjoyed his songs both English and Spanish

A side trip (30 minute walk) found us in front of the all new super chee (has a new name) and they seem to have everything from swimming gear to pigs feet to cheap prices on beer/booze, and everything else including new motorcycles-crazy

We recommend the bay tour which is cheaper if you ask the gal sitting at the table in the lobby than the tour Rep

All in all we love this place and look forward to returning soon, yeah it's not a true 4 star but with all the improvements since our last visit 8 months ago we still recommend it

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 1Vacationhunter
Reviewed 3 March 2017

My wife and I stayed at La Isla in early February, 2017. In 2016 we did breakfast plan only, which we prefer because we head off to one of the many area beaches afterwards, lunch there and eat dinner in La Crucecita. Why eat marginal all inclusive- which is what La Isla offers - when there's so many good local restaurants?
My overall impressions haven't changed much and I like the Isla. It's a clean basic resting place, much different than the large sprawling all-inclusives. However, it's definitely not a 4 star, at best a 3, and then only when compared to equivalent Cuban resorts. Having said this, I like it because it's quiet and hosts a mix of Mexicans and foreigners. Its associated Chahue Beach Club with pool, bar, and restaurant, is ok and actually the food is better there than at the hotel but the menu is limited. It offered Tlayudas (big flat tacos with a tortilla on each side), the best guacamole we had in Huatulco this year, and decent grilled shrimp. After our daily outings, we returned to the Isla beach club for snacks and drinks. The beer was weak, so the darker negra was our choice, and we had to teach the bartenders how we liked our Margaritas, "Sin asucar con mucho tequila, por favor": no sugar and lots of tequila, please. Decent tipping helps! Drinks at the hotel poor bar were the same.
I had two odd events happen at the beach club with Euletario, one of the waiters.He brought me a bill to sign that also listed many food and drink items from a few other guests as their room numbers were also noted. I questioned him on this and he said it's not a problem as everything on the bill was 'all inclusive'. Perhaps other guests forgot to sign. Who knows but it seemed odd and I wouldn't have done that again. Another day, he brought us a shot of tequila after we had been served by Wilberth for hours. I heard both waiters discuss this in Spanish, and in retrospect perhaps a bit heated, though the best I could understand was that the shot of tequila was to generate a better tip. Quickly after the tequila shot, Euletario brought us the bill to sign and I tipped him quite handsomely thinking it's being shared with our main waiter Wilberth who worked long and hard for us that day. On leaving the pool area, I checked with Wilberth to ensure all tips were shared among staff and I learned they weren't. I then spoke to Euletario telling him the tip was to be shared with Wilberth. So, IMO, Euletario was snatching up tips that he hadn't actually earned. And I suspect he was aware I knew his antics as he avoided me from then on. I intended to speak to the Isla manager about this but she wasn't available when I sought her out.
Going forward, when I signed a pool food/bar bill from anyone, I put a large X through the open space below what we had consumed -to ensure there'd be no add ons - and I gave the tip directly to the waiter who had served us. You should always hand your tip to your waiter, as Mexicans are insulted when money is left on the table --- it's not personal, it's a cultural thing. BTW, the other waiters were great, in particular Urbano who spoke good English and had worked legally north of the border. I don't mind if the staff no habla ingles as it helps me to practice and improve espanol. Knowing some spanish always help out and quickly builds rapport but it's not necessary.
Though we went all inclusive, we only ate the breakfasts which were good, and food at the beach club. I never ate at the poolside bar though I sampled the main restaurant dinners twice to see what they're like. There were only 3-4 main entree choices, all quite Mexican though tasty. The big issue was the first sampler I had was cold. The second sampler, shortly after the dining room opened, was hot and ok but not as good as virtually anything in town. By going all inclusive, total cost of the vacation compared to last years. I could have saved a bit of dough had I not had mid-afternoon drinks and snacks on the beaches. Once I learned to forego that in lieu of drinks and snacks at the beach club, all inclusive made sense.
One change at the Isla this year was that we had fresh new towels in our room daily. No shortages or waiting. Hotel staff had been renewed, as some went to the more prestigious La Isla Natura. We missed a few of them though the always cheerful and entertaining Daniel appeared to lead the breakfast serving team.
In summary, the Isla is ok, actually good, if you don't have high expectations and don't rely upon it to be a full 4 star resort. I've seen deals there for as low as $600/week CAD, taxes in, from Toronto. On the high end, March break is listed for mid 1600 bucks. No way, Jose.
For me, the Isla is a bit too far from La Crucecita to walk there. Possibly once, but certainly not both ways. You can walk to restaurants at the Chahue marina or a few hotels & restaurants towards town. On the down side, tourism in Huatulco has increased, empty lots are filling up with hotels - Hilton & Starbucks are now there - and its losing some of its charm for more commercialism. The once peculiar and quaint Superche supermarket has been renovated and modernized. Huatulco still has many beaches though a few of the formerly secluded ones now have business or hotels such as the megamonster Secrets on Conejos bay. Once it was built, that beach was fenced off and is exclusive to hotel guests only. That's the price of progress though I still love Huatulco.
I'd unequivically go there again if the price were in the low eight hundred CAD or less. If more, there are better values in Huatulco.

Room Tip: Second floor overlooking pool club bar to watch evening activity.
4  Thank SvenfromCanada
Reviewed 2 March 2017

Before staying here we were not 100% sure what to expect based off of most reviews, lack of photots & seeing as the beach is not directly linked to the resort. After our week stay from Feb.21-28 I can now say this resort was well worth it! We flew Air Canada and got 2 adult all inclusive for under $800 each (amazing deal for Mexico). Below I would like to help out any travellers that want better insight into La Isla resort.

PROS:
-The staff and cooks on resort & at the beach club were very nice and helpful, even with the language barrier they do their best to understand and get whatever it is you want done!
-The hotel itself is clean & modern, we stayed on the third (top) floor in room 301. Great view of the pool from this room. Pleased with the cleanliness of the room and how comfortable each nights sleep was! The high ceilings were also a plus. A/C worked well everyday keeping us cool when we needed it.
-Both pools (at the resort & at the beach club) were well maintained and comfortable to swim in. The beach was a short shuttle ride away with running times at (9a.m, 11, 1, 4, 6 & the last one returning people back to resort at 7) this didn't cause any sort of problem for us as it was also a short walk to & from the resort and the taxis are super cheap! approx. $2 CAD. The beach itself was beautiful and hot with nice water temperature.
-Food on resort was good! Even for a generally picky eater you can find something you like. Snack bar is from 11am-11pm giving you the option to snack on burgers, fries, chicken nuggets etc in between meals. The main buffet isn't the biggest i've seen but it is a smaller resort. With that being said all the food was still very good including off resort at the La Isla beach club. There is a little more variety there, that is also where we would spend most of our days eating lunch.
-This resort felt very safe, a lot of cool things are walking distance or a short cab ride which was unlike any other resort i've been to. This includes restaurants, beaches, bars, the market & a variety of shops.

CONS:
-NO BEACH CHAIRS. This wasn't a deal breaker but definitely a disappointment considering all other resorts i've been to have this option. Many times during our stay I would have liked to lounge on the beach but this would have been only achievable with my beach towel. With that being said there still were beds close to the beach and chairs surrounding the pool, which is where we preferred to lay!
-Maids were clean and trustworthy BUT would come at random times to clean the room which would be nice if they had more of a schedule so we could know when we should be out of the room by.
-Shower was nice but would get on the floor if the door was open even a little bit and also took awhile to find a balance between HOT & COLD.

Overall this trip was amazing, it is what you make of it and if you can get this place for under $900 I would definitely go for it! For our first time in Mexico this was a treat:)

Room Tip: Any third floor room is nice with higher ceilings, elevators can help you to and from.
3  Thank travelfreak0912
Reviewed 28 February 2017

The hotel itself was nice. The rooms were good. The beds were very comfortable. The staff was excellent. The food in the restaurant in the hotel was not to our liking, we ate out most nights. The beach resort food was very very good. That was lunch only and we only had it twice. We usually don't bother with lunch. The resort ran out of beer and straws different days which didn't bother us too much but enough that we probably just won't go back. I hate to say this because the staff at the resort are so great but when the owners don't provide them with what is needed to give a guest a great experience, it needs to be mentioned.

Room Tip: top floor was nice, there are elevators
2  Thank RBNSRS
Reviewed 28 February 2017

We went to this resort with an open mind.We found the staff very helpful even with our limited Spanish and their limited English. Our room was comfortable - but lacking in a few amentities we are used to. We would have appreciated a fridge mostly for some cold bottles of water. You could get some recognizable food for breakfast along with a selection of Mexican food. We never ate lunch at the hotel but did at the Beach Club - I can say this was delicious. We tried everything there. Dinner - well wehad it once and then we ate out every night. There were limited selections and no a lacarte. As a hotel that wants to encourage foreign visitors I would recommend a few more choices that would appeal to many tastes. As a hotel good. But as an all inclusive resort needs work

2  Thank mawsym2
Reviewed 27 February 2017

Like others after reading the bad reviews I was very nervous about our stay. However, becaue of the bad reviews people came to check out the hotel and a lot of things have turned around. It was clean, never ran out of anything and the staff was very helpful and friendly. The beach house food is fabulous, different options for dinner and we were happy to eat there and also eat out. We loved the beautiful walk to the beach everyday although there is a shuttle. I would go back there again as it served our purpose of an r & r holiday.

2  Thank Kim D