“Las Brisas Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Huatulco
Los Angeles, California
“Las Brisas Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

....Although quite far if you come from Oaxaca, Huatulco and( staying at Las Brisas Resort) was worth the trip.I was happy with the security,amenities, entertainment , clanliness and food.The hotel staff were very courteous and non intrusive.

Room Tip: Rooms are at a distance from from the lobby.This is not a place for disabled guests or whoever has...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank paulviajero

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We just came back from our 3rd trip to Las Brisas and Huatulco. We will go back but maybe try another hotel as more and more people with kids are finding this location and we go on holidays to leave the kids behind. Having said that, the food is okay - nothing special, but always in abundance and you'll always find something you like. Lots of stairs so this place is not for the mobility challenged. The grounds and views are fantastic; the staff are all friendly and speak english (although most not fluently). The fact that the majority of visitors are Canadian, something like 90%, is just an added bonus. From our first visit in 2008, I think there is some upgrading getting done but it would be nice to get new beds - hardest thing I've ever tried to sleep on. Air conditioning in the room worked great; the water was hot and the pressure in the shower was more than adequate; the view from the balcony was unbelievable and the sun rise shining in our room was wonderful! The snorkelling is really good but unfortunately, we were told the reef died last year, except a small core, so I don't know for how much longer the snorkelling will be good. The beaches have nice sand and they all have cabanas and/or umbrellas and lounge chairs to get out of the sun.

5 Thank AMandBill
Gibsons, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

The Las Brisas Huatuclo has something for everyone from the young to the mature.
Great property with lots of space and 4 beaches to choose from for your activities. In our opinion the beach off the Mexican Restaurant has the best reef for snorkeling so no need to go much elsewhere with the exception of La Entrega Beach which we took by boat charter.
We were the most impressed with a local fishing and sightseeing guide name Juan who runs the La Morena from the Las Brisas. He goes above and beyond for the customer and we highly recommend taking his charter out to fish, look for dolphins, whale and tortugas. He was excellent and spoke very good English and proud to say we have made another friend for life. He helped make our experience of Huatulco very memorable. Lots of walking at this resort if you like that, but also shuttles to take you everywhere if you are not wanting the extra exercise to go from rooms to restaurants and beaches, they run all the time or just call and they pick you up and return you to your room anytime. We have been to other destinations in Mexico and this resort is very nice and highly recommended. Dont forget to get the best Heuvos Boltiera( eggs over easy) at the Mexican Buffet breakfast with Carmen the cook. She makes them to perfection every time.

Room Tip: I recommend spending the extra and getting a junior suite. It has a seperate bedroom and a nice livi...
4 Thank Lynn G
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is a very very large property in need of updates.
The location offers fantastic views' the staff is mostly very helpful, the rooms are in need of upgrades including WIFI which is only available in the lobby.
Great food, fantastic views!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank oibarra3
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I was back at Las Brisas for the forth time just before Xmas and it was a bit disappointing compared to previous visits. The trip started on the wrong foot with Sunwing Airlines not informing passengers we had to backtrack and fly to another city first to pickup passengers and then make our way down to Huatulco. This added about 4 hours to the total travel time and their response was just poor. Sunwing gave us vouchers to use at the airport for meals but none of the foodservice places would take them! Said they didn't accept these or trust Sunwing. Excellent. In the end, we arrived, the weather was spectacular as always and my favourite bartenders were there to greet me with a cool drink.

For those who have not been to Las Brisas, please understand that the property and service is great but I was used to a higher level in my previous visits. I hope they were just off for some reason this last time and not that this is an indicator of the new norm.

Construction was a bit of an issue and this information was not provided to us prior to booking - great tour operators will advise you of such things but this was not the case. Loud construction was underway at the main stairway area by the adult pool section to the lower beach bar area along with the Solarium restaurant on the activities beach. The restaurant was completely shut down and they seemed to be gutting it for renos. Put it this way, it was loud and if you were at either the adult pool or activities beach, you weren't relaxing unless you had really loud music playing on the iPod. But hey, it truly is paradise so I wasn't going to complain about this.

Certain staff were more incredulous than I've experienced in the past. The bartenders and restaurant employees are fantastic, particularily those of the main bar and Bellavista restaurant. Outstanding!

The animation team who lead daytime activities and evening performances, however, leave something to be desired. They have attitudes that you cannot believe! Either looking down their nose at you or alternately being innappropriate toward you. Flirting is fine but this one guy who also passed himself off as the gym manager was just plain annoying. Not sure how many times I could explain I wasn't interested in his personal salsa lessons and i'm sure i was not the only one. That was definitely annoying.

Also, I have never experienced truly ignorant behaviour at Las Brisas but there was a girl working the activities beach towel station one day that actually frightened me. I am always super friendly with the staff and normally get excellent response. This girl would have none of that. Upon returning our towels one day, she took them, gave me the most nasty look and then turned around to do something. Now protocol is that they give you cards back for the towels because if you do not return the towel cards at the end of your trip, you are liable financially for them. I said excuse me to her and she ignored me. I again tried to get her attention and she again gave me a look that I thought would be followed with her fist coming at me. I asked for the cards twice before she acknowledged it and finally handed them over. She was the most horrible person that actually deterred me from going back to that beach for a while.

Room towels were not well replenished throughout the trip. One day we didn't get any bath towels, the next no hand towels. This went on a few times and even when I called to get them, I only received them one time. Multiple calls, only one was responded to. That was dissappointing and my worry was that they would think we had stolen them.

We had a late checkout upon departure and had our room until 5pm. I don't know if management hadn't informed the cleaning staff about this but from about 3:30pm on, they were knocking at the door to see if we'd left. Phoning and hanging up multiple times for the same purpose. I actually had to call the front desk and tell them to stop calling us. This stopped it but I should not have to request not getting multiple hang ups while they check if we're still in the room!

The one fabulous thing about Las Brisas is the on-site currency exchange. I always know I don't have to take pesos with me but rather can easily get them there and at a good rate. The only thing I found this time was that you must have perfect cash for the exchange. There cannot be a crease or dent in the cash, otherwise they will not take it. Said the bank returned it to them if it wasn't in truly mint condition and then they were out the amount. Seemed strange to me since I hadn't heard of this the three times previous I'd been there. Good thing I had gotten my money out of a bank ATM and most of the cash was new. Otherwise, i'd have been in trouble - keep this in mind.

Overall, Huatulco is spectacular and generally, Las Brisas is great. I will go back again and hopefully then, will be able to report the few annoyances of this most recent trip were just blips in their usually high level of hospitality.

Room Tip: Estrellas section is great for the standard rooms. Ask for ocean view - fantastic!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank AlphaTangoZulu
Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Our 4th trip to Huatulco- 3rd to Las Brisas.

From time we landed til we got to hotel was 1.5 hours.
While waiting to check into our room, we were greeted with a small can of Corona :)

At check in you will receive:
Room cards
Towel cards- one can get towels either on the upper level by the pool or at the snorkel shack
Safe key and lock
Mini Fridge key ( daily stocked with water, pop and beer )

This was the first time we got a room which faced the bay - Estrella's - Mirach- 2344 , awesome view
Fresh bowl of fruit.
In room coffee maker with coffee etc supplied.
In room blow dryer
Shower only
We had a king size bed which was comfy; however pillows not so great.

Pools- 3 different sections- 1 is an adult only.

Beaches- 3 different areas- Snorkel Beach, Main beach and Activity Beach.

Breakfast @ 7am- 11am either at Mexicana which is located at the Snorkel Beach or the Buffet.

We prefer the Mexicana ... Omlettes, Bacon, Pancakes, yogurt, granola, cold cereal, hot cerealfresh fruit, coffee , juice ... something for everyone.

Beach Bars open @ 11am- 5 ( main bar open 11am til I think 12am)
It doesn't matter which beach you are at , they serve drinks on the beach.

Lunch- 12pm-5pm located in either the Buffet or the area beside the Main Bar .

Supper/Dinner- 7pm-11pm Buffet

If booking an a la carte- concerige close to the Check in counters.
Tour Bookings lower level

Internet- In either the store ( lower level) or a wi-fi connection on top floor ( check in counter area). Some evenings we were able to get a connection in our room; however very slow. There were 2 days with no internet connection.

ATM machine- located in the store.
or
In Santa Cruz there is a Scotia Bank
or in La Crucecita ( not sure of the name thou)

Main grocery store- Super Che

Taxi ride from resort to either Santa Cruz or La Crucecita- 4 peso's
From one town to other - 2 peso's

Love Las Brisas/Huatulco - friendly people, good food/drinks, weather hot and feel totally safe.

12 Thank cd050
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

We returned to Las Brisas (after being there in 2011) with our 3 adult sons and their wives. This time we upgraded to the beach club section and would do so if we return. The balcony is a big plus for us as we enjoy it so much in the morning for coffee and with a group of 8, it was a great place to visit. The Beach Club also has a separate area for morning breakfast and "happy hour". They had lovely snacks etc for the guests in this area. If you stay in this area, you also get unlimited al a cartes. We noticed many improvements to Las Brisas in one year. There are brand new pergolas around all the pool areas which provide much needed shade. Last year we saw few people around the pool as there was no shade. New improvements also to the buffet area with new chairs and flooring. They are also attempting to put a few ramps here and there, which would help out people with strollers etc.We found the food better this time as well and none of the 8 of us ever got sick or complained about any of it. Our son's had room service a few times and found it very good and relatively inexpensive. The girls also had massages and they were wonderful As stated before, a big plus for this resort is the outstanding staff. We always received a warm hola from every person you walked by. The only disappointing thing for our family is that we hired a local who sits along with beach to take a boat ride to see the dolphins and we went out and did not see any. We went last year with this same fellow but for some reason they avoided us this year. If that is my biggest problem, then oh well, we will just have to return and try it again!

Room Tip: upgrade to Beach Club Area
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family