Las Brisas Huatulco
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
5,135 results
All reviewssnorkel beachmar sectionthe mexican restaurantbelly dancermiddle beachfishmain beacha la carte restaurantsla crucecitael mexicanosecret beachmain barclub medbella vistabird watchingtennis courtsshuttle service
Reviewed January 14, 2012

My husband and I and our two teenage sons traveled to Las Brisas the week of Jan. 3-Jan 10, 2012. From the time we landed in Hualtuco and got onto our transfer bus to us arriving to the hotel, the experience was quick and easy. When we arrived to the hotel, check in was quick and painless. Our room wasn't ready, so we decided to grab a map and take a tour of the hotel ourselves so that we can be familiar with the 50 acre property. Glad we did as the grounds are huge and beautiful. I was so happy we choose Las Brisas as it had all the amenities, charm and scenery we could ask for. As we sat on the beach and looked across the bay, all we could see was three other hotels, that looked like a cement block with no ambiance or scenery. Yes the hotel is older and yes you have to do alot of walking up and down alot of stairs, but who wouldn't welcome a little extra exercise to work off all the food and drinks you consume in a week. Our rooms were in Estrella and they were more then we can ask for as we don't spend much time in our rooms-just to shower and sleep. We tipped our maids daily and both our rooms were clean and the towel art was a lovely addition. We ate at all 4 al la carte restaurants and had no problems getting reservations. We booked all four at the same time and we only had to eat at the buffet 3 times during our stay. The food at the buffet for both breakfast, lunch and dinner was great. I have food sensitivities and I am lactose intolerant and I always managed to find something to eat that was tasty and delicious. Much to my surprise they even had lactose free milk which made enjoying my coffee every morning so much better. The bar service on the beach was fantastic. We tipped our waiters and our bartender daily as well. My husband was being brought drinks, when he didn't even order them. Now that's service. Hats off to Marcello and Roberto for making all our drinks and making it easier not to even get off our lounger to retrieve them. My boys had a fabulous time and are looking forward to returning next year for another family vacation. We have traveled to alot of different islands and have stayed in resorts ranging from 3 stars to 5 stars and we can honestly say, this was the best resort we have ever stayed at. It was quiet, lovely and the landscape was absolutely breathtaking. The next time we go, we will upgrade to a ocean front building in the Mar section. We had a partial view in Estrella and it was lovely to wake up every morning to a beautiful sunrise and hearing the waves of the ocean. The ocean was very refreshing and the snorkeling was better then we experienced in Curacao. My kids saw all kinds of sting rays, large multi colored fish, water snakes and even blow fish. All in all , anyone who complains about this resort or any holiday should just stay home and not go anywhere. Those type of people are never satisfied. If you go with an open mind and remember that you are in a hot tropical country with a beautiful beach, scenery, no cooking, no housekeeping instead of being back home when its -20 degrees with lots of snow you will thoroughly enjoy your holiday.

Room Tip: Estrellas were great, if you want a full ocean view then ask for the upgrade and stay in the Mar section.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank kbtlfamily
Reviewed January 13, 2012

The resort is in the beautiful area of Huatulco, Mexico. I visited for 7 days with my girlfriend in January. The weather is a consistent 30 degrees or warmer, and there is barely a cloud in the sky at this time of year.

The area surrounding the resorts is mostly catered towards tourists, however their are beautiful mountains and dense jungle close by, that stretches for as far as the eye can see.

The staff is extremely helpful and their service excellent. Just smile and be nice to everyone, and you'll get everything and more that you asked for.

The tennis courts and activities are generally excellent.

The resort is large. You will have to do a lot of walking, so I wouldn't advice elderly people to come here, or anyone with disabilities. There is a taxi service (golf carts) that works reasonably well, but it's not always easy to get to the taxis. I personally enjoyed walking up hills because I'm active, and I enjoyed all the local flora and wildlife that inhabits the resort. Most of the other resorts are just huge buildings on the beach.

The rooms are plain, but nice. They aren't new, and they have a more tropical feel than a renovated apartment in Canada. The bathrooms are nice as well, with marble and glass, although they aren't as modern looking as some may like. The rooms were very clean, and the maids did an amazing job.

The hotel was very well maintained as well. There were people painting the walls on structures outside, fixing railings, painting side walks and gardening etc..

The MAJOR disappointment however, was the food. The buffet was typical buffet/all inclusive; monotonous, greasy and bland. Although it was better than I expected, and there were some reasonably tasty dishes, there were some that were horrible. The desserts were decent, although there could have been more chocolate.

The main problem were the restaurants. They were a COMPLETE JOKE. Much of the food was shared with the buffet, and a lot of the dishes were just terrible. I would have refused to pay for them, even if they were from a simple diner anywhere else in the world. The restaurants were truly terrible. People generally just went to the buffets after eating at the restaurants because the food was almost not palatable.

The hotel is great for families, but isn't the greatest for couples due to the kids flying around everywhere.

All in all, we had an excellent trip, that was better than expected. I usually don't do all inclusives, but for the price this place was a great deal.

The food was bad at the resort (and probably most of the other resorts), but we went into La Crucecita and went to some proper restaurants, which made up for it.

I would rate this a 3.5 star.

Room Tip: Just be nice and ask for a room with an ocean view, higher up. The ground level room balconies can be seen into by the people above. There were a few rude people asking for rooms, who didn't get what they wanted, but we were polite and smiled at people, so we got excellent service all around.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Magnetite1
Reviewed January 11, 2012

The hotel is nice, but what made it superb was the hotel staff going over and above to please all guests. They were always there giving us rides inside the hotel, bringing us drinks at the pool, beach, lounge, etc.
The food was clean, varied and fresh, with Mexican specialty dishes and also Hot Dogs,burgers and vegetarian to please everybody.
The drinks were fantastic. Brand name liquor with plenty of it in every glass and they kept coming!
The rooms are very good, but not the best I have seen. Everything was spotless, confortable, functional and our complimentary mini fridge was always full with 4 Coronas, pop and bottled water.
The hotel was also extremely clean, and its 3 private beaches were gorgeous, with palapas and beach chairs for everyone. The specialty restaurants served great food and as per usual with superb service by the staff.
They also have friendly Iguanas everywhere! they are very fun to feed! The hotel pools were always clean and very well served by the pool bars. The towels were always pressed and warm!!!
Once more, I cannot emphasize how much the staff contributes to our wonderful experience, as they took it to the next level. Certainly a 5 star overall experience!!!!!!
Now, many of the horror stories about food posoning is more like booze poisoning and not washing hands before eating...
Thanks to Las Brisas. No doubt we would return.

Room Tip: If you get a room with a bad view, ask the staff if they can help. They seemed to be always willing to do anything for their guests,
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank F G
Reviewed January 11, 2012

The reviews vary amongst our family, my husband and I together with 3 adult children. The property is large and requires a lot of walking and climbing, we were all ok with this.
Our 3 children stayed in a family suite in Nubes. We stayed in a large room in Estrella. Both rooms had lovely views of the ocean. We later learned that those in the know upgrade to Mar. The rooms are really dated, the towels are large but thin and hard. Both rooms were clean but both had a horrible smell. The one in Nubes was worse. We did not complain as there is somewhat of a language barrier. Luckily I travel with candles in a tin for these types of situations.
The New Years eve celebration was amazing especially the fire works, the food was only marginally upgraded from the regular buffets.
The food was our biggest complaint. The single buffet was repetitive and boring. When we first arrived the trays of tomatoes, cucumbers and melons were delicious but after a few days we realized that was there was not much else for fresh available. As others have said the Oaxacan cheese is amazing. The single buffet was limited in hours so if you arrive at an awkward hour or want to eat before you leave you may be out of luck, also slow moving line ups to get a table do occur. The a la carte restaurants were ok but seemed to be the same food, small portions and except in the Mediterranean Restaurant we served all 3 courses very quickly.

The bars are available but hours are also limited. I was ok with this as less drunk behaviour was evident. You will have to pay for liquor upgrades and we never really figured out how to do that when we wanted a better bottle of wine than the single variety offered.
The resort is in desperate need of a face lift and as someone else mentioned I was put off when I first arrived but was ok when we left. The beaches are lovely, the pool areas ok. I love the Canadian/Mexican mix.
Make sure that your towel cards are in the envelope, we did not check closely as they give you room cards and a room key. When I went back to the desk to get the cards I had to get cranky, believe me the beach towels are less than lovely and no one would want to take them home. But they seem to believe that they are worth $35 each.
As with most Canadians we travelled on Sunwing and that was ok except for the return trip when 80 (yes 80 bags) were never loaded onto the plane. This was poorly handled at the Edmonton airport and the bags did not arrive for 3 days.
I do not think that I would return to Las Brisas but others in my family say they would

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank D W
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Had a great time, definitely would go back.
This Resort seemed to be mostly Canadians and Mexicans holidaying, everyone was friendly and courteous, especially the Resort staff. This is definitely a family oriented resort, though our 20 yr old son made lots of friends his age. Food was good, decent variety, drinks were all name brand alcohols, beer on tap was Corona. Hotel room was nice, huge bathroom, air, safe, replenished bar fridge, and satellite tv. No balcony though I believe you need to upgrade for that. There are 3 beaches, all great with nice sand and the water was easy to swim with medium waves. Snorkeling was fun as there is a small reef off one of the beaches. The resort is built into the side of a hill and lots of steep stairs but carts are running constantly and we prefer walking. We like the fact they would not allow food outside the restaurants so the beaches and grounds were always tidy. We went to La Crucecita for shopping and had a great pizza at La Crema...walking around town you felt safe and no worries. You get vendors trying to sell to you, but they are very polite and only ask once, not pushy at all. They put on a huge bash christmas eve which was very well done and organized, served roast turkey, beef, and pork along with seafood and all the trimmings.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family