“Amazing New Year's Eve Party!”

Las Brisas Huatulco
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I am going to be as honest as possible - we booked this trip last minute - it is the first vacation that I did not do a ton of research on before I booked..... When we first arrived, I thought oh no... it was not the type of resort we were used to - but by the time we left - we can't wait to go back! You need to 'get the lay of the land' here as this resort as it is really big! Our room was the furthest away from the lobby - you need to take a shuttle - these shuttles come instantly when called and it is a nice ride - we stayed in the Beach club area - the hours are not wonderful but between 6-7 they offer light snacks and drinks (including bottled Corona) they are also open from 7-11am for a light breakfast and coffee. There is a nice 'secret beach' in this area and you can walk to the lobby along the beach. I would upgrade your room when you arrive - much cheaper!

There are 4 beaches - one has jelly fish... the rest are great! lots of water sports and snorkling. There are also many tennis courts, basket ball courts, volley ball, badminton, etc. tons of sports,.

The pool is ok - not wonderful for kids - you are not allowed to dive or jump..... no swim up bar, but bar close and lots of drink service by the pool.

Wonderful views everywhere! Sunny everyday and hot - this spot definitely has perfect weather!
Food - decent.... not as good as other hotels
Drinks - great drinks from mixed drinks to beer/premium drinks and beer - wonderful service

Kids Club - much better than it looks - lots of crafts, wii, movies, etc., climbers, trampoline, etc.

New Year's Eve was the best ever!! They took 3 days to set up - it was amazing - beautiful - lots of dancing characters, bands, amazing fireworks, 100's of air balloons, etc. Kids Club was also open so we put our kids in from 8-10 so that they wouldn't get bored - Steak and lobster for dinner - I would highly recommend this place for New Year's!!

You are also able to paint ceramics (you need to pay) cheap and they will 'touch up' when you are done - looks very professional - my kids did one every day!

My only complaints are the food and the pool..... everything is wonderful - the resort is older but staff are wonderful (although many do not speak English very well) - during the Christmas break, there were mainly Mexicans at the resort

Room Tip: Upgrade when you arrive
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Kklong
Write a ReviewReviews (4,565)

Reviewed 29 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here a few year's ago (spring break 09). It looked interesting on the web site so we thought we would try it out. We quickly figured it out that this resort is quite old and in need of a major over haul. We stayed in a junior suit that looked great on the web site but really was nothing special at all. The layout of the resort is kind of neat in that each building only has i think 6 rooms. so you do not have all the noise of a usual resort and the people walking up and down the hall way's
The buggy's that take you to your room's work well for the resort. I would not want to walk it all the time. Once in awhile was okay, but it is all up hill. Just like it looks on the web site.
The food here was not good at all. Enough said. Not good.
The beach's were great other than if you want a lounge chair you might consider putting your towel on it some time in the night, as they were alway's taken by 8am.
Overall a very interesting stay, next time it will be the Barcello or Dream's.
O'ya the booze was terrible, nothing like a cold beer in a styrofoam cup, and the cheap hard stuff all day long. We ended up buying the good stuff in town to everybody's amasement when they saw us drinking it.

4  Thank geoffs088
Reviewed 29 December 2011

4 of us travelled to Las Brisas over Christmas and had a great time! This is my 8th trip to Mexico, but my first to Huatulco - our travelling partners have been to Huatulco before and stayed at Dreams across the bay so we got a good comparison.

Right from the moment we checked in the staff was over the top helpful, at every turn they were sure to go out of their way to make you feel welcome & comfortable. There was a full bus load of us checking in at the same time, and having been at the back of the bus we were last to get to the counter but it didn't take long at all. We were shuttled to our rooms, and we were pleasantly surprised at how great it was after all of the reviews we read before we left. True that the rooms are a little older, but we found them to be incredibly clean, and we found everything that we needed - including daily towel art. We were reluctant to not have a patio on our unit, but the windows were so large and opened over the secret beach (we were in Pueblo Nubes) so we never felt deprived of one.

The deal maker on this trip, and for this resort for me were the beaches. I admit I am usually one to lounge around the pool and avoid the sand but I never once spent a day around the pool here. Compared to other places in Mexico the beaches here are extremely swimmable, and the water was always warm and enjoyable. There were kids playing at the edge of the water unsupervised as there wasn't a strong undertow that you tend to find in other places. The first time I waded out into the water I was surprised to find such huge fish swimming right up to, and around me! I quickly got used to it and spent the trip exploring the reef that was just off shore.

Overall we had such a great time, the food was good, not amazing, but there was always something to eat, and we did enjoy some great a la carte dinners - some of the other travelers I talked to indicated that they found the food repetitious, but I later found out they were too lazy to book the a la carte dinners and ended up at the indoor buffer every night. Dinners weren’t hard to book, we left it to the morning of and didn’t have problems getting our pick of places. The hotel also hosted a great Christmas Eve gala - so we had Turkey and all the fixings - what a surprise!

By comparison to the other hotels in the area, and for what we paid I will be going back to Las Brisas very soon. The other hotels across the bay seemed to have better pools, but the beaches weren’t as swimmable as Las Brisas. This is certainly not a 4+ star hotel, but they don’t claim to be and they went above and beyond our expectation for what we paid.

I could write another page about all our experiences here but I will spare you all - feel free to send me a note if you have any questions!

13  Thank badmonkey84
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We got a great last minute super deal to Huatulco at this resort. Our only two issues during the trip really were the 3 hour delay leaving Edmonton and the two days that jellyfish decided to take over the water (stopping me, but not others, from snorkelling). We booked with Sunwing and while our flight delay was a bit frustrating and tiresome (after getting up at 3:30am for 7:30 scheduled flight), all the Sunwing reps were especially friendly and helpful. We appreciated all the helpful tips we were given at our orientation the first morning and tremendously enjoyed the three tours we took (rough guide, paradise found bay, las brisas waterfalls). Our tour guides were all friendly, helpful and made our tours so worth our time. Thank you Carlos, Everardo, Saoul, Iliche and Miguel (to name a few)!!! We would take the coffee plantation and crocs & turtles tours the next time we go, with our kids hopefully.

Upon arrival 3 hours late to resort, we were all greeted with cold drinks and were checked in rather quickly. After a quick shuttle to our room, we ordered room service which was quick and delicious (burger for hubby and chicken tacos for me). The cheese in Oaxaca area is absolutely delicious and worth bringing home! We never had trouble finding food to eat at the buffet or snack bar (and my hubby is the pickiest, ketchup eater you've ever met!) and the a la carte restaurants were wonderful too. Kasbah and Mediterranean were our favourites. The service from beginning to end of our trip was exceptional and we enjoyed the flower art on our bed each morning (after leaving a nice tip on the bed for the cleaning services staff). They came even on the days we said we didn't need it! Our air conditioning could have worked better (we never bothered complaining about it), but the fan helped and we simply left our windows open to enjoy the breeze in the evening and listen to the waves. The lack of bugs made this a great option and a nice part of our trip. Waking up to the sun most of the time was fabulous and a nice change from waking up in the dark at home!

It was easy to visit La Crucecita by taxi (about 30 pesos, but be generous and pay 40-50). The taxi drivers are all over town when you need a ride back to your hotel. The people were exceptionally friendly and I only wish I had more souvenirs I had wanted to buy from all the great street vendors and the ones in the stores. Buy some vanilla to bring home, or you'll wish you had :D The town is extremely safe and anyone who recognizes you is likely to ask if you need help finding anything, which happened to us several times. Please tip anyone who offers you help or services of any kind, they truly appreciate it and work hard for their money!

At the resort, we enjoyed all the walking, but there are shuttles if you have young children or have mobility issues. They are very quick when you need to use them. We needed to walk off all the great food and drinks! Sangria and rum punches were very good, as were the pina coladas. Explore the grounds, there is so much to see - including birds of all kinds, flowers and plants, 4 private beaches, plenty of fish whether you snorkel in the water or not and lots of reptiles such as geckos and iguanas. On our last morning, I waded into Ventura beach waist deep and fed the half dozen large fish around my legs some bananas. It was a lot of fun to watch them chase each other around me and there were plenty of fish to see without having to stick your head under water (in case that's an issue for you). While the resort certainly does show its age in some respects, it is clear they are taking steps to improve the resort from its Club Med days. Despite that fact, our room was large and the king bed was big enough to get lost in. Our view could not be beat and dinner at El Mexicano right on the beach was one of our trip highlights. Probably worth the extra to get a romantic candlelit dinner on the beach, if you aren't toting your kids with you. They go the extra mile at this resort to keep their guests happy. The nightly shows were great, when we did enjoy them. We were too tired the first few nights after needing to adjust to the 32 degree temps. Go into the ocean or the pool to cool off and drink lots of water plus keep your head covered. The sun down there is amazing! We will definitely be coming back for another visit and bringing our kids along to enjoy all the things we loved about this trip and this resort.

I cannot understand all the negative comments made by others. No issues of any kind, and my stomach is the weakest of anyone I've ever met. We had ice in our drinks all the time and ate fruits/salad frequently. Service was great and I don't think anyone there knows the word 'No'. And incidentally, we enjoyed having so many other Canadians and many Mexican guests at the resort. We will need to learn some Spanish before our next trip so we can make some new friends with the more local hotel guests. This was our first trip of this kind, in an all inclusive, but one of the other Canadian guests who is extremely well travelled had many great things to say as well, including on the quality of the food so we aren't the only ones who enjoyed this resort during our stay last week.

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanview for tremendous scenery and one farther away from main portion of resort for qui...
12  Thank Petrina L
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Booked a junior suite and was given a room that was close to all the pathways that the small carts drive along. Room was old and needed redecorating and was noisy. Was advertised on the website as having beautiful views (true if you like to look at rooptops of adjacent rooms. Had to pay for an upgrade to a more "deluxe" room. That was fine for two days until I had to again change to another room because of a very offensive odor (smelled like a dead rat) in the room. The third room was fine. This resort is good if you are looking for a family vacation with a lot of Canadians or are a couple who wants that type of experience. The beach at the resort is nice; food is mediocre, drinks are watery. Wouldn't return. I heard that some of the other resorts (Dreams, Barcelo, Camino Real) are a lot better.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank sharpeiSanFrancisco
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I were booked into the Las Brisas for a two week period from Nov. 8th to 22nd, 2011. However, we transferred over to the Barcelo after eight days and would have done so sooner if we could have.

Overall, the resort is lovely with lush tropical foliage and three secluded beaches with no access for vendors. During the time period we were there, there were jellyfish in the snorkeling area due to some tradewinds in the area. Several individuals we spoke to had been biten.

The junior suite is massive. I'm not sure if they are configured differently because ours was nothing like the brochure or website pictures, which were modern in comparison to ours. Our room was certainly showing its age. There was a separate room with a large balcony, dining area, pull out bed, bar area with a sink and mini bar and coffee maker. The other room was our bedroom with a full picturesque window of the Tangolunda Bay. The bathroom was large with two sinks and, my favorite, a huge marble shower. Truly, way more room than we needed but still appreciated. Air conditioning worked very well. The balcony sliding door and window did not slide together too well which allowed insects into the rooms.

Two families we met found three scorpions in their rooms. We only encountered a little gecko, who we welcomed since they eat the little "no-see-ums" that bite you when you don't know it but the bites still continue to itch after two weeks.

The main buffet is completely indoors and the windows do not open. We really enjoy eating our meals outdoors whenever possible, so were somewhat discouraged by this. It was a 20 minute walk everytime we left our junior suite for either the buffet, restaurants, beach, lobby, taxis, entertainment, pools, etc. Yes, there are shuttles and they were frequent but they proved to be a nuisance. There are absolutely no elevators anywhere even to the lobby. Now I only mention all of this not because we don't like to walk but that I experienced some major intestinal issues after my meal at the a la carte Mexican restaurant on our second night. Walking the 153 stairs on only one section of the jaunt up the hill or even riding in the winding shuttles did not make for a pleasureable experience. My husband was fine the whole time.

The entertainment team tried really, really hard. However, in the eight days we were there, there were only two major shows and they were poorly executed to say the least. Very few guests showed up for these shows either. Chairs were very uncomfortable to sit on for any length of time.

We flew with Sunwing. The reps in our hotel were helpful but mostly seemed interested in getting you to sign up for tours and then really didn't want anything further to do with you after that. However, Antonio did manage (for a price) to get us moved to another resort, which we very grateful for.

We took three Sunwing tours viz. Coffee Plantation (which we really enjoyed), crocs and turtles (which was interesting) and the City & Pluma Hidalgo (which was an adventure in itself given the condition of the roads in the Huatulco area). Be forewarned, the roads are windy and in poor repair. Bring your gravol with you if you in any way have issues with motion sickness. My husband was downing them like Pez candy LOL.

Some of the a la carte restaurants are only open a few days during the week, so you have to make sure to book when they become available. The Mexican Restaurant is open every night for dinner. We did eat at the snack bar on a few occasions but unless you like burgers, hot dogs, fries and bad pizza, I would opt for the buffet. The menu in the buffet changed daily.

Taxis to and from the resort were readily available at a cost of 30 to 40 pesos depending on whether you were coming or going, it varied, but we just handed the driver a 50 peso bill every time. Going into either La Crucecita or Santa Cruz was fun. We even walked from LC to SC on one occasion. It was a nice 30 minute walk.

We enjoyed clay oven baked pizza at La Crema one night in La Crucecita. Delicious! Beer, alcoholic drink and medium pizza came out to $16 Cdn. They open at 7 every night. The town is alive in the evenings, so it is fun to experience that as well. Very safe any time of day, especially around the main square.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Cathlyn
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Staying at 10 all inclusive hotels in Mexico this is the worst food we had in Mex io

• Stayed: November 2011